I'm not 100% sure, but I think the JPG is required for the LCD / PLAY view.

Just minimize the JPG to 1.8 Mb. Doesn't take up much storage.

I think no jpeg is needed for the LCD display. But your second point makes sense. When importing into Lightroom the jpeg is discarded because, if needed, one can be produced from the DNG file. One advantage of a low-res jpeg in addition to the DNG is for previewing black and white versions of a scene. A quality B&W can be derived from the DNG later.

Do you think a firmware update could change that - and in case - could one hope for that to come?

The JPEG is used in lieu of an embedded preview, so no, it won’t change. It didn’t change in the case of the X1 either. What’s wrong with the JPEG anyway?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By RDqPS
      Hallo in die Runde,
      mit erschrecken habe ich heute die Bilder einer Winterwanderung ausgewertet. 
      Nicht nur das die Auflösung völlig unzureichend ist ( Aufnahmeauflösung DNG) auch sind chromatische Abweichungen deutlich zu sehen die sich großflächig über Bereiche des Bildes verteilen. Es hatte etwa -3 Grad draußen, der Akku war voll und es gab eine Fehlermeldung auf dem Display die ich nicht weiter beschreiben kann, da ich die Kamera just abschaltete während ich eine Fehlermeldung erkannte... 
      Beispiel füge ich an. 
      Vielen Dank für eure Hilfe schonmal an dieser Stelle!

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Al Brown
      New firmware is out for the M, version 2.1.0.0., but also for M262, 246 etc.

Who knows what's new?

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By kuzco9x
      I just firgure out that my Leica M10, the DNG files opened and exported to JPG by photoshop are always brighter and less contrast than the original JPG generated by M10 body.
      Is there something wrong?
      This is the jpg exported from dng.

And this is original jpg by body

• By MNvA
      Ich habe RAW-Dateien aus der D-Lux 7 mit dem Adobe-DNG-Converter in DNG-Dateien umgewandelt und dann in Lightroom 6 importiert. Dort werden die Dateien ganz kurz in Farbe dargestellt, dann allerdings dauerhaft nur in SW. Gibt es eine Möglichkeit, die RAW-Dateien in LR6 als Farbbilder zu importieren, ohne auf das aktuelle LR-Abo umsteigen zu müssen?
    • By Jhhallissey
      Even though I believe I'm following all the steps (battery fresh out of the charger, SD card empty, formatted in-camera, holding only the firmware update file) I'm not able to update the firmware of my T (currently running 1.6, looking to upgrade to 1.9). Is there a wonky combination of settings that makes the Video ON + Turn-on not work (the camera just starts up normally). I've successfully updated the firmware in the past, so I'm baffled. Thanks!