Leica M Monochrom - Steve Huff's review

wosim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve Huff today published Part 1 of his review:

Steve Huff, The Leica Monochrom Review Part 1. Understanding the Camera and vs FILM - :)

More M Monochrom reviews you can find here:

https://sites.google.com/site/wosimsphotography/links-testberichte-reviews/leica-m-monochrom-testberichte-reviews

Regards

• Like 10

The Problem with Steve Huff is, that after his reviews..... I just would love to go out and buy the stuff...

and I keep saying to myself.... I don't need a Monochrom. I fine with my M9P... I don't need one...

Well....

B

Edited by Borbarad

I'm finding it hard to read the blog of a man who think everything he shoots is great - from the CV 50/1.1 to the noctilux to every leica lens out there, from the M3 to the MP, to the M8, M9, MM.

Erm, really? Or does he write his reviews in a way that makes you want to go to B&H and Adorama (via his affiliate links, of course) and buy stuff? :)

He's a pretty cheery sort of chap, but I really would like more objectivity in the reviews, which is why I stick with Sean Reid and Lloyd Chambers.

Still, Huff makes for nice, light reading on dark, dreary days :D

• Like 6

i enjoy Steve Huff's enthusiasm and open-mindedness towards new products. It's a refreshing change from the bitter, negative, and overly critical viewpoints of many people online.

We all know the Monochrom is a polarizing device; either one wants one or they don't. I want one, i just don't want to pay $8k for one.

• Like 6

Although nice, a lot of money for a monochrome camera.

It would be nice for someone who does monochrome only.

I like color mostly and some mono thrown in. So I can make a mono from the M8 or M9 and not have to carry two cameras like the old days, one color, one mono. A big advantage to me is having color or mono in one camera, high or low iso, indoor or sun exposure WB. Do not have to carry color filters for mono.

I just scanned some T Max 100 that I took 20 years ago. It looks fantastic. I probably should compare it with what I can do with the M9. No doubt the MM can better either with high iso which I do not use and with big prints which I rarely make.

Big prints take too much wall space and I would rather display more small ones. The image is posted in the architecture section under original MM. JPEG compression is not doing it justice.

Just my opinion and everybody`s needs are different.

I'm finding it hard to read the blog of a man who think everything he shoots is great - from the CV 50/1.1 to the noctilux to every leica lens out there, from the M3 to the MP, to the M8, M9, MM. ...Still, Huff makes for nice, light reading on dark, dreary days :D

He has noted that when he tests something he doesn't like, he just doesn't bother to review it. While that explains (a bit) why his reviews are positive, it leaves the question about what else he tested and didn't like, and what he just never tested.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve is a photographer first... Pixel peeper, second (or third or something...). He tries to enjoy and find the proper use for very piece he writes about. I love reading his reviews... And looking at his pix... "daily inspirations"? That is a different story...

Leica fan boy (like my self)? 100%...

The trouble with Steve Huff is perspective, read 90% of his reviews and the item is the best, Steve won't let it go, he LOVES it etc, etc. Yes even the fated Nocti copy from SLR Magic, still sited on his site. And still paying advertising fees...

Steve, I used to really like your reviews, I still like your writing style but can't believe your undying love for products any more :(

Photographer and Happy go Lucky money maker as far as I am concerned who offers a somewhat unique angle but of no use to me as his opinion is fickle to say the least.

• Like 2

it's a crying shame that Steve used his website to complain - very publicly - after leica invited him to their exclusive mm launch event party but didn't give him a loaner mm with 50cron apo to review for more than a few hours there...

• Like 2

The problem with both reviews imo: the shown photos don't illustrate the potential of this camera. They could have been done with any other midrange-quality cam.

Are you expecting a Magnum photographer to review it? Don't hold your breath

• Like 1

The problem with both reviews imo: the shown photos don't illustrate the potential of this camera. They could have been done with any other midrange-quality cam.

No internet reviews can show the potential of the camera. You can only see the true potential of the camera with printed results.

There is no "problem" with either. Neither cost us anything, and both are simply personal opinions. I welcome them. Both are a long long way better than the woulda coulda shoulda arm chair expert bull **** from people who don't own this or the new M we get daily in here.

• Like 2

Like all reveiws you need context, the last quotes:

"So far my experience with the M Monochrom has been very good. I have never shot only Black and White before. I have never owned a Leica before"

Like all things on the net the better you understand the context and possible influences the more you can evaluate the merit for your own purposes.

• Like 1

Like all reveiws you need context, the last quotes:

"So far my experience with the M Monochrom has been very good. I have never shot only Black and White before. I have never owned a Leica before"

Like all things on the net the better you understand the context and possible influences the more you can evaluate the merit for your own purposes.

I am only sharing my personal experiences and I can't be bothered to focus on any technical aspect and comparisons at all. I'm not interested in that. I clearly state the fact (several times) that I have much to learn about the camera and system still.

My main objective is to show that you can produce a vast amount of different styles of images with the MM. Most of the reviews I have seen online focus on the sensor, the technology, pixel peeping and usually show very flat files as examples, which many people has complained about. As you probably can see, my example images are not that flat, simply because I want to highlight that the files doesn't have to be flat even though most reviews show flat and grey files as examples. It's all up to the end user how they want their files to look, but processing the MM raw's requires a very different approach than raw files from cameras with color filter arrays.

Edited by borge

I

My main objective is to show that you can produce a vast amount of different styles of images with the MM. Most of the reviews I have seen online focus on the sensor, the technology, pixel peeping and usually show very flat files as examples, which many people has complained about.

Johnathan Slack's China images were too black and white for many people's taste (mine included) but should have put to bed this silly "too grey" discussion before it even started. Sady not though eh?

I am only sharing my personal experiences and I can't be bothered to focus on any technical aspect and comparisons at all. I'm not interested in that. I clearly state the fact (several times) that I have much to learn about the camera and system still.

My main objective is to show that you can produce a vast amount of different styles of images with the MM. Most of the reviews I have seen online focus on the sensor, the technology, pixel peeping and usually show very flat files as examples, which many people has complained about. As you probably can see, my example images are not that flat, simply because I want to highlight that the files doesn't have to be flat even though most reviews show flat and grey files as examples. It's all up to the end user how they want their files to look, but processing the MM raw's requires a very different approach than raw files from cameras with color filter arrays.

We are saying the same thing.....