M8 lenses

fred2511

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After few weeks with my M8 I ave decided to invest in my first good lenses.

For now all my lenses are really old and not perfect.

My budget is pretty small and I ave found some Zeiss and Leica lense.

.Minolta 28mm f2.8 M Rokkor. .Zeiss 28mm F2.8 ZM Distagon

.Leica 28mm F2.8 Asph M Black 6bit. .Leica 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-M

.Leica 50mm F2 Rigid Chrome .Zeiss 35mm f2 Biogon ZMT*

The Leica 28f2.8 Asph is almost double the price that any other on my list

Comment about the M-Rokkor 28/2.8.

Very good lens indeed, superbly made, not quite as good but almost as small as the favorite Elmarit 28/2.8 asph.

3 problems though :

- The lens may develop white spots coming from moisture on the black coating of the rim. See 28mm M-Rokkor White Spots - Photo.net Leica and Rangefinders Forum.

- The lens brings up 35/24 instead of 28/90 frame lines on the M8. There is a solution (that i did not try) consisting in mounting the flange of the M-Rokkor 90/4 in lieu of the existing 35/24.

- The lens needs 40.5mm UV/IR filters which are not easy to find. The "Rocolax" ones sold by "GiantCrafter Studio" on e**y work fine but have no internal filter thead so one cannot stack another filter or screw a screw-in hood onto them. See 40.5mm Optical UV-IR CUT filter for camera lens US | eBay.

I'm not sure if you've found some bargains for these- for the price of the Rigic 50/2 chrome Summicron' date=' you could purchase a new C-Sonnar 50/1.5. I have both, and the C-Sonnar is on the M8 90% of the time.[/quote']

I ave found a 50 rigid Summicron for about the third of the price of the c-sonnar.I ave 3 50mm lenses already and I more tempted by a 28mm or lower.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Comment about the M-Rokkor 28/2.8.

Very good lens indeed' date=' superbly made, not quite as good but almost as small as the favorite Elmarit 28/2.8 asph.

3 problems though :

- The lens may develop white spots coming from moisture on the black coating of the rim. See 28mm M-Rokkor White Spots - Photo.net Leica and Rangefinders Forum.

- The lens brings up 35/24 instead of 28/90 frame lines on the M8. There is a solution (that i did not try) consisting in mounting the flange of the M-Rokkor 90/4 in lieu of the existing 35/24.

- The lens needs 40.5mm UV/IR filters which are not easy to find. The "Rocolax" ones sold by "GiantCrafter Studio" on e**y work fine but have no internal filter thead so one cannot stack another filter or screw a screw-in hood onto them. See 40.5mm Optical UV-IR CUT filter for camera lens US | eBay.

The M-Rokkor I found is from a dealer and it will give me 6 month warranty the price is very low to.

The 28 elmarit Asph is 4 time the price of the Rokkor and the 28 per Ash is about double of the Rokkor or the C- sonnar

I'm not sure if you've found some bargains for these- for the price of the Rigic 50/2 chrome Summicron' date=' you could purchase a new C-Sonnar 50/1.5. I have both, and the C-Sonnar is on the M8 90% of the time.[/quote']

300 pound or 500$ for the rigic 50/2 ,but a guy on eBay as a 35/2.8 and a 25/2.8 Zeiss for a very good price to

The M-Rokkor I found is from a dealer and it will give me 6 month warranty the price is very low to.

The 28 elmarit Asph is 4 time the price of the Rokkor and the 28 per Ash is about double of the Rokkor or the C- sonnar

I have a Rokkor 28 (had a good deal too) and am not impressed at all, I'd say test the sample from your dealer or go for a pre asph 28 Elmarit . BTW I have a 50 cron Rigid 1 I can sell you for 500$ !

Edited by jmanivelle