Anyone tempted by D-Lux 6?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi NikonandLeica,

Yes, a MacBook Pro, a Nikon (D200 for macro and animals) and a Leica (Digilux 2 for the rest). :p

Did I say welcome to the forum? ;)

If not, welcome and feel at home :D

Hi Michel, thank you for your kind words. What animals do you get in front of your lense? My 'big' camera is also a Nikon D 200, I live in South Africa, I'm a forester and tourist guide and most of the time one can find me in one of our wonderful national parks, i e Kruger, Addo, Kgalagadi and others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife was certanly tempted by it and bought me one for my birthday!

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to wring it out yet but first impressions are that it will be an awesome little camera, especially in low light situations.

Now what to do with my 2 D-Lux 4s?

Hi

I have just sold my 5 for a 6. the start up and focus is so quick. I normally lug around my A900 Sony but this is a superb back up and great walk around.

The built in spirit level is great.

The f1.4 for indoor is so usefula nd over xmas hardly had the flash on.

A great upgrade, ebay was great too getting a very good re-sale ... another eason for having the Leica over the Pana.

Lee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Definitely seems like this little camera has got the thumbs-up. I have no need to upgrade the D-Lux 5 at present but I definitely think there is a future for compact all-in-one cameras with useful and fast wide to semi-tele zoom. They may not be perfect but they are very handy take-anywhere cameras.

• 3 weeks later...

I would be more tempted by the D-lux 6 if it didn't come with 'free' Lightroom, which I don't want or need, and the price was reduced accordingly. I wonder how many others are put off by Leica bundling software that most people have no use for because they already own either it or a similar product. Its time for Leica to move on from this marketing gimmick.

• Like 1

I've updated to the D - Lux 6 and find it excellent.

The new 'camera protector' is also a useful addition.

The image quality of the camera and the quality of the review images on the screen seems to be a real improvement over my D-Lux 4.

I've posted a few fun images here

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/forum-member-meetings/264066-bristol-dec-30th.html

and here

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/forum-member-meetings/252747-clerkenwell-london-welcome-back-george-james-3.html

Hope this is of some interest

I am very tempted. Have seen a handful of pictures from the 6 but would like to see more. I would also like to hear from anyone who upgraded from the 5 which is what I have now. If anyone upgraded from the 5 can you share your thoughts on it? This may have been posted elsewhere so I apologize if it has been and I can't find it. Thank you.

Guest Paul Jenkin

I've owned (happily) a Lumix LX3 for a few years and feel it's time to look at the LX7 / D-Lux 6. As the lenses are identical and the Lumix also offers "manual" aperture control ring around the lens, I wanted to do a reasonable (if not wholly scientific) test of their output. Okay, I know how they "feel" comes into the equation as well but, for me, output is most important.

How do I use the camera? Well, I have a Nikon D3 for any "serious" digital work and most (90% +) of my photography is still film based (Leica M6TTL, Hasselblad 500c/m and Mamiya7). I use a hand-held meter but I no longer have a Polaroid back. Therefore, as well as needing to be a superb point and shoot camera, whatever I buy will also double up as a part-time meter checker and "instant" feedback for my medium format kit (24-90mm angle of view is approximately the range of lenses I use with medium format.)

Price? Well, I don't need any more software, so the prospect of saving £250 over the price of a D-Lux 6 makes the LX7 a very tempting option.

Anyway, having shot both cameras, I'm struggling to see much, if any, difference in JPEG quality. Shooting RAW (or raw?) and undertaking a bit of creative post-processing alters the look of the photos to the extent that, in my opinion, it negates any perceived benefit from using the Leica.

Much as I prefer the look of the Leica and would prefer to own one, I can't justify the extra cost - which seems to be made up of bundled software and the brand / logo. I may be proven wrong over time but, for a point and shoot, I just can't justify the additional cost when there's an almost identical piece of kit that will give me everything I need.

I pick my LX7 up on Saturday.

Edited by Paul Jenkin
typo

I've got about 40 different shots from a D-Lux 6 on my blog. Just keep going back until about mid November when I bought it.

Craigphoto’s Weblog

Your pictures with the 6 and your blog are both fantastic. The pictures were just what I was looking for. I am wondering if you also went for the view finder? If so....your thoughts?

Your pictures with the 6 and your blog are both fantastic. The pictures were just what I was looking for. I am wondering if you also went for the view finder? If so....your thoughts?

Appreciate the comments. The shop I bought it from didn't have the viewfinder in stock when I bought the camera so I have gotten a few months use without it. Most of what I've shot didn't need it as I could see the image on the back of the camera just fine. But certain lighting conditions where the sun was in my eyes made it difficult to see the screen so will probably buy one soon. The screen on the back is very good and I'm surprised to get the images level in camera much easier than looking through the viewfinder of my Nikon D3.

Appreciate the comments. The shop I bought it from didn't have the viewfinder in stock when I bought the camera so I have gotten a few months use without it. Most of what I've shot didn't need it as I could see the image on the back of the camera just fine. But certain lighting conditions where the sun was in my eyes made it difficult to see the screen so will probably buy one soon. The screen on the back is very good and I'm surprised to get the images level in camera much easier than looking through the viewfinder of my Nikon D3.

Thanks for the info. I will probably try it first without the view finder, but it does seem like it could be very helpful in the sun...plus pretty cool!

I have not had my DL 6 very long, but with the few pics I've taken as well as those I have seen on-line, I am ecstatic about this camera. Love the color rendition, especially in low light. Also love the camera's look, quality feel, and ease of operation. It seems to me that I could take 95% of the photos I would ever desire, to a wonderful level of IQ with this. I will eventually also buy a full frame mirror-less when a top quality version is introduced with interchangeable lenses (looks like Fuji or Sony are likely to get there well ahead of Leica/Panasonic, unfortunately). That would cover any need to blow up the photo to wall size, or get some ultra zoom pics. But outside of those two contingencies, I am pretty pumped by this camera, and now it is only my picture taking/composition ability that will be tested. No more excuses about my camera. : )

(...) I will eventually also buy a full frame mirror-less when a top quality version is introduced with interchangeable lenses (looks like Fuji or Sony are likely to get there well ahead of Leica/Panasonic, unfortunately). (...)

The Leica M is just about to be released. It's a full frame mirror less camera. The quality is said not to be too shabby. Also, it seems it will be the only full frame mirror less camera for a while. :D

I had to sell my Leica V-LUX1 a couple of years ago. I bought a D-LUX 6 a few days ago from my local camera shop (Norman Camera). I wanted a portable, carry everywhere, camera that would be decent for indoor shooting. The D-Lux 6, is so far, fantastic! The focus and shutter speeds are excellent. I have no doubt that the D-6 surpasses my current capabilities as a photographer and hope that I can eventually utilize it to its full capabilities.

This photo was taken my first night with the new D-LUX with avilable light, and it was not a posed, set up shot. The full size JPEG looks really nice!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by math-geek
Added photo information.
  • Like 1