Marks on brand new M8 lensmount normal?

sgriffee

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish you luck in getting this fixed or resolved with a refund.

But seeing as you have had the camera for a few weeks and never contacted the seller, Adorama, about it at the time you first noticed it I doubt they will do anything for you.

My M8, 7 weeks old, with many many lens changes, 50mm/2 old, 50mm/2 new, 40mm Cron-C/2, 35/2, 90mm/2.8 Tele-Elmarit on and off with all many times (2200 images total), doesn't look anything like yours. In fact none of lens mounts my M3's look like that.

It actually looks like someone honed it down.

If you look at the EXIF data there is a Image Unique ID field that has HEX data that will tell you just how many time the shutter has been actuated. Just type in the last 3 digits into Windows calculator set to scientific mode, HEX radio button, then tick the Dec radio button. That will convert the hex value to decimal and tell you the true shutter actuations.

I suspect that camera has a ton of shutter actuations.

If the first image you shot with the M8 was L100, seems like someone else shot the first 99 photos on your camera.

Doesn't it seem the camera was used prior to this owner?

jeff

All Leica M8 image start with the default L100, unless you change the folder on the card. It is what comes after the L100 that matters.

To be completely clear, when I tried the camera in the past couple of weeks and was having back focus problems I wrote an email to Robert Fisk at Leica Repair in New Jersey explaining the my focus problems and frustration.

He kindly replied with an address and instructions to send the camera for repair.

On the same day I read about the user-accessible rangefinder adjustment here:

http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/13933-new-backfocus-thread-solution.html

…and performed the adjustment with the 2mm allen key without problems fixing the backfocus issue (I was very careful and did not touch or damage any part of the camera, including the lens mount).

I wrote back to Robert Fisk explaining this and he replied thanking me for my follow up email/glad that everything was working well.

The back focus problem seemed to have returned today and I decided to post the photo of the my M8 lens mount at the beginning of this post to see if it was normal. After the responses here, it is clear to me that the marks are not normal (and, I must emphasize again, the wear on the lens mount were there PRIOR to me ever mounting the 40mm Nokton or any other lens on the brand new camera).

This is certainly not the experience I dreamed of when deciding to buy the Leica M8, but I do love the camera, and hope either Adorama or Leica will help.

Thanks again for the support,

Simon

Here's a more detailed shot of the wear on my new Leica M8 lens mount.

I'm obviously looking at things more closely now, and it might be nothing, but notice also the small indentation on the top of the Leica red dot.

http://simongriffee.com/images/leicam8lensmountdamage_dt.jpg

I'll keep this thread updated with developments. Thank you for the tips and encouragement from everyone. It helps a lot.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shootist: Here is the ImageUniqueID of the 7th frame I took with the camera:

I followed your instructions and the number that came up was 389.

Thank you for the tip.

Well that shows that there was a few shots taken before you got it. But having some shots on the camera is normal. My L100 count is at 2176 but the Image Unique ID is 2269 menaiing there was 90 shots taken on it before I got it. Leica has to adjust everything in the final assembly process and in doing so they actuate the shutter . So 50 to 150+ shots over the image file count is not bad and fairly normal but yours says it had 382 extra.

I would do what other have suggested and send all the data, with the image you posted here, to Leica USA if Adorama doesn't take care of you.

Most everyone keeps referring to the lensmount as having marks on it but it appears that the chrome finish is warn completely through. I'm just wondering what could cause this as I have cameras that are 30years old and don't show this kind of wear. With all of the M8's being returned for one reason or another is Leica replaceing the non functioning cameras with new units? Do they resale the repaired cameras as new?.

Here's a more detailed shot of the wear on my new Leica M8 lens mount.

I'm obviously looking at things more closely now, and it might be nothing, but notice also the small indentation on the top of the Leica red dot.

http://simongriffee.com/images/leicam8lensmountdamage_dt.jpg

I'll keep this thread updated with developments. Thank you for the tips and encouragement from everyone. It helps a lot.

looks like someone took the red dot off to do some adjusting to the RF.

the first time i saw the photo of the mount it was a "OMG" synaptic response. I am really surprised that your hex count for actuation is below 400. from the looks of the wear it looks like it should be closer to 40,000+ and number of lens changes of the same magnitude

did adorama sell this camera as 'new' ? sorry if this sounds stupid. There is no way that the camera mount looks like it came fresh from the factory.

I've changes lenses many hundreds of times on mine with at least 7 different lenses and all that's happened is the matte surface of the chrome on the mount has become evenly polished and slightly shiny. It looks nothing like your mount, even my very old and much used M4 is nothing like that.

Bob.

Guest sirvine

As I write this, the Adorama ad is taking up the top-right corner of my screen.

Listen, don't take any $%^# from Adorama, ok? Hold your ground, because some of those guys (some, not all) are going to try to make you back down. Hold your ground--it's just the way things work in the wonderful world of hardcore wholesale camera shops in NYC.

Be reasonable, calm and level-headed, even if they aren't. Just don't let anyone intimidate you. If you need someone to represent you in person by visiting the shop, let me know. ;)

Simon--

Whoever the previous owner was, I hope they at least cleaned the gook off the sensor before returning the messed up thing to the store. :D

Adorama isn't going to hassle you. They were taken by the previous customer.

Are all the cards with the camera? If you didn't get a warranty card, it's almost a sure sign the camera is used.

--HC

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I trust Adorama will help sort out the problem, or if that fails, then Leica will.

The camera did come with all the cards, including warranty card (which I'd already filled out and sent off), quality test certificate matching the serial number and signed with a real ink signature, etc.

I'm also baffled as to what happened to it and how it was sold in this condition.

Cheers,

Simon

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I trust Adorama will help sort out the problem, or if that fails, then Leica will.

The camera did come with all the cards, including warranty card (which I'd already filled out and sent off), quality test certificate matching the serial number and signed with a real ink signature, etc.

I'm also baffled as to what happened to it and how it was sold in this condition.

Cheers,

Simon

Why didn't you just return it the day it arrived?

Why didn't you just return it the day it arrived?

That is something we might never understand.

I would of at least called Adorama and emailed them pictures of it.

If the OP is new to Leica RF system he might not of known that was not normal.

robsteve: That is what I should have done, mailed it back the day it arrived—it was a mistake to keep it and not raise the issue earlier.

I was very excited about the camera, my first rangefinder, no prior experience with them other than handling one at a shop for two minutes. When I opened the box and saw the marks on the lens mount I did think they looked strange. But all else seemed in order, and at the time I attributed it to Leica testing and making adjustments to the camera at the factory, it's supposed to be hand-made, etc.

All this doesn't change the fact that it is wrong for a seller to resell returned or otherwise deficient equipment as new without mentioning the defects. If this was indeed the case (no reply from Adorama or Leica yet), then I'll be sure to never buy from Adorama again, and will put up a permanent page on my website detailing my entire ordeal to warn other potential buyers. On the other hand, if they do give me a refund or help me in some other way, of course I'll sing my praises to them instead.

It was an important decision for me to spend so much money on this camera, the most I've ever spent on anything. I've been investing most of the money I've saved the past years on photography because it is what I love to do, but I am by not rich by any means—I could barely afford the Voigtlander after buying the camera and it is the only lens I have for it.

I feel I deserve better than getting a used or defective item from Adorama.

Thanks again for the support, this is a good forum.

Update: Adorama has replied and let me know that I can indeed return the camera to them for either a full refund or an exchange. They apologized for the inconvenience and are sending a call tag via UPS so I can send the camera back.

Two issues remain:

1) I had already filled out and sent in the warranty card to Leica and ordered the two filters. Adorama specified a blank warranty slip must be included with the package. I've emailed Adorama about this asking if there is a way around the problem and providing my phone number.

2) I would like to exchange the camera for a new one, but Adorama seems to be out of stock of M8s at the moment.

My options:

A) If Adorama still agrees to let me return the camera despite the above I can do so for either a full refund or a new camera, which I'll need to wait for (I'm leaving the country in the end of April on extended travel and would very much like to take the M8).

B) I keep the camera. I then send it to Leica for lensmount repair and focus adjustment, and hope it gets back to me before the end of April.

I am leaning srongly toward returning it for a full refund if Adorama will allow me (I believe they should—none of this would have happened if the camera I was sent was indeed new) and waiting to purchase it again later.