Marks on brand new M8 lensmount normal?

sgriffee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

fotografr: Adorama did give me refund and all has been resolved.

Sorry for not reading far enough back in the thread to see that, but I'm happy they responded appropriately.

I'm still curious about the whole ordeal, however. It makes me wonder if cameras that have been returned are being re-sold as new. Something is still very, very wrong with this picture.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes me wonder if cameras that have been returned are being re-sold as new. Something is still very, very wrong with this picture.

That's a thought already addressed in the thread, Brent.

Leica doesn't reship exchanged cameras as new.

Dealers don't as a rule do so either, but sometimes things slip thru the cracks. And when that happens, as in this case, the dealer corrects his error.

That's a thought already addressed in the thread, Brent.

Leica doesn't reship exchanged cameras as new.

Dealers don't as a rule do so either, but sometimes things slip thru the cracks. And when that happens, as in this case, the dealer corrects his error.

Yes, I know it was addressed. I was just reiterating that it is still a concern.

By way of clarification, I was in no way suggesting Leica was shipping out returned cameras as new. I have considerably more faith in Leica than that. My question was more whether some dealers might be doing it. Certainly, that's what happened in this case--whether intentional or not. Most often, there would be no way for the purchaser to tell.

A question for M8 owners: Did your M8 have marks on the lensmount when it arrived? The following photo shows my brand new M8 lensmount prior to attaching a lens, and I would like to know if the marks are normal, perhaps something from the factory lens testing:

brandnew_m8_lensmount.jpg

Cheers,

Simon

Hi,

I have to ask you what kind of lenses you were putting on this body? Any old mounts?

Funny think happend last night. I was playing around with some old mount (9cm) trying to "home" code it and I had maybe 20 times mounted on my M8. Shortly, I was able to see the same marks (as yours) on my camera. I got scared!!

Than I took a Q-tip that was on the desk, dipped in a bit of rubbing alc. and did a swipe.... All was gone.... Mount was again like new. What it was, the "old" yellow brass from the old adapter mount was tranfering on the cameras mount (I guess the age is an issue).

Again, I am not saying that this was the case with your gear, but just a hint for the future...

Hi,

I have to ask you what kind of lenses you were putting on this body? Any old mounts?

Funny think happend last night. I was playing around with some old mount (9cm) trying to "home" code it and I had maybe 20 times mounted on my M8. Shortly, I was able to see the same marks (as yours) on my camera. I got scared!!

Than I took a Q-tip that was on the desk, dipped in a bit of rubbing alc. and did a swipe.... All was gone.... Mount was again like new. What it was, the "old" yellow brass from the old adapter mount was tranfering on the cameras mount (I guess the age is an issue).

Again, I am not saying that this was the case with your gear, but just a hint for the future...

In this case, that would perhaps explain the brass marking on the mount, but would not address the issue of the screw heads being damaged. Someone, somewhere, attempted to remove this lens mount.

sisoje: As I've explained in this thread, the marks were already there prior to any lens being mounted on the camera. The only lens I mounted on the camera subsequently was a brand new 40mm f1.4 Voigtlander Nokton (my only lens).

fotogrfr: The screws actually showed no damage at all. The main visible damage was to the lens-mount and the space directly inside:

http://simongriffee.com/images/leicam8-internal-damage.jpg

The situation has been resolved at any rate and both Leica and Adorama have done the right thing. I probably won't reply to this thread anymore from now on, it's long enough! I'll write about my new M8 in another thread soon!

Cheers,

Simon

• 1 year later...
Here's a more detailed shot of the wear on my new Leica M8 lens mount.

I'm obviously looking at things more closely now, and it might be nothing, but notice also the small indentation on the top of the Leica red dot.

http://simongriffee.com/images/leicam8lensmountdamage_dt.jpg

I'll keep this thread updated with developments. Thank you for the tips and encouragement from everyone. It helps a lot.

Sorry but I can not see the images of mount. please post it again. Thanks:(

Sgrifee,

You and many others (including me) are mislead by the blinking led when you turn the camera on, or when you wait for it to wake up from sleep. In fact the camera is ready to shoot much faster than many dSLRs. You just don't have to wait for the led to stop blinking. The camera is ready to shoot within less than .5 secs

Sgrifee,

You and many others (including me) are mislead by the blinking led when you turn the camera on, or when you wait for it to wake up from sleep. In fact the camera is ready to shoot much faster than many dSLRs. You just don't have to wait for the led to stop blinking. The camera is ready to shoot within less than .5 secs

Diogenis,

0.5 sec is not fast enough.

For a lot of my work in candid photography the startup time needs to be very close to instant, which is why I want to be able to leave the camera on all the time but run into battery problems if I do so.

Diogenis,

For a lot of my work in candid photography the startup time needs to be very close to instant, which is why I want to be able to leave the camera on all the time but run into battery problems if I do so.

for the reason I shoot film, do you that too?

Can someone tell me the point of reviving this ancient thread (where the original image has gone and the issue was resolved anyway) with a new subject which is completely off topic, just because the poster happened to be the same.

It would be like me reviving my anatomy thread to say how much I enjoyed the Annie Leibovitz exhibition I went to yesterday in London.

Bizarre.

Diogenis,

Are you saying that you can bring your camera to your eye, frame (even if very loosely) and take a meaningful shot in less than 0.5 seconds? I'm not saying you can't (after all, some people can juggle swords whilst riding a unicycle backwards) but I do find it surprising.