Marks on brand new M8 lensmount normal?

sgriffee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A question for M8 owners: Did your M8 have marks on the lensmount when it arrived? The following photo shows my brand new M8 lensmount prior to attaching a lens, and I would like to know if the marks are normal, perhaps something from the factory lens testing:

brandnew_m8_lensmount.jpg

Cheers,

Simon

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is 100% certain it did not leave the factory in this condition - and it should not look like this after years of heavy use, so draw your own conclusions.

I would have a hearthy talk with the seller and return it for a refund and take my money to someone that deserves the name Leica Dealer.The screwheads look damaged too.That voids warranty.....

Guest guy_mancuso

Immediately send it back . But also send those images to Leica and report this dealer selling used gear as new. make a copy of the receipt electronically and send it to leica in NJ.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Needless to say, I am very disappointed and upset. I tried calling Adorama but they're closed right now, so I've written the following email to service@adorama.com, copied to repair@leicacamerausa.com:

<><><><><>

Hello there,

I purchased a Leica M8 serial number 3107669 from the Adorama online store on 27 February 2007. The order number was 3362841-1. The camera that arrived had marks on the lens mount from obvious prior use and I would like to return it for either a full refund or an exchange for a new camera immediately.

See the attached photograph of the camera mount to see what I am talking about, and also the following forum thread:

http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-forum/19165-marks-brand-new-m8-lensmount-normal.html?posted=1#post202779

I am very disappointed after spending nearly $5000 for this camera and would like this situation to be resolved as quickly as possible. I would like Adorama to pay for the return shipment of the camera. Please reply as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Simon Griffee

<><><><><>

Thank you for the comments. I felt there was something wrong with the camera when I saw those marks on it as soon as I opened the packaging. They likely have something to do with the back focus problems I've been having with it and my brand new 40mm Voigntlander Nokton.

I emphasize that the marks were there from the beginning, before mounting a lens on it. And I hadn't noticed the screw head damage. Sigh.

-Simon

That is impressive. None of my Ms look like this, even I bought in the 1960s. The M8 has always required a lot more effort to mount a lens than my film Ms - but even with this issue, I cannot imagine how you would get this much wear on the lens mount.

Would a lens from another manufacturer be tight enough to cause this damage?

Guest guy_mancuso

Simon you may have a issue . You bought it on Feb 27th and today is March 15. Your past the 14 day return policy that most mail order places have . I would check that return policy on the web. Are you sure your lens is not causing this , easy to get on and off . If you cannot return it than Leica can replace the mount but not sure this falls under warranty or not. Document everything Adorama say's or writes and i would try to get everything in writing

Philippe D.: Not sure what you mean by picture number, but if you mean the number of frames I've taken, then it is at L100-626. I've had the camera for a couple of weeks with the brand new 40mm Voigtlander f/1.4 mounted on it only (it is the only lens I could afford after buying the camera!).

Again, the marks were there from the beginning, prior to me putting a lens on it. It did look strange to me and I now realize I should have posted this here as soon as possible after opening the camera.

Note that I've registered the camera with Leica and sent in my registration card. I wonder what will happen now. I'll keep this thread updated.

Guy: Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated. I do realize I may have problems returning to Adorama as it's past the 14 day purchase return (7 for digital they say on their policy page here: http://www.adorama.com/policy ).

I am certain that it the 40mm Nokton did NOT cause the marks on the photograph as they were already there prior to me ever mounting it to the camera. I have no way to prove this unfortunately, but I will take some more detailed photographs and post them here immediately.

I do feel Adorama should take the camera back for a full refund.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon, this looks rough indeed. Just to be certain, I would suggest that you check the Voigtlander lens for marks too. If you can show that it has no marks then you have a very clear case. But if the lens shows wear too then things may, just may, be more complicated. . . (I hope this is not the case).

And my compliments on your letter showing remarkable restraint.

Since you are beyond the return-by-date, and since you cannot prove anything, I would not be surprised if Adorama refuses. However, this kind of wear should not happen, and I am almost certain that Leica will straighten it out if you send it in. Drop them an email if Adorama refuses.

Can you post a picture of the back of your lens?

I've looked at the back of my Voigtlander 40mm Nokton and there are no marks:

http://simongriffee.com/images/nokton_lens_back.jpg

http://simongriffee.com/images/nokton_lens_back_detail.jpg

I'm working on getting a detail shot with extended depth of field of the M8 mount.

(Edited post to remove direct image links so it doesn't slow the page down for people with slower connections.)

Guest guy_mancuso

If Adorama fails to refund the money and you want to send it to NJ for repair give Robert Fisk a call and explain this to him. He is the lead in the Leica sevice dept.

Frankly this is unacceptable coming from Adorama

"It's not always about what the client will accept but about what you want to deliver to your client."

:eek:

Is that going to be the shops response?

Shocking btw - don't accept it and take it up directly with Leica. Not the end of the world though as the Leica warranty should cover a replacement mount but why should you be inconvenienced like that when you've bought a 'new' item?

I worked in a camera shop once, they often took minty & boxed s/h gear in part exchange and then sold it on as new. You wouldn't have thought any M8 has been around long enough to show that much wear on the mount though.