Leica had trademarked "M11" in 05/2012..

iedei

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The name, yes, but not the Camera. Porsche 911, BMW M3, M5 have gone the same way, for me my next question is 964?, 993?, 996?, 997, 997.2 etc or E34, E39, E60 and so on. The 'M' will only get you have way.

For me the M'number' was Classic and differentiated the models much more elegantly, they could happily put it in small print or Roman numerals on the top. We all know the M range anyway, the marketeers have now added 'E' in any case

TRUE! but when i look up Audi S4, for example, the automobile is searched for by generations or years. I think it would be pretty silly for us to be searching "2014 Leica M".....as if it's an automobile! :)

Hello Michael,

As per your Post #16:

Does that mean the M & M-E are not the sucessors to the M9 but are rather the beginning of another direction for Leica w/ the M-E sort of being the M4-P & the M being the M6?

Did the quantatative change(s) that came about w/ the new M change the paradigm to the point where the net change was qualatative enough to justify identifying it as the beginning of a new direction?

Sometimes there is a point where quantatative change can become qualatative. ie: When you put the keystone in place in an arch made of a thousand pieces of stone all of them together become a bridge which can float across the sky.

Best Regards,

Michael

Does that mean the M & M-E are not the sucessors to the M9 but are rather the beginning of another direction for Leica w/ the M-E sort of being the M4-P & the M being the M6?

Did the quantatative change(s) that came about w/ the new M change the paradigm to the point where the net change was qualatative enough to justify identifying it as the beginning of a new direction?

No, it’s just a new naming scheme; it has nothing to do with the camera models as such. The change affected the M Monochrom and M-E (which are still based on the M9 hardware platform), just as it affected the M. And of course the S which had long been referred to as the S3 internally.

Hello Michael,

How can M, M-E & MM all just be a new naming scheme &, @ the same time, not be (your Post #16) the models originally called the M10, etc: The sucessors to the M9?

After all, the MM could just as well have been accurately called the M9M & the M-E could just as well have been accurately called the M9E. Isn't it the M that should have been the M10? The M11 should be the prototype engineers are working on in the field today.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello Michael,

Sort of like the other "Leica Standard" or "Model E" of 1932 which was pretty much like its predecessor: The "Leica I" or "Model C" of 1931. The "Model E" was contemporary w/ the the "Model D" or "Leica II" also of 1932 which had a revolutionary range/viewfinder assembly which fit between the shutter speed dial & the rewind & was no higher than the rewind. It changed the whole playing field. An accomplishment equivalent to the full frame sensor that accurately does what the sensor on the current "M" does.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht