Lowest serial Number on M8

satijntje

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M8 has SN 3102140, and was purchased from a friend who says that it was one of the first sold in the Detroit area. It went back to Solms for service when it was several months old. Total actuations about 5500, and no sign of sensor issues.

Regards, Jim

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

• Like 1

My serial number is 3330514, one of the early adopters I guess (still have my MP for film). No. Trips to the infirmary at Solmes, but many thousands of delightful pictures. I still use my Nikons for some shoots, but for the sheer pleasure of photography it has to be my M8 and 28 cron; nothing beats the depth of field and sheer luminance of Leica glass. Almost like transparencies in terms of definition and vibrancy.

• Like 1

I win, I win - 3100302.

Unless someone beats me of course.

I have also a very early M4 at 1175047 - the 47th production M4, bought new from Lizars in Aberdeen, Scotland.

Wilson

• Like 1

My M8 has a slightly odd history although I have a letter from Leica saying it is totally pukka. I ordered it on my return from Photokina 2006 from my small local Leica dealer. Apparently either Leica UK or the rep "lost" the order and it did not arrive and did not arrive. When exactly the same thing happened on my M9, I took it up to a very senior level in Solms and very rapid action ensued. Anyway when the M8 finally arrived, in a sealed box, I noticed that it had had 300 shutter actuations and was not clean either externally or internally. In addition, the warranty certificate was for a totally different M8 with a much later serial number.

I raised the whole matter with Leica, as I was also having electronic problems with the M8. They took it back to Solms, checked it all over and pronounced it was a packing error at the factory, but could not really explain the very early serial number for a camera which had left the factory on Jan 1, 2007. I suspect it was one with the faulty early sensor that had been put aside and had later had the sensor replaced prior to dispatch.

I had it partially upgraded at a later date with the sapphire screen and the more accurate frames but left the shutter as it was. Mine is not too noisy and just occasionally it is handy to have 1/8000 sec.

My local Leica dealer, who I have used for over 20 years, is no longer a premier dealer, not at their choice and therefore no longer sells new M bodies or lenses. I feel Leica UK is making an error in this. Loyalty plays a big role in the Leica buying and owning process and as a result, many of us tend to be loyal to a local dealer. Leica is a boutique product and I personally like the boutique shop approach, where the staff know their customers personally.

Wilson

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just purchased my M8 with serial number 3102192. Actuations says 2342. History recording to papers are first sold in the US (unknown year or date), and now bought in Italy, and brought to Denmark to stay. With me.

• Like 1

Owned for less than 1 week, with 10300 actuations, serial number 3111641, so quite old I guess.

Had one lock up so far in a couple of hundred shots, removing battery fixed it. Is this normal? I'm used to it with my Sigma DP2s...

Regards,

Mike.

• Like 1

Mine's early but not that early: 3105715

It's been fired 26,700 times, of which 3736 are mine since I bought it just over two years ago. Obviously I've got no idea of it's former history but the outside has been well looked after (no dings or scrapes) and the finish has a nice 'well handled' look. It has always performed perfectly for me. I'm really enjoying my new M-E but I'm glad I didn't have to trade-in the M8 to fund it.

• Like 2

M8 sn 3201734

bought it used & serviced by Leica in October 2011 with about 3000 actuations.

Now with over 12900 actuations and working like a charm.

Edited by jmanivelle

Welcome :) Main thing, never use a card that has been used in another camera without formatting it in the M8.

Ah, I'll bear that in mind.

It's a 16GB card that's seen service in my former Nex 5/EPL2 and current DP2s + D3100 and never been formatted (just deleted the files when uploaded).

Regards,

Mike,

• 1 month later...
Just recieved my M8 today from B&H. It is 3106766. Thats only 6 numbers away from idei's. I wonder how many more are that close in sequence? Small world isn't it?

Wandering off the thread a bit but Ffordes are advertizing a second hand 200mm f/4 Telyt

with a serial number only 4 greater than mine. Funny thing was I bought mine second hand from Ffordes back in 1975 when they had a store in Basildon some 600 miles south of their present location in north Scotland.

Just recieved my M8 today from B&H. It is 3106766. Thats only 6 numbers away from idei's. I wonder how many more are that close in sequence? Small world isn't it?

ha! that is very cool. they were probably built on the same day perhaps! maybe by the same person! :)

i've had NO issues with mine...how about you? Mine was upgraded to M8.2 spec at some point by the previous owner though.