Best R Lenses

Paul J

Seems like a good idea, in light of the R adapter, to be talking about which are the best R Lenses in your opinion and why?

Very interested in finding out which are the ones to hunt for.

The latest, generally, are better. There's no mystery, really.

The second 19 Elmarit, the second 28 Elmarit, the second 50 1.4 Summilux (1998), the third 180 (APO) Elmarit, etc.....

the first 250, though, is a lot better lens than is usually known.

there really aren't any 'bad' ones, though the very earliest 1-cam lenses were replaced with better ones

also, Leica sold some non-Leica designed zooms that are not the best ones they ever offered

Edited by Larcomb

Here's a couple of the hidden gems (great performance at a modest (for Leica) price) -- the second optical version of the 35mm Elmarit (circa. 1975 +), the second optical version of the 50mm Summicron (circa. 1977 ) (the 1st version is also very good), either 90mm Elmarit, and the 180mm 3.4/apo. I have used all these lenses and they're great.

People say the 60mm macro is also a great lens, but I've never used one.

It would almost be easier to say which lenses to stay away from (e.g., the 180mm Elmar and first 35mm Elmarit), although even these lenses have their fans.

Having used all the 35's, I still find the original Summicron my favorite, and I found the second generation 35 Elmarit the sharpest. I really like the second generation 135 Elmarit, the 24 Elmarit - a Minolta design with Leica spec glass, the 21 Super Angulon isn't to shabby, the 60 Macro Elmarit, either of the 100 macro's but of course the Apo is the better. The second generation 19 Elmarit is very, very nice, compact, solid and somewhat heavy. though I put a lot of film in front of the first 19mm. The 400 6.8 Telyt, and I found the 560 5.6 Televit better for me than the 560 6.8 Telyt.

I didn't find the 21-35 Zoom construction to be that satisfactory but optically it was acceptable, I really liked the early 45-90 Angenieux - it wasn't the sharpest in the Leica sense, but it has a very nice 'look'. I should mention that there are schools of thought on the earlier 'Mandler designs' and truthfully, if I didn't need the capability for bigger enlargements, I generally prefer the 'patina' or 'pastels' of the early lenses for my style of imagery.

I am interested to hear/find out how the R lenses of different generations will 'look' with the M. To get an idea of what the early glass was like, back in the '70's, Ernst Hass photographed a few books with the earlier R glass and it really all looks excellent.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In light of the R adapter for the new M? Guess it depends on what M lenses one has. The real payoff from the new R-solution will be macro, longer focal lengths and zooms. Within that domain I have to suggest on the basis of my limited experience the following.

Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 (great all rounder)

Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4 may add to your portrait options.

Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm f/2.8 + Elpro (great macro and general purpose)

Apo-Telyt-R 180mm f/3.4 (excellent value for the money)

Apo-Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 (excellent but heavier and more expensive)

Apo-Telyt-R 280mm f/4 (wonderful if heavy)

Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90mm f/2.8-4.5 ASPH (a really useful general purpose zoom)

• Like 1

In light of the R adapter for the new M? Guess it depends on what M lenses one has. The real payoff from the new R-solution will be macro, longer focal lengths and zooms. Within that domain I have to suggest on the basis of my limited experience the following.

Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 (great all rounder)

Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4 may add to your portrait options.

Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 100mm f/2.8 + Elpro (great macro and general purpose)

Apo-Telyt-R 180mm f/3.4 (excellent value for the money)

Apo-Elmarit-R 180mm f/2.8 (excellent but heavier and more expensive)

Apo-Telyt-R 280mm f/4 (wonderful if heavy)

Vario-Elmarit-R 28-90mm f/2.8-4.5 ASPH (a really useful general purpose zoom)

1+

Exactly my thinking except Apo-Telyt 180mm and Vario-Elmarit. For wide to normal M's reign supreme.

Stocks and shares were never my thing but investment in happiness in R stock is going to pay off handsomely.

• Like 1

Seems like a good idea, in light of the R adapter, to be talking about which are the best R Lenses in your opinion and why?

Very interested in finding out which are the ones to hunt for.

Well, macro and tele lenses. Wide-angle lenses you don't need. The M versions will be better. The newer the design, the better, of course.

As a practical matter, the wide, standard, and short tele R lenses will probably be best suited to this new M, unless you want to start carrying a tripod around. And I believe folks will be pleasantly surprised at how well these R lenses perform compared to their M counterparts. . After all, many of them had the same or similar optical formula to the M lenses being produced at the same time. And I've always thought part of the reason why folks concluded M wides were better is because they were on a platform that had no shake from a mirror. It'll be fun to have somewhere compare the two lines of lenses using the same camera. And it will allow people to give their pics a new look. You can't just drop a different film in the camera. The only change in the digital world is the lens or post processing. So I wouldn't be so quick to discard wide and standard R lenses; they may in fact have their place..

Edited by SteveYork
  • Like 3

I was able to find a Vario-Elmar R 80-20 f/4, which is supported in the new M's menu. Do any of the R afficianados here have experience with it? It does strike me as an ideal complement to my M lenses.

Great zoom lens, near-APO! The 350mm, f4.8 Telyt is also a great lens; not many seem to know it, but I love it with the shoulder (gun) grip and the (electronic) cable release on my R9.

• Like 1

I was able to find a Vario-Elmar R 80-20 f/4, which is supported in the new M's menu. Do any of the R afficianados here have experience with it? It does strike me as an ideal complement to my M lenses.

I like it very much. There's some vignetting at the widest apertures, barrel distortion at the short end and pincussion distortion at the long end, but all manageable. Image detail, color saturation and bokeh all quite good, and the construction quality of this Kyocera-made lens is 100% worthy of the Leica name.

The 350mm, f4.8 Telyt is also a great lens; not many seem to know it, but I love it with the shoulder (gun) grip and the (electronic) cable release on my R9.

I was underwhelmed by the 350mm f/4.8, but I suppose my impression was colored by experience with the 280mm f/4 APO. One area where the 350/4.8 is clearly better than the 280/4 is flare control. The 350 seems immune to flare while the 280 will show some flare if there's direct sunlight on the front element.

Edited by wildlightphoto
  • Like 1

The 2.8/90 Elmarit is one of the best pre-aspherical lenses Leica ever build. Ideal for Portraits. Sharp in the center wide open, with a very pleasing bokeh and wonderful colors. Stopped down one stop it is absolutely sharp in the complete field. With an Elpro you can take detailed Macrophtos. It is small, light and cheap. You can not get more Leica for your money.

I like it very much. There's some vignetting at the widest apertures, barrel distortion at the short end and pincussion distortion at the long end, but all manageable. Image detail, color saturation and bokeh all quite good, and the construction quality of this Kyocera-made lens is 100% worthy of the Leica name.

Agree with Doug, it's a lovely lens, I'am also looking forward to trying it on the New Leica M-R.

Ken.

• Like 1

The 2.8/90 Elmarit is one of the best pre-aspherical lenses Leica ever build. Ideal for Portraits. Sharp in the center wide open, with a very pleasing bokeh and wonderful colors. Stopped down one stop it is absolutely sharp in the complete field. With an Elpro you can take detailed Macrophtos. It is small, light and cheap. You can not get more Leica for your money.

Same optical formula as the last 90mm Elmarit-M.

I can't tell a difference between the two versions of the 90mm Elmarit-R; they're both very good. In fact, I tend to like the first one best (my sample from the last production run in circa. '83) Just the 2nd version is so much smaller.

Thanks for the good advice on the Leica R 80-200/4. Managed to find one used and ordered it in anticipation of the Leica M.

I didn't want the chance of waiting and risking either a shortage of good R lenses or prices going up when the rush starts. I did order a R to M adapter just so I can try it out on my M9P, at least at infinity focus.

I did order a R to M adapter just so I can try it out on my M9P, at least at infinity focus.

Don't be hasty in your judgment of the lens in this situation. There is no hard stop at infinity focus on this lens, so you will only know by trial and error where on the focusing ring the true infinity focus lies. It may not be at the infinity mark either, depending on the temperature, focal length, and lens calibration.

• Like 1

I'd favour the 180 2.8 APO in it's most recent version,

the 90 AA Summicron again in the latest version

and the most recent 50 'Lux

I too rate the 60 Elmarit.

The 21 - 35 zoom seems more than adequate.

The above is based on personal experience.

Meanwhile I've heard that....

The 80mm 'Lux is said by many to be an enigmatic and fascinating lens, similar to the noctilux and lots of people swear by the 250 f4 (usually after they have dropped it on their foot...:D)

There is also the 35 - 70 f 2.8, which is said to be one of the great lenses but it is incredibly rare.

Edited by robert_parker