Having fun with the Visoflex and M8

Guest guy_mancuso

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have been following the one thread about the use of the Visoflex III and the M8 for doing macro work. So just testing this out , I found this to be pretty nice. What i have is the Visoflex III and the 90 degree right angle finder no step which i just picked up today , still looking for a vertical finder but anyway i shot these with a normal 90 mm F2 apo and i must say i am a bit impressed with it. I think maybe a lens designed for macro work like the 65mm maybe better . This at least can get you something with your normal M glass. So maybe something that for a couple hundred dollars might be worth it. These are just shots of some flowers i planted last week around the house, nothing special but does give you some idea of the quality , shot them at various apertures

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well my adapter got here today. I grabbed some mangy looking shitake mushrooms from the fridge and a flower from the hedge outside and fired off a couple of test shots with the 65.

I hadn't given a thought to using the M8 (or any RF) this way. I assumed the Viso was a primitive Rube Goldberg contraption from pre-SLR days. But on a tripod, in the studio shooting static subjects you only need to focus, flip up the mirror and fire the shutter. The Viso does that as well or easier then any SLR. I'm looking forward to doing some work with this rig.

The only minus is the lack of a PC terminal. The chimney finder is great for some shots but a pain with some others. I wonder if Paramont can make a hot shoe to PC adapter that has a really thin bit in the hot shoe.

2 more -the cat 5 cables on my network hub was my first shot as soon as I put it together - handheld by available light. Waist level firing with your thumb with M8 handgrip and the chimney finder makes for a very stable rig.

Guest guy_mancuso

Hank I have a little gap maybe less than 1/2 inch between shoe and viewfinder if I could just rig something up to get in the shoe and hang the PC outlet outside it, than it would work. Still looking for the vertical finder for strobe though, exactly the setup you have with the microsync

Guest guy_mancuso

No I don't Ed but the thought about getting one did cross my mind. i may try the 75 lux and 50 lux tomorrow just to see how they do. Still playing around with this a bit

2 more -the cat 5 cables on my network hub was my first shot as soon as I put it together - handheld by available light. Waist level firing with your thumb with M8 handgrip and the chimney finder makes for a very stable rig.

Hank, Guy, is that my linear profile at work here ?

Edmund

Guest guy_mancuso

They were Pascals this is your linear

Guest guy_mancuso

Some more Linear

Guest guy_mancuso

Stuff looks like Kodachrome to me. Last linear

Guest guy_mancuso

Edmund don't go by that red in the flower it really is not a pure red to start with and flowers do throw IR off even though I have my filter on. go with the test charts to be more accurate. But your right the M8 is killer here. Some strong color going on

Edmund don't go by that red in the flower it really is not a pure red to start with and flowers do throw IR off even though I have my filter on. go with the test charts to be more accurate. But your right the M8 is killer here. Some strong color going on

Guy, flowers do throw off the darnedest colors. I once held a deep red filter (for visual, not IR) in front of a deep dark blue petunia. By all that we learned in school, that petunia should have looked deep black. It did in fact come out a dirty dark-grayish red.

Explanation: The petals reflected in two well separated spectral areas, violet/blue, and red. Because of our low visual sensitivity to deep red, the blue overwhelmed the red, and we didn't see it. Not until that filter removed it. It is in fact well to remember that object colors are nearly exclusively mixed, in ways that may surprise us when we analyze them. The rainbow offers pretty well the only spectral colors in nature. And most of us have encountered cases where the mismatch of the subject's spectral mix and the film or sensor gave us a real jolt. In the petunia example, the RGB sensor was my retina!

The old man from the Age of Black and White

Hank, Guy, is that my linear profile at work here ?

Edmund

Edmund, these were the C1 generic. I'm finding different subjects are giving different results with different profiles. I have not figured it out yet. I need to do a range of controlled tests. Different color temperature, high key, flat and contrasty lighting, etc. To try and get a handle on what the pattern is.

Edmund, these were the C1 generic. I'm finding different subjects are giving different results with different profiles. I have not figured it out yet. I need to do a range of controlled tests. Different color temperature, high key, flat and contrasty lighting, etc. To try and get a handle on what the pattern is.

The C1 generic profile has its uses. Very strong reds, in particular.

Edmund

Edmund, In the one test I sent you the reds were better controlled in your LoSat profile then any I have seen so far. I'm sorry now I sold my Broncolor Color Temperature meter. I may have to get myself a another. I got some color casts from a "neutral" ND gel I placed over one of the flash heads in one of the above shots.

For now I am going to start to use a WhiBAl card in every series of shots where practical. So I will have an accurate read on what color balance was for any given shot. It's still early days for the M8 I think we still have a bit to go to extract the full potential of the camera. Perhaps with the 1.10 firmware we will have a more stable platform for nailing down color, etc.,

I think your LoSat profile is best candidate for most situations right now. I'll have 2 tests ready early next week. One with open, flat lighting - same scene with very contrasty lighting. I'll try and get 3 shots with the open lighting covering 3200K, 5000K and 9500K. 35 Biogon with B+W 486 and 50 Lux Heliopan. I'll make the DNG's available to any who are interested.