Having fun with the Visoflex and M8

Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just picked up a Bellows II and a pile of adapters, some of which I might sell to recoup some of the cost. The price was €101, which is higher than recent sales. The prices seem to be on the up.

I am looking forward to getting up close with this and my Visoflex III. I am wondering if I ought to pick up a dedicated macro lens, but for now I will try with my stock lenses.

Why you don't try a M39 threaded enlarger lens with the bellows.?

Maybe you have some already. If not, Rodagons and Componons are really cheap on Ebay nowadays.

Yeah, the focusing screen is the weakness here. I thought of seeing if I could get it off somehow, and send it to Maxwell. Alternatively, perhaps some handy mechanic could adapt something better. Has anyone done any fiddling with the focusing screen?

I did, sort of. I cut mask out of thin cardboard (like visiting card stock) and press-fit it over the screen. Works fine with both prism finder and stovepipe. You will simply have to remember to transport the thing with a finder in place – reversed, if you want to reduce overall length. Or you could make a protective cover that fits the finder dovetails.

The old man from the Age of Non-returning Mirrors

While we're discussing lenses for the Viso, let me put in a good word for the original Elmarit 90 (1958–1974). The head of this lens can be unscrewed and fitted directly to the Universal Focusing mount (OTZFO/16464) of the Viso II or III, without any adapter or extension ring (which for instance the old 135 Hektor needs). It then focuses from infinity to 50 cms, for an object field of 8 x 12 cms on film, or 6 x 9 cms on the M8 both making for a reproduction ratio of 1:3.3. If you can find an extension ring 16471 – see, now I am letting loose another widget hunt! – to go between the focusing helical and the lens head, you will get a 1:1.7 ratio.

I found an Elmarit in nice shape with this use in mind. However, let me issue a warning: I got so enamored of this lens, that I am now using it with the standard lens barrel for general photography! It is really remarkably good, superior to both Tele-Elmars, and stopped down to 5.6 it will really give the current Elmarit a run for its money.

The old man from the Age of Steam Photography

I did, sort of. I cut mask out of thin cardboard (like visiting card stock) and press-fit it over the screen. Works fine with both prism finder and stovepipe. You will simply have to remember to transport the thing with a finder in place – reversed, if you want to reduce overall length. Or you could make a protective cover that fits the finder dovetails.

The old man from the Age of Non-returning Mirrors

As you can see, inside the pentaprism housing there is enough space for a transparant mask, making it multi-functional.

• 1 year later...

Visoflex is a big unknown for me. So please bare with me on this. I want portability just for some flower shots. I have a 50 lux asph and a 75cron. As I understand the most basic compact set up for my needs would be a Visoflex III. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. Many thanks!!

Guest DuquesneG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think maybe a lens designed for macro work like the 65mm maybe better .

If you do your homework you'll find out that the 65 was not designed for macro. It was simply the shortest focal length that could be made to focus to infinity on the Visoflex.

If you do your homework you'll find out that the 65 was not designed for macro. It was simply the shortest focal length that could be made to focus to infinity on the Visoflex.

From the CameraQuest site on Leica lenses:

"65/3.5 Elmar Viso lens designed for macro work. This lens was made for the Visoflex system only and does not mount directly to your camera for rangefinder coupling. The shortest M focal length focusing to infinity with the Visoflex system. It has a great reputation, and is generally considered one of the best M Lenses.

* Chrome version 1960-69

* Black version, 1969-1985 rarer by about a 4-1 ratio in my own experience, improved optical formula."

Is this not right?

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

Guest DuquesneG
From the CameraQuest site on Leica lenses:

"65/3.5 Elmar Viso lens designed for macro work."

Is this not right?

It is not. It is used as a macro lens, it had attachments designed to put it to use as a macro lens, but optically it was not designed as a macro lens.

From Leica Lens Compendium by Puts:

"3.5/65 Elmar, later Elmar-V, 1960

This was a lens designed for the Visoflex attachment. It is a low contrast lens with a soft recording of finer details at full aperture. Vignetting is one stop. Stopping down does improve the performance, but it stays a bit fuzzy.

The use of the Elmar design as a macro lens may be questioned. Distortion is visible."

• 4 weeks later...