Leica M5 Exposure Calculator.

Guest Streetographer

Guest Streetographer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings all.

I'm trying to figure out the use of, and how to use, the Exposure Calculator on the back of the M5.

From what I have deduced so far, it's simply a Point of Departure (Sunny 16) reference for speed & apperture in ideal lighting conditions, or is there more ?

Cheers.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Streetographer

It's nothing specifically to do with "sunny-15" though it could be used that way.

All the outer part really does is let you set any combination of exposure time and aperture and then read off all the other combinations that give the same exposure. I guess that this intended as a convenience for people who were used to the typical hand-held meters of the period, which mostly had a "calculator dial" like this. As far as I know no other TTL camera of the period had anything similar.

The centre section can be set to remind you what sort of film you have in the camera: B&W; daylight, artificial light and - I presume - empty.

This is one place where the M5 user manual is halpful! The M5 has a TTL meter, where it's ability to measure low light depends on the f-stop set. With the lens wide open you can get a reading in low light where closing the aperture would keep the meter from operating if the light to the sensor fell below the sensitivity. Notice that much of the dial is indicated by the "B" range:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Let's say in this case you could get a reading with your Noctilux as 1/4 second at f1.0, but you needed to stop down to f8.0 to get the DOF and sharpness that you needed. Obviously you would have the camera on a tripod, and would need the shutter set to "B" - but how long an exposure? Just set the dial to the exposure you could meter (f1 @ 1/4) and it shows you to set the shutter to B and time a 15 second exposure.

This is indeed similar to hand-held meters of the time, but is specially designed this way due to the sensitivity limits of the M5 meter, and the way it can read lower light wide-open than stopped-down.

• Like 5

Guest Streetographer

Thanks Tom,

That's very helpful and will try to wrap my brain round it later.

I have an original of the manual but all it says about it is that it's on the rear flap. :)

Double Thank you. I've just noticed that's a picture of your dial.:D All now makes perfect sense.

Edited by Streetographer

Guest Streetographer
Check page 12 on your manual.

[ATTACH]335436[/ATTACH]

Derr, silly me. Because it wasn't there with a nice big illustration, I completely missed it.

All clear now and thanks to you and Giordano for the help.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Streetographer,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Sun is for Daylight transparencies.

The Lightbulb is for Tungsten transparencies.

The NE is for Color negative film.

The Black & White 1/4 is for Black & White film, positive or negative.

Enjoy your camera. It has a # of +'s no other M has:

Smallest meter angle.

Overhanging, mostly variable, shutter speed dial. Nicest & easiest to use.

Removable (no need to unless you want to), quick loading, take up spool connected to automatically resetting frame counter.

3 standard flash contacts which are independent of each other.

ASA/DIN visible on the top of the camera body.

Shutter Speed in use is visible in range/viewfinder. Not battery dependent.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 2

Guest Streetographer

Cheers Guys,

I have found the M5 to be the most enjoyable of 'any' camera to use, along with the CL which I consider the M5's smaller brother and the camera that brought me to it.

I still keep the CL in the bag as a backup body, though the M5 is so well built, I don't think I will need to use it (fingers crossed).

All of the misconceptions and folklore surrounding this camera can only help to keep the price down, which is a win win for us M5 lovers.

It isn't noticeably bigger in the hand nor does it feel that much different. The weight feels about the same as my M8 and the meters in the M5 & CL are so much more intuative than the modern & confusing traffic light system.

Our little secret. :)

Edited by Streetographer