M6 question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M6 I have on loan is my first M, and I have noticed the film advance lever has around 20-25 degrees of free rotation before the film begins to be advanced. This free rotation is handy for providing a gap for my thumb to rest in, and enables a speedier advance compared to when the lever is flush with the body.

I assume this free play was designed to be used as I described above? Can anyone please share their experience and knowledge of this?

Edited by andyedward

I assume this free play was designed to be used as I described above? Can anyone please share their experience and knowledge of this?

The lever also serves as the on/off switch for the light meter. I think this is what you experience as "play".

The lever also serves as the on/off switch for the light meter. I think this is what you experience as "play".

After I have taken a shot, the meter will only work again when the film has been advanced. When the advance lever is fully closed, the film doesn't begin to be advanced until 20-25 degrees of lever rotation: there is very little resistance until this point, and the winding lever doesn't begin to rotate until this point either.

This is quite normal. The M6 is fitted with a rapid-wind lever and the free play is from the joint in the lever.

On my M6TTL black paint, which has an M3 lever, the play is less, just a few degrees. It is, nevertheless, sufficient to get a good grip with the thumb and wind quickly.

To quote the M6 manual:

• Like 1

the lever does not work as a switch; the light meter comes into play only with the shutter fully cocked and hence, the white reflective meter blob on the front of the shutter curtains, back in the centre of the throat of the lens box area.

the meter does not power up with the speed dial set to "B" for bulb (long exposures).

The meter goes to sleep after a short predetermined time, unless until the shutter is part depressed.

the plastic loose swivel part of the lever can properly rest behind the right thumb ready to wind on. It doesn't have to, but it is handy if you wind on rapidly whilst holding the camera still up to your eye. The metal part also moves a fair bit outwards before engaging gears, to make the above more workable. As the manual says you can wind in short strokes (like a ratchet) or one long one. The first (multistroke) is easiest if camera is still at eye level.

Personally although I live with the M6 and M7 plastic bits on the winder, I very very much prefer the all metal rigid curve of the MP (and of course M3). This too has a stand off position for ready winding, the lever moves out a fair way before engaging the film take up gears. The MP has a different gear train materials to the M6 and M7 but I cannot tell the difference in use, a run in M6 and a new MP are both like oiled silk in that respect.

• Like 1