Leicaflex - compatible lenses

de_korn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good day to all!

Perhaps this topic has not been discussed, or it was too narrow and scattered. In any case, I would like to invite owners Leicaflex (original version, Mark I & II) to share experiences on later editions R-lens to the body Leicaflex.

I know that not all R-lenses 1-2-3 cam could be used.

If you have experience - please note the name of the lenses that you just used to Original Leicaflex except classical lenses mentioned in the manual.

Just wanted to know, are compatible with Original Leicaflex:

Leica R Vario-Elmar 28-70mm 3-Cam and other young 3-cam zoom-lenses.

Thanks!

With the later model lenses (e.g., last version 90mm Elmarit), the battery cover on the original Leicaflex will scrape the aperture ring. I suspect this will be a problem with all later models that have that "beefier" look. I read a solution is just to change the battery cover to a SL type or the ones found on the SL2.

With the later model lenses (e.g., last version 90mm Elmarit), the battery cover on the original Leicaflex will scrape the aperture ring. I suspect this will be a problem with all later models that have that "beefier" look. I read a solution is just to change the battery cover to a SL type or the ones found on the SL2.

And except lens thickness is no problem?

The battery cover for the SL2's second battery compartment (on the front of the camera) fits flush with the front of the Leicaflex's prism housing so it clears the 80-200mm f/4, 100 APO and 280/4 APO. The 75-200mm f/4.5 is OK on the Leicaflex also.

• 1 month later...
So, you can't use 3 cam lenses on the earlier Leicaflex, SL and SL2 right?

Any 3-cam lens will work on the SL2. Most will work on the Leicaflex (assuming the battery cover problem is resolved) and SL; the exceptions are those lenses that require more mirror box clearance such as 15mm, 16mm, late 19mm, 24mm, 35mm Summilux, late 50mm Summilux, 80-200mm f/4.5, 35-70 f/4, and probably the 21-35 and 28-90.

However, some people don't know the difference between a 3-cam lens and a 3rd-cam (a.k.a. R-cam) lens. A 3-cam lens has not only the stepped R cam at the 6 o'clock postition (looking at the back of the lens) but also has sloped cams at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. The sloped cams are the ones used by Leicaflexes.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmm, it's all a bit confusing. I can see that this is going to take some serious and continuous study. :D

I recently picked up an SL with 50mm cron and I'd like to add a 35mm to this kit. Is my only option the Elmarit f2.8? Unless I read wrong there might be two versions of this lens too?

Hmm, it's all a bit confusing. I can see that this is going to take some serious and continuous study. :D

I recently picked up an SL with 50mm cron and I'd like to add a 35mm to this kit. Is my only option the Elmarit f2.8? Unless I read wrong there might be two versions of this lens too?

The 35mm Summicron-R is an option too. It was made in two versions: the early version (series VII filters) is larger and heavier, the second version (E55 filters) is smaller and lighter. I have no experience with the early Summicron; the late model is virtually immune to flare.

There are two optical versions of the 35mm Elmarit-R in three mounts:

The first optical version uses Series VI filters and shares its hood with the first version of the 50mm Summicron-R

The second optical version was made with either Series VII filters and a detachable hood, or E55 filters and a built-in hood. The E55 version is the last.

The first version of the 35mm Elmarit-R is an adequate lens, nothing to get excited about. It also flares readily. The second optical version is much improved.

No - I use a 35 Summicron R (3-cam) on my SL, and it works fine. (If it wouldn't work on SL it wouldn't need 3 cams: just the "R" cam.) I also use 90 Summicron R and 50 Summilux R.

Just make sure lenses are 3 cam and not R-only "R cam" versions. The R-only 50 Summicron is the most common R-only lens you'll find.

No - I use a 35 Summicron R (3-cam) on my SL, and it works fine. (If it wouldn't work on SL it wouldn't need 3 cams: just the "R" cam.) I also use 90 Summicron R and 50 Summilux R.

Just make sure lenses are 3 cam and not R-only "R cam" versions. The R-only 50 Summicron is the most common R-only lens you'll find.

.... though it was available (less commonly perhaps) as a 3 cam version also.

.... though it was available (less commonly perhaps) as a 3 cam version also.

Yes - the 50 Summicron was available in both 3-cam and R-cam versions. Many were sold as R-cam as a "kit" with a new R body, so the kit costs could be minimized. Thus I think the 50 R-cam is more common than in other lenses.

I bought the R-cam Summicron 50 with my R4, as my other 50 Summicron was 2-cam, and the 3-cam Summicron 50 was more expensive. In hindsite I should have gone with the 3-cam for flexibility.

• Like 1

OK, so you guys are telling me that any 35 Summicron R regardless of cams except for the ROM version will fit the SL? But no 35 Summilux option because of the clearance issues?

I will look for the version two 35 Summicron then. Thank you for the advice...

Some Summicron 35 could have been made as "3rd cam" (also called "R cam") which would not meter on the SL. These would have "For Leica R Only" engraved on the lens barrel (bottom). The SL is not an "R".

Most Summicron 35 would be the 3-cam version that would work on SL or R bodies. These are usually called "3 cam" in ads.

• Like 1

Assuming the seller can distinguish between a 3-cam lens and a 3rd-cam lens.

Indeed - a friend of mine had direct experience of a dealer not knowing the difference. He wanted a 3 cam 50/2 R for an SL2 (which latter he'd bought actually almost for sentimental reasons). He'd already got a 3rd cam only version. The dealer had advertised "3 cam", and surely enough, through the mail came another 3rd cam only lens! (In fairness to the dealer, there came an immediate refund and apology.)

Which is exactly why I'm being really careful and trying to buy only from people who have detailed descriptions and who seem to have a grasp of what they have. Since I'm having trouble getting the subtle differences between these lenses sorted out I bought my SL with a 50mm Summicron already on it so I knew there would be no incompatibility issues.

The photoethography site has one obvious error. Nakamura states that any 3-cam lens can be used on any Leica reflex camera. Because of mirror box clearance issues as described above this is not correct.

Jem Kime's detailed description is quite good but a little dated w.r.t. lenses not compatible with the Leicaflex and SL.

Likewise nemeng.com has a couple of errors: R-only lenses do not always have a collar around the base of the stainless steel lens mount flange. The 50mm Summicron-R that was sold to me as a 3-cam lens but was actually an R-cam lens (and was engraved FOR LEICA R ONLY) did not have the collar and would mount on the Leicaflexes. Also the number of cams do not always suggest the date of manufacture because cams and/or ROM can be added to most older lenses.

Edited by wildlightphoto

The photoethography site has one obvious error. Nakamura states that any 3-cam lens can be used on any Leica reflex camera. Because of mirror box clearance issues as described above this is not correct.

Jem Kime's detailed description is quite good but a little dated w.r.t. lenses not compatible with the Leicaflex and SL.

Likewise nemeng.com has a couple of errors: R-only lenses do not always have a collar around the base of the stainless steel lens mount flange. The 50mm Summicron-R that was sold to me as a 3-cam lens but was actually an R-cam lens (and was engraved FOR LEICA R ONLY) did not have the collar and would mount on the Leicaflexes. Also the number of cams do not always suggest the date of manufacture because cams and/or ROM can be added to most older lenses.

I am not an expert. However, I do use 3 cam lenses on my Leicaflex MkII.