changing lenses

appleman

As long as the inside of the camera bag is clean (and why wouldn't it be) I just put my lenses in the bag and put the rear cap on after the new lens is on. It can't take more than twenty seconds. Steve

Wait: You mean you don't have crumbs from half eaten granola bars in the bottom of your camera bag?

(yes, I actually saw that in a customer's camera bag once when I worked in a camera store)

The problem with couplers: WA lenses have a very real risk of damaging the rear element by hitting one another.

I use back to back couplers - much easier and lower profile than sticking caps together.

I uncap and I grip the new lens in the "bottom" of my left hand, with my third and little finger wrapped around it. I grasp the lens on the body with my index and middle fingers, so that the two lenses are front-to-front. I then remove the lens on the body, twist my wrist and offer up the new lens, clicking it into place before capping the removed lens and putting it away. It takes 12x longer to type this than to do it...

Regards,

Bill

I did a quick and bad video of a 5 second lens swap.

The action of twisting off the back cap and unlocking the lens on the body is done in one action. Hold the lens pointing towards your elbow and twist the back cap off with your index finger and thumb. The back cap you take off the new lens goes onto the back of the lens you take off.

Often my assistants are busy and I find this way super quick and convenient.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 1

So you are outside and want to change a lens. You open your camera bag, and with both hands remove lens from camera, replace lens cap, replace rear lens cap and put lens back in lens case, put lens back in camera bag, unzip new lens case, remove both lens caps and attach to camera. 3 minutes later you are ready to shoot. Must be a quicker way?.

Alan, by lens case do you mean the cylindrical leather case that the lenses came in?

I have never heard of anyone actually using these in the field.

Edit: I have no trouble removing a lens with one hand when the camera is hanging in a shoulder strap - just grip it from above with the right hand, press with the thumb on the release button and twist.

I keep my lenses in open compartments in my bag, a Crumpler Wonder Weenie which has two vertical open slots inside. Often I forget to put the caps on when I place the removed lens in its compartment. Luckily my camera doesn't suffer from dusty sensor.

Edited by philipus

Wait: You mean you don't have crumbs from half eaten granola bars in the bottom of your camera bag?

(yes, I actually saw that in a customer's camera bag once when I worked in a camera store)

I do, and worse! But not in the camera part of the bag.

It's why I don't buy 'fitted' camera bags, mine need to be half a size bigger and have plenty of pockets to put things like a sandwich or water in. I find the thing that affects my concentration the most is be be hungry or thirsty, in which case I'm thinking of cafes rather than photography!

:)

Steve

Look at an original Benser case. You can use another brand with the same design concept. The top opens away from you, and each lens is nesting in its own compartment. There is no need for lenscaps, and the shades are in place. It takes about 20 seconds to open the case and change one lens for another. With a little practice you can do it quicker, in darkness, while climbing stairs or running down a grassy hill.

• Like 1

Hi!

I have 3 lenses with my M9. But usually I stick my 50mm F1.0 on the body and the other 2 lenses 35mm F2 and 75mm F2 in my camera bag without any leather cases. As what some of you mentioned its very troublesome to unzip the leather case.

After each shooting trip, I will clean these lenses with the fine cloth and air blower them before keeping them in the electronic dehumidifier.

Hi!

I have 3 lenses with my M9. But usually I stick my 50mm F1.0 on the body and the other 2 lenses 35mm F2 and 75mm F2 in my camera bag without any leather cases. As what some of you mentioned its very troublesome to unzip the leather case.

After each shooting trip, I will clean these lenses with the fine cloth and air blower them before keeping them in the electronic dehumidifier.

More or less as I do.

Works very well for me.

The leather case that comes with each lens is useful if you travel and have to keep one or two lenses in an ordinary backpack. That is how I use them occasionally.

When going out to take photos I usually use a small Billingham with one compartment for each lens. Lenses are without caps, face down, in the bag. Change of lenses in a few seconds.

• Like 1

One option: glue rear lens caps back to back for quick rear cap exchanges.
Good idea! I'll try that.

My present method;

press lens release turn 1 degree

take lens from bag,

remove rear cap

turn lens off camera

pop new one on

cap old lens and pop in bag

about 10 seconds if everything is where it should be in the bag.

Good idea! I'll try that.

My present method;

press lens release turn 1 degree

take lens from bag,

remove rear cap

turn lens off camera

pop new one on

cap old lens and pop in bag

about 10 seconds if everything is where it should be in the bag.

Didn't I just say this? :D

Edited by RickLeica