Monochrome frenzy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I mean, people are dumping M9's (a camera that, by Leica standards, is still in its infancy) in anticipation of the Monochrome and the M10. Leica models used to last years, or even decades before being superseded by another. .

I've got an M Monochrom on order, will fit in the bag next to the M9.

I carry the M8 separately, in a soft pouch case.

I did sell one of two M3's and one of three Nikon SP's for the M onochrom. Kept the M3 that was manufactured the same month that I was born.

Edited by brianv

No reason except to dig junk out of the basement. Someday I will throw out the CP/m computer.... Both are in the basement...

The Kodak DCS cameras had a color wheel that connected to the camera to make three separate exposures, I did not buy one.

I still have a Berkey DS (direct screen) enlarger in my basement. About 30 years ago, I stripped off the point light source and replaced it with a cold light. Then I threw out the vacuum table and the filter wheel control unit and the pin register holders and ended up with the equivalent of a motorized Omega D5 XL enlarger. Before I put this enlarger on a diet, I made thousands of sets of color separations on it in the 70s and early 80s. My first Hell 300 scanner made this unit obsolete. FWIW: blue filter/yellow negative exposures from masked 35mm film enlarged to poster size would often run 45 minutes which was a long time to sit in the dark.

The Berkey is wrapped in plastic and rests beside my trays and pin register contact frames waiting for me to decide what to do with them. Probably some day my grandkids will dust them off and sell the lot to an antique dealer.

I used a few of the early DCS cameras. Even back then the $25,000 dealer cost/$35,000 list for the DCS 460 was a lot of money to spend on a 6 MB cropped sensor camera that required a hot mirror filter so I didn't buy one either.

Originally Posted by brianv

That was the idea behind Foveon sensors- color without the use of Mosaic filters.

jaapv: But still filters, albeit layered, like film

The Foveon sensor has no filters.

Edited by pico

The Foveon sensor has filters: the IR filter, and the silicon of the detector itself. The sensor uses Silicon, which is sensitive to visible light and Infrared. It requires an Infrared filter. It does not use a mosaic filter. Looking at Diagrams of the 3-layer sensor from Sigma, one would draw the conclusion that each layer uses a color dye to control color response of the layer. Reading some literature, it is stated that the absorption of color as it passes through the silicon layers is the mechanism for color separation.

http://www.foveon.com/files/CIC13_Hubel_Final.pdf

So the Silicon of the detector IS the color filter.

Edited by brianv
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Foveon sensor has filters: the IR filter, and the silicon of the detector itself. The sensor uses Silicon, which is sensitive to visible light and Infrared. It requires an Infrared filter.[...]/URL]

So the Silicon of the detector IS the color filter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianv

That was the idea behind Foveon sensors- color without the use of Mosaic filters.

Quote:

jaapv: But still filters, albeit layered, like film

Fer crying out loud, all semi-transparent materials "filter". You know damn well that my response was to jaap's comment above. He referred to color film that has dyes in layers, and so-forth so; his comment was to conventional filters, LIKE FILM, but that is not a correspondence. Foveon sensors do not use color filters in layers like film, or color filters of any kind except a cover to restrict IR which any idiot knows.

Edited by jaapv
ad hominem removed

FFS, if the mods allow such abbreviations,no Foveon sensor I have bought approaches the results of the M8, M8.2, M9 or MM. And as far as I am concerned, that is all there is to say. I never, ever, could get the Sigma raw processing software to give me colours anything like the world I live in.

Chris

@Brian:

Interesting snippet in that article you linked, Brian, contributing to understanding the MM

In recent work we have discussed several techniques for measuring resolution using colored targets and from this work we can see why this has been avoided by the digital photography community. The Nyquist limits for the individual color components of color filter array cameras are significantly lower than if the color filters were ignored.
  • Like 1

@Brian:

Interesting snippet in that article you linked, Brian, contributing to understanding the MM

In recent work we have discussed several techniques for measuring resolution using colored targets and from this work we can see why this has been avoided by the digital photography community. The Nyquist limits for the individual color components of color filter array cameras are significantly lower than if the color filters were ignored.

Please clarify. What exactly is meant by "ignored"? Does it mean ignored, left out of the physical sensor or ignored meaning no-post processing nor in-camera processing?

And what does it mean by "individual color components"? All of them, some of them, and if the later, which?

Fer crying out loud, all semi-transparent materials "filter". You know damn well that my response was to jaap's comment above. He referred to color film that has dyes in layers, and so-forth so; his comment was to conventional filters, LIKE FILM, but that is not a correspondence. Foveon sensors do not use color filters in layers like film, or color filters of any kind except a cover to restrict IR which any idiot knows.

No- I did not. Looking at every illustration of a Foveon sensor it is shown as having blue, green and red layers: like film. Until reading the technical article, one would not know that absorption by the silicon layers is the color capture mechanism. Also interesting side-effect, maybe better to use a lens with some CA for the blue, green, and red portions of the image to form at the different layers of the detector.