Help! 135 Tele-elmar on Viso III - no infinity focus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks guys!

I picked the viso apart and removed the washer. Quite a nicely made one actually. The screws are longer and in brass, infortuneatly the threading dosen't go all the way up so I can't just replace them. One ball is missing and the springs have been modified so they will need to be replaced too.

I'll try the focusing on my M8 later today, just to see if things are as they should now. It looked much better when I tested it off camera last night after removing the washer.

@ Jan: if you have the specs on the screws I'd appreciate the data.

- Carl

Thanks for helping! Here are a bunch of q&d shots

- Carl

[ATTACH]29495[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29496[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29498[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]29499[/ATTACH]

Carl, I have not read all the posts regarding the Viso, BUT seems to me to notice something in the Tele Elmar HEAD: there is a small flange at the BACK END of the lens unit: SEEMS TO ME (NOT 100% sure, but I remember something in Lager book, do not have it HERE) it can be UNSCREWED, and maybe this is the cause of "limited intruding" of the lens unit into the OTZFO/VISO. I am going to my memory... maybe others TE had NOT that flange... Lager explained why...

My own TE has it... can be unscrewed-screwed again with no sort of risk... TRY...

Carl,

For information, I just tried the same mounting and it works from 1 meter to infinity

is your viso III a scientific one ?

Cheers

jc

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Carl,

Yours is not the scientific Visoflex version, it was simply modified for some special purpose. Also, the flange that Luigi is referring to is a light baffle which was only installed on some early Tele-Elmars. It would be in the way when mounting the head onto the 16464 and can be easily pulled of - it was just a friction fit. However, by this time many of these flanges were lost as their purpose was questionable.

Details of the screw:

Length incl. Head:.......9mm

Head Height:................1.5mm

Thread diameter:.........2mm

Head Diameter:...........3mm

All the best,

Jan

Thanks Jan!

The screws on mine are 12mm long so I'll timply try cutting 3mm off. Theyre brass screws so they shouldn't be hard to cut with a Dremel.The rest of the measurements fit your specs. If that works I'll have to come up with a replacement for the spring loaded balls, if neccesary. Tests will show.

- Carl

Thanks to all for helping out. Here are two test shots from the M8 showing real promise. Both shot using a tripod and UV/IR filters. These are just the in-camera JPEGs resized and gently sharpened using Photokit sharpener.

First one is with the 135 Tele-Elmar lenshead f4, 0.7sec, ISO160. Distance is about 1 meter.

Second one was shot with a 50 Elmar-M mounted directly on the viso. f5.6, 16sec, ISO160.

- Carl

Hello Carl,

Glad all worked out.

Just out of interest - you posted your message at 3:49pm my time, which translates to 23:49 Oslo time. What are you doing up at close to midnight playing with Leicas?...........;)

Cheers,

Jan

Luigi, thanks - I'll check it out when I get home.

- Carl

Carl, I remembered right... tell me if You had this strange "baffle"...

Hello Carl,

the first one is realy nice...;) ..I love the head of the lense it is so fantastic and the "fingerprint" is great..:D

regards,

Jan

..and sorry for not seeing the "big Washer"...:D ..I only saw very thin washers for calibration on some Visoflex.....but ronald did a good job.. :)

Hello Liugi,

the"baffle" is "important" for using with the original mount, but on the visoflex you can't use it, it do not fit...

regards,

Jan

Thanks, Jan, you're right: I just had wondered if a maybe "no removal" of the "maybe existent" baffle could have caused a limited intrusion of the TE head into the Viso focusing adapter (14464), that in turn could have brought the impossibilty to focus at infinity, that was the original problem of our Norwegian friend... these kind of threads are fun a lot for we lovers of old fashioned equipment... yesterday night I tried to screw my TE head with baffle UNREMOVED onto the 16464... you cannot ever reach an initial coupling of the two screws of 16464 and lens head... it stops before against the 16464 inner.

Bye

Luigi