An internet survey of LUF M8 experience to date

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, hope this will bring more insight!

I hope so too... I know that from a lot of evaluation experience that those who are dissatisfied make the most noise. It's reasonable as they feel a need for redress, but the noise drowns out the voices of those who have now complaint...

Again - if anyone's a member of other forums please do post the link to the Survey so that we can get as much evidence of what's going on as possible.

THOUGHT - why on earth don't Leica have a survey of this kind on their website... They know who's registered already. VERY easy for them to do this professionally and get a very good rate of return... It's what I'd do if I ran planet Leica. I suppose that planet Tribble's just an easier place to manage...

Hmm - numbers are rising... currently we have the following picture re problems:

Camera was delivered with a mechanical fault (e.g. shutter failure) 1 - 1.56%

Camera failed from new - it never comes to life. 1 - 1.56%

Camera froze and never recovered 3 - 4.69%

Camera freezes but recovers after replacing the battery 8 - 12.50%

Camera freezes but recovers for no clear reason 3 - 4.69%

No major problems 38 - 59.38%

Other 10 - 15.62%

Total 64 100

"Other problems" include:

incorrectly adjusted focusing

I had 3 body before quetting this one wich seam to be ok

Hotpixel out of the box, camera replaced instantly by Leica

back focus

wheel broken

dust under LCD cover

SD card problem

prob. pix errors and prob backfocus

Rangefinder

focusing is off

I'm using the M8 to take photographs in Berne and Zurich until Saturday - if I can I'll post an update before then - if not, it will be the weekend... GREAT if this survey could be sticky for a week.

Best

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Chris it looks great and I just did my survey . Also we owe you a big thank you from us the forum members . Just let me know when it is ready i will send it to Stefan Daniels at leica in Solms. He will be very interested in this survey

Good point, Scott, forgot about that one:

1) Add ISO knob where film rewind knob was.

2) Add manual shutter cocking (a-la film) lever.

3) Improve IR filter.

4) Make quieter (see 2).

5) Make full-frame

6) Add 2-4 more megapixels.

7) Slim it back to M6 size.

8) Fill in more details in EXIF.

9) Release new Visoflex.

10) Add flash socket (see 9!)

11) Seal screen better against dust.

12) Make rotating knob smoother. Mine is a little rough in one direction.

13) Change covering to M6-style leather.

14) Improve battery life a little (another 100-200 pictures).

15) Reduce size of battery charger for travelling, or offer second, smaller charger without all features, just wire.

16) Support for large SD cards and SDHC cards.

Done.

One comment I added was to eliminate the major source of unhappiness. It is not that the camera fails occasionally; it is how long it takes to get it back.

For a high quality/cost item having to miss it after purchase is unforgivable. Leica should either provide a ready replacement if a new camera fails during the warranty period or at least a permanent loaner while they fix ours.

You would be amazed how much the noise will die down if they do this.

One thing that was not indicated directly on the survey was that it was very possible to love the camera while being dissatisfied with it -- which is simple to say, but if you just looked at my answers on the survey, they would seem to conflict. My camera's on its second trip to Solms. I'm VERY dissatisfied with that. On the other hand, I love the ease of use, the simple menus, the size, the usability, the image quality, the lenses, the manual control, the DNG raw files...

This was very close to becoming (and may yet become) the greatest digital camera yet made. But the electrical/mechanical problems are crippling...

JC

1) Add ISO knob where film rewind knob was.

2) Add manual shutter cocking (a-la film) lever.

3) Improve IR filter.

4) Make quieter (see 2).

5) Make full-frame

6) Add 2-4 more megapixels.

7) Slim it back to M6 size.

8) Fill in more details in EXIF.

9) Release new Visoflex.

10) Add flash socket (see 9!)

11) Seal screen better against dust.

12) Make rotating knob smoother. Mine is a little rough in one direction.

13) Change covering to M6-style leather.

14) Improve battery life a little (another 100-200 pictures).

15) Reduce size of battery charger for travelling, or offer second, smaller charger without all features, just wire.

16) Support for large SD cards and SDHC cards.

Other features (features others want, but which I feel no need for :)):

a) External power feed

B) Built-in dioptre correction in the viewfinder

c) easier to reach exposure compensation

2 things to bump this thread:

1- RE the easier exposure compensation in AE, they should allow to make it through the use of the control dial. Wouldn't it be very intuitive to turn it clockwise to EV+ and to turn it counterclockwise to EV- ? Or, at least, map the compensation to the UP/DOWN arrows inside the control dial...

2- Carsten, would you please add "Not having to press the SET button to set the menu choices", as on the Canon DSLRs, to the list?

Best

Ed

Hi - We've now got 112 completed responses. As I've said before, if any of you are members of other lists M8 users are likely to visit, please do send the link to the survey.

I'm trying to post a PDF of the results so far. I think they make fascinating reading... YES there are quality control issues that shouldn't be there. HOWEVER, a lot of the problems have been fixed by physical or firmware upgrade and most of us have had no significant problems. Also, almost all of us are unhappy with the auto WB - please Leica, do fix this - and we still like the M8.

Great if this could be sticky for the rest of the week.

Best

BTW - it looks like you can't open the link directly (at least out of Firefox on a PC) but if you right click you can save to a local drive and then read... Enjoy.

Survey _ Leica M8 - issues.pdf

My two most important functional items are quicker ISO and exposure correction (not three button presses but something that can be done with one hand, even better if it can be done without taking eye from finder or at waist level without looking).

And I think external power (on a subsequent model) is important. For studio shooting and for quick recovery from power bugs that leave things stuck.

scott

Chris,

The last count you gave on question 1 showed only 60% not having any major problems which implies that 40% have had major problems. I would think that any manufacturer would find a 40% major problem rate much more than unacceptable but more like crises panick time. I hope this trend does not continue. If it does, Leica better move quickly.