An internet survey of LUF M8 experience to date

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you not realize how easy it is to 'make up' a serial number for an M8. 3100426 is not my serial number, but I bet it belongs to someone. It certainly isn't necessary to steal a serial number. Also, so what if someone is selling one on ebay. How does it harm you? I don't understand what the big issue with serial number is.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have no issues with posting battery, M8 body and SanDisk serial numbers. I have had no problems since switching to using exclusively SanDisk Extreme III 2GB cards. The battery numbers might tell a very interesting story. Do the chargers have serial numbers? I spoke to SanDisk UKlast week on the fake cards issue, as I had bought one of mine on eBay. They said if you register a card and it does so without a problem or showing serial already registered, the chances are that your card is genuine. The card prices have dropped so much that big online shop prices are often now cheaper than eBay.

The other thing that I think might be worth doing, if anyone knows someone at a fairly high level at Apple, is to send them the survey. I knew that there were a lot of Mac users on the Forum but amazed to see that it is over 50%. This might encourage Apple to sort the DNG problems/lack of support. There has been surprisingly subdued muttering on the Apple forums about the DNG Finder icon bug after 10.4.9. Some twit even said it was working for him but he got shot down in flames as it turned out his update had failed.

Wilson

OK - I'll add body number first 5 digits (someone said this was a safer way to do it) + main SD card / model used).

That's not asking people to put up too much.

Survey wording will be

======================

M8 Battery experience survey

1/ Please list the battery reference numbers of any M8 batteries you own:

2/ Have you suffered any major failures with any of your M8 bodies

Yes / No

3/ If yes, please summarise the nature of the failure(s)

- non-recoverable failure (body freezes and cannot be recovered by any method)

- failure recoverable by removing the battery and re-inserting

- failure recoverable by removing the battery and replacing with a freshly charged battery

- other (please specify)

Which SD card do you mainly use with the M8

4/ Primary SD Card Brand + Model

5/ Secondary SC Card Brand + Model

6/ If you are willing to provide the first 5 digits of your M8 serial this may help Leica to get this sorted out... Obviously it's not an obligation if you're not happy with the idea of posting this information.

12345XXX

=====================

If this is acceptable I'll put up the new survey. I'll PM Andreas to check if this could be sticky for 5 days (until Thursday). I'm then on holiday for a week and won't be able to check email from the deepest valleys of the Pyrennees. I'll post the final results on Thursday evening London time. Great if Guy could then pass to Leica.

Best

C:

UPDATE

Sean - I hadn't thought about that! Can I ask you to add a comment to the survey so that it gets on the record.

Thanks to all for posting (and to the moderator for making it sticky)

Best

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure what you mean.

Cheers,

Sean

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just forgot to mention one topic:

So far, I have never used the "protect" button, but I'm not a pro.

Maybe this is a necessary function for these guys.

That is why my proposal:

The protect button should be a button, that we can customize.

Maybe 3 or more functions are reasonable:

1. Keep it as "protect"

2. Fast access to ISO (hit button, turn wheel; that's it)

3. Fast access to EV (hit button, turn wheel)

Keep it easy, not so many confirmation activities.

I just forgot to mention one topic:

So far, I have never used the "protect" button, but I'm not a pro.

Maybe this is a necessary function for these guys.

That is why my proposal:

The protect button should be a button, that we can customize.

Maybe 3 or more functions are reasonable:

1. Keep it as "protect"

2. Fast access to ISO (hit button, turn wheel; that's it)

3. Fast access to EV (hit button, turn wheel)

Keep it easy, not so many confirmation activities.

That it is it exactly Karl. Having to go for a menu for EV and ISO is a total pain. I cannot understand why when Leica got it so nearly right on previous cameras e.g. the Digilux 2, they did not on the M8. I know they wanted to keep the interface simple but having to use a menu for the two most common variables is not simplifying, it is complicating the user/camera interface. When you find you are outside your desired exposure/speed/aperture range with the LED's it would be so nice just to have a one touch system without removing your eye from the VF to adjust ISO.

The other way Leica could do it other than the protect button, is just to use the arrows on the control wheel. Up/Down for EV and left/right for ISO. The arrows have no function when in image taking mode otherwise. When you used the arrows, the black/red set menu could come up automatically and show the adjustment just like it does with the set button. Pressing the shutter release would confirm and switch the screen off. I should think this could be done by a firmware update.

Wilson

The other way Leica could do it other than the protect button, is just to use the arrows on the control wheel. Up/Down for EV and left/right for ISO. The arrows have no function when in image taking mode otherwise. When you used the arrows, the black/red set menu could come up automatically and show the adjustment just like it does with the set button. Pressing the shutter release would confirm and switch the screen off. I should think this could be done by a firmware update.

Wilson

Hi Wilson, your idea is much better! But: where do you see the ISO and/or EV figures?

The best would be within the viewfinder window: if you hit ISO arrow, you just see for a moment the ISIO figure, if you hit EV, ....

Possible?

Hi Wilson, your idea is much better! But: where do you see the ISO and/or EV figures?

The best would be within the viewfinder window: if you hit ISO arrow, you just see for a moment the ISIO figure, if you hit EV, ....

Possible?

Wilson - great idea - PLEASE make sure this goes into the main survey in the final section on recommendations for improvements.

Wilson - great idea - PLEASE make sure this goes into the main survey in the final section on recommendations for improvements.

Chris,

I have already filled in your survey. Will it screw things up if I do it again?

Wilson

Chris,

I have already filled in your survey. Will it screw things up if I do it again?

Wilson

Wilson - you can't update you're own survey unfortunately - the system doesn't have this resource. What could do is to submit a new entry, ONLY putting your ideas for improvements in the relevant section (and making a note that this was a second visit). This will have an overall minimal impact on the stats, but will not impact any of the specific sections where percentages are by total of responses, not total respondents.

Hope this helps - good to catch your good ideas.

Wilson - you can't update you're own survey unfortunately - the system doesn't have this resource. What could do is to submit a new entry, ONLY putting your ideas for improvements in the relevant section (and making a note that this was a second visit). This will have an overall minimal impact on the stats, but will not impact any of the specific sections where percentages are by total of responses, not total respondents.

Hope this helps - good to catch your good ideas.

Chris,

Done. You have to use a different computer but as we have 4 Macs and two PC's in the house - not a problem.

Wilson

Just an interesting paragraph I found in a blog of a nice company that develop web based software:

The comments section of [our blog] is a relatively small percentage of overall feedback we receive when we release a new product. It’s important for anyone developing a product to listen to the customer base as a whole, and not just to a small but vocal segment on their blog or in their forums.

And interestingly, many blog (and forum) comments trend negative while actual signup numbers and paying plan ratios trend positive. This has been the case for every product we’ve ever offered.

Most people who are happy with something never speak up on blogs or public forums. They’re either 1. spending their time getting value out of the product, or 2. communicating directly with us via email letting us know how much they like the product.

So while the negative comments get public airtime, the positive ones usually trump the negative ones by 5x or 10x but they’re sent privately. It makes it tough for people on the outside to see the big picture sometime.

Many thanks to all of those who completed this survey. I'm posting the final results and closing. I'll send the text answers + the summary data to Guy to pass in confidence to Leica.

Let's hope that we've made a difference!

I'll be off line for the next week - walking in the Pyrennees - first break for FAR too long. Guess which camera I'm taking ... 5D and all those big white lenses, or M8 and 28 / 50 / 75 ... Best,

Survey _ Leica M8 - battery experience.pdf

Survey _ Leica M8 - issues.pdf

Survey _ Leica M8 - issues_LETTER.pdf

Chris,

I think you have done a very good job on all our behalves - thank you. If you see a British registered silver 911 driving through the Pyrennees next Sunday (1st April) it will probably be me - give me a wave. Hope you enjoy your holiday.

Wilson