Welcome

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Found out about this Forum from a fellow APUG Forum member where I had posted a query on the M2 and M3 (I am considering purchasing the M2). Found a thread that answered my concerns about those two models quite succinctly.

I live in New York City and spend six weeks or so every Summer in Italy where I was born and raised (Pontremoli in Tuscany). It is there that I tend to photograph more extensively.

I currently own an M6 and an MP. I use them quite often to photograph Blues and Jazz musicians during live performances in NYC clubs, my children, etc. I own and use several cameras in various formats up to 8x10... but there is something about the feel of a Leica, isn't there?:)

My photographs have appeared in a few music publications and some music CD covers/booklets and the like. I develop and print in a darkroom.

Thank you for the informed and passionate discussions in the Forum.

Hi All,

just registered today although I've been lurking around for quite some time. I just bought a used M8 and this is my initiation to rangefinder photography. I've been an DSLR user for years & I feel that the principles embodied in rangefinder photography suits me well. While waiting for my M8 to arrive I've been searching the net for lenses. I know this is probably a dumb question but let's just blame it to being a newbie and total inexperience. I saw a leica elmarit R 35mm for sale. can I mount this on my m8? or do I need an adopter? thanks

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

Been lurking for a little while as I researched. I was considering buying a Fuji X-Pro as I loved the X100 but badly missed longer focal lengths, after moving on from a succession of Olympus 4/3 and m4/3 cameras. The option of buying a used M8 for the same price was just to tempting and I feel the M mount glass is a much sounder investment. I live on England's south coast and just photograph the world around me.

Neil

Hallo Allerseits!

Ich bin neu im Forum, schaue aber schon seit laengerem zu. Hier fliegen ja manchmal echt die Fetzen,

kein Wunder, wenn manchmal Dinge verteidigt werden, die nicht zu verteidigen sind.

Ich wuerde liebend gern eine State-Of-The-Art Leica verwenden, aber leider gibt es die noch nicht.

Deshalb verwende ich im Moment hauptsaechlich eine NEX-7 mit Leica-M, R und ZM-Linsen.

Mehr als ein Ersatz, die Ergebnisse ueberzeugen.

Mein Name ist Ronald, ich bin 62 Jr. alt und lebe in SW-London.

Edited by Apo-Ron
Gehoert ins Deutsche Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just a quick not to say hello, I've just bought a second hand Leica Digilux 2 and no doubt I will be on here looking for advice in the coming months. Being of a certain age I learnt to use a "proper" camera using a Zenith E back in the 70's and progressed to a Pentax. They were sold long ago with the move to digital photography for web sites etc. My wife has a point and click which is fine but I decided I wanted something a little more serious.

Looking forward to talking with you all.

Rgds Rich...

Edited by Rich5ltr
(Sp)

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to all! I just stumbled onto this forum this morning and decided to joint. I look forward to making new friends and learning more about photography and using my Leica IIIf camera.

Cheers,

Tom H.

Hi All!

My name is Peter, retired since 2 years in Switzerland. I was working for Leica Geosystems selling aerial cameras (analog & digital) in Eastern Europe.

Since 1.5 years I have an M9 with lenses Leica 28, 50, 90 mm and Biogon 21. I'm happy with this farm. In poor light conditions I'm training my arms a little and taking my older Nikon D700.

I like quality and now learn more about Leica theory of photography.

I'm looking for valuable contacts in artistic photography.

Cheers!

Hi all,

I am a very keen amateur photographer over some 40 years (since teens).

I found myself looking at M8 and M9 pictures online and seeing a quality that was missing from my Canon DSLR results. Despite not having yet paid for a Canon 5D Mk III body purchased in Aug 2011 on 2years payment-free terms, I opted to dip my toe slightly into Leica water, by purchasing a used M8.

I was very lucky in finding an Australian M8 for sale on this forum and I've really enjoyed using that since Dec 2012. I bought a 2nd hand Cosina-Voigtlander 35/1.4 lens and I've now added a Summicron 50 Type 4 and an old CV 90/3.5. I also have a Leica-M conversion of a Contax G 45/2 en route as I type.

I am a very heavy alt lens user with my Canon system, but what I really enjoy is going for a walk with my M8. The Leica RF is a fine adjunct to my Canon DLSR that I also enjoy for its versatility and suitability for motorcycle road-racing and similar applications.

In time I see myself buying an M240 where I can use lenses such as my Macro-Elmarit-R 60/2.8, in addition to fine M lenses naturally.

cheers,

David

Edited by lenticularis
typo corrections

Hi All,

just registered today although I've been lurking around for quite some time. I just bought a used M8 and this is my initiation to rangefinder photography. I've been an DSLR user for years & I feel that the principles embodied in rangefinder photography suits me well. While waiting for my M8 to arrive I've been searching the net for lenses. I know this is probably a dumb question but let's just blame it to being a newbie and total inexperience. I saw a leica elmarit R 35mm for sale. can I mount this on my m8? or do I need an adopter? thanks

John

Sorry John, No you cannot mount Leica R lenses onto a Leica M, at least not with rangefinder coupling. You can mount it with a suitable (cheap to expensive versions available) adapter, but you will only be able to use zone focussing (ie estimating the range to your principle subject). There are other lens adapters available in this way.

One lens I purchased cheaply is a Russian Jupiter 8, in screw thread (Leica Thread Mount - LTM) fitting. LTM to Leica M bayonet adapters are cheap. That Jupiter-8 lens is surprisingly good for a cost of about $120-150 + $20 adapter.

Another lens I bought is the Cosina-Voigtlander 35/1.4, costing about $400-500 2nd hand and say $650 new. Sorry I can't tell UK prices!

See sample pics attached (simply to show I was happy with results on my M8).

Apologies to moderator(s) if I should not post photos on this thread.

8675232832_d96f8eb1af_b.jpg

Jupiter-8 (50 f2 Russian lens - Zeiss design copy) on Leica M8. Probably at f5.6, ISO160

8675241452_e4ccebfc57_b.jpg

CV 35/1.4 on Leica M8, about f2.8, ISO160

Edited by lenticularis
  • Like 1

Hi

I have just bought my first Leica, the D Lux 6. I fell in love with this camera when I saw it in a camera shop window! I have just started digital photography seriously 'cos I love black and white film still :)

I am looking forward to the meets.

Sorry John, No you cannot mount Leica R lenses onto a Leica M, at least not with rangefinder coupling. You can mount it with a suitable (cheap to expensive versions available) adapter, but you will only be able to use zone focussing (ie estimating the range to your principle subject). There are other lens adapters available in this way.

One lens I purchased cheaply is a Russian Jupiter 8, in screw thread (Leica Thread Mount - LTM) fitting. LTM to Leica M bayonet adapters are cheap. That Jupiter-8 lens is surprisingly good for a cost of about $120-150 + $20 adapter.

Another lens I bought is the Cosina-Voigtlander 35/1.4, costing about $400-500 2nd hand and say $650 new. Sorry I can't tell UK prices!

See sample pics attached (simply to show I was happy with results on my M8).

Apologies to moderator(s) if I should not post photos on this thread.

Jupiter-8 (50 f2 Russian lens - Zeiss design copy) on Leica M8. Probably at f5.6, ISO160

CV 35/1.4 on Leica M8, about f2.8, ISO160

Indeed photo's should go into the photoforums.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

I only got serious just over a year ago when I got the iPhone 4S and thought I should try taking pictures with it. I faced the same frustrations like I did in high school when I took a photography class - what to take pictures of?

Then I found street photography on the web and tentatively took a few pictures. I remember feeling excited but very nauseas as well. After each candid street shot, I felt like throwing up

Nerves, I guess

It took a while, but eventually with each shot I felt calmer and more relaxed. When I wanted more detail in my photos, I purchased the D-LUX4. That's when things took off and I really learned a lot!

Late last year, I purchased my favorite camera, the Leica IIIf RD and have been loving photography even more. I enjoyed the IIIf so much, I purchased a second body and a couple of lenses as well

Thank you Leica for allowing me to follow my passion!

Hi all,

After some time following the forum I've decided to introduce myself. From south of Spain, and the proud owner of a M240 and 35 cron Asph since April, lugs repair included, I'm starting my life behind a rangefinder window.

Been mainly a Nikon user, right now my cameras are D3s, Panasonic GF1 and Fuji XPro1, but I'm going to sell the Fuji and some Nikon lenses soon, and my daughter takes care of the GF1.

Best,

Juan

Hello, have been reading through a number of the forum posts for a while, and finally decided to register. Have had an M3 for a while , but haven't been shooting with it for a while. Finally found an M8 within my price range, and have been using it over the last few weeks with the old Leitz and Voigtlander lenses I had for the M3.

Hello everybody, my name is Giovanni and I'm an Italian moved to New York 14 years ago.

I work in the audio visual field and although I was always attracted by photography and the City offers so many,

constant visual stimulation what really inspired me to buy a camera was the exhibit on Leon Levinstein at the MET in 2010.

His unique work introduced me to the street photography world.

I've started with a few Nikon 35mm, Holga's and Lomo (which I still use) but these days I always carry a Canon S95 pocket camera with me

and my shooting camera is the Panasonic FZ200. I was seriously looking at a used X1 but now that Leica announced the Mini M I'm waiting....)).

It's great to be here and thank you all for sharing your knowledge and work!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey All,

I'm new to this forum but have been lurking for awhile. I'm new to Leica and got here by way of micro four thirds and the voightlander 17.5mm. My pro photog friend let me use his M9 for a few days and after that I went out and bought an M-E. Recently picked up an M6 as I also want to get back into film. Photography is just a hobby for me and it's very intimadating joining a forum where so many members are pros.

Thanks,

Mijo

Hey All,

I'm new to this forum but have been lurking for awhile. I'm new to Leica and got here by way of micro four thirds and the voightlander 17.5mm. My pro photog friend let me use his M9 for a few days and after that I went out and bought an M-E. Recently picked up an M6 as I also want to get back into film. Photography is just a hobby for me and it's very intimadating joining a forum where so many members are pros.

Thanks,

Mijo

...I really wouldn't be too worried, Mijo, for there are more more 'professional amateurs' here than anything else - you'll be absolutely fine. Welcome, and please feel free to educate us with your own nuggets of photographic knowledge.