Monochrom: First pics from Melbourne

leicashot

I just found your thread, and as is too frequently the case with photos loaded via Flickr are not available. I strongly urge you to load photos directly on the Forum in the future.

I did load them, but due to requests I re-edited them so they are no longer available. If you allow me to re-edit my first post I can correct this.

Edited by leicashot

I like your images (I lived in Melbourne for a year and always like to see the city).

Do/did you use an M8 or 9? If so, given your style of PP, what does the MM offer that makes it a better camera for you? Have you done any direct comparisons, same scene, same PP technique ? I'd be very interested to see them.

Genuine question. I'm sure the MM offers advantages but I've only seen sample images from it which say nothing about what it does differently, even if they're good photos in themselves.

What the MM has thats better for me over the M9 is the fact that it's high ISO is very close to what I am used to with Nikon and don't feel I have to turn it off and pick up my Nikon in low light. While many Leica users are optimistic in shooting at slow speeds, I prefer not to. Also, I don't need color, and the abilities of the MM are exactly what I want in an M. Haven't done direct comparisons but I can already see that the MM has more dynamic range, more tonal range and much better ISO performance, with ISO 320 better than the M9's ISO 160. I'm also squeezing what I'd call about 20% more detail out of the MM, and that increases as the ISO goes up due to the M9 basically falling apart from ISO 640.

I would say for most people's needs the MM is not for them. It is ONLY for people not needing color and wanting excellent high ISO performance and superior tonal range. For me the tonal range isn't a major advantage because of the way i shoot street, but for my documentary work it will come in handy no doubt.

• Like 1

K -

They are a lovely set, individually and as a series. I edited them in. BTW: As well as always putting them directly on the Forum to avoid availability problems from issues other than what you experienced, when you do place them here ensure that no side is larger than 960 pixels and the file size is no larger than 300 KB. I had to resize all 11 of them.

• Like 1

Kristian,

The re edited have opened the shadows beautifully! Very nice:)

The contrasty look I like and having growing up in Melbourne it emulates the feeling there. The subtly opening up of the shadows has made all the difference!

I awaiting my M-M this week, and for the same reasons, high ISO, better dynamic range are my reasons. I feel once the PP'ing workflow has matured and people better understand how to get the most out of the luminescence DNG files, the IQ will closely approach MF. There may be a program module, or well designed presets thay may yet have to developed.

• Like 1

Guest malland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kristian, I guess you know that I would like these. Hey, at least they're not pictures of a pet cat. Seriously, though, contrary to what someone wrote above, I do think they do show what the M-Monochrome was about. Mine is on order in Paris, but the dealer had not yet received any the last week of July and, if I can't get back to Paris the second week of October (as currently scheduled), it looks like I'll have a long-term deposit of €2,000 with the dealer.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Bangkok Hysteria (book project download link)

Kristian, I guess you know that I would like these. Hey, at least they're not pictures of a pet cat. Seriously, though, contrary to what someone wrote above, I do think they do show what the M-Monochrome was about. Mine is on order in Paris, but the dealer had not yet received any the last week of July and, if I can't get back to Paris the second week of October (as currently scheduled), it looks like I'll have a long-term deposit of €2,000 with the dealer.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Bangkok Hysteria (book project download link)

Great news Mitch. I assume the prices of new Leica is Thailand is crazy cause thats where I choose to sell my Leica gear as I get great used prices there.

Lovely images, Kristian. They definitely show the possibilities available with the Monochrom. Any favorites or surprises with the camera and your choice of lenses?

Hi Kurt, no I haven't noticed anything that stands out in my mind, and really haven't used it for more than a couple of hours and 50 or so frames.

Kristian -

Now I'm going to have to swap one of my M9s for the MM!! Your Flickr set is very good......and so are those shot on the Nikon D800E (of particular interest to me, as I shoot Nikon as well)!!

Well I'm very fortunate because I feel I have the best two camera released in in recent years. The D800E is absolutely amazing and the best value camera you can buy - I highly recommend you check it out. Attached with a nice Zeiss lens, nothing comes close in 35mm, and leaves the M9 for dead image quality wise....yes I said it. Please no flaming