Sign in to follow this  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This might be a stupid question and many have been answered in some form before.

I have an M6 TTL 0.72 and a Summicron 35 f2 ASPH, both in Chrome. First off, I love film and shooting, but other things have over the past few years have taken more of my time. I typically only pull out the M6 during extended vacations/travel, which seems to be once every 2 years. For everyday photos, we pull out the cheap-o digital point and shoot. Film is great, but scanning is a hassle (used to be fun). Also film is getting harder to find locally. I feel like the anyone with a good point and shoot can take decent photos these days and shooting film has really lost it's uniqueness (at least for me). I'd love to get a M9, but I have no budget for it.

I'm a bit out of the loop and just noticed the Fuji X-Pro 1. I was thinking about getting rid of the M6 body and picking up the X-Pro 1.

So, I guess my question is, is it worth it to keep the body, or get rid of both the body and lens and just go with the X-Pro 1. Will the Summicron be that much better than the lens that comes with the X-Pro 1?

I have a number of people interested in the M6 and lens. Should I sell now while I can or hang on to it in case I ever get psyched about film again?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by bluedubbed

This might be a stupid question and many have been answered in some form before.

I have an M6 TTL 0.72 and a Summicron 35 f2 ASPH, both in Chrome. First off, I love film and shooting, but other things have over the past few years have taken more of my time. I typically only pull out the M6 during extended vacations/travel, which seems to be once every 2 years. For everyday photos, we pull out the cheap-o digital point and shoot. Film is great, but scanning is a hassle (used to be fun). Also film is getting harder to find locally. I feel like the anyone with a good point and shoot can take decent photos these days and shooting film has really lost it's uniqueness (at least for me). I'd love to get a M9, but I have no budget for it.

I'm a bit out of the loop and just noticed the Fuji X-Pro 1. I was thinking about getting rid of the M6 body and picking up the X-Pro 1.

So, I guess my question is, is it worth it to keep the body, or get rid of both the body and lens and just go with the X-Pro 1. Will the Summicron be that much better than the lens that comes with the X-Pro 1?

I have a number of people interested in the M6 and lens. Should I sell now while I can or hang on to it in case I ever get psyched about film again?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There would appear to be quite a few issues with the X-Pro 1 and well documented on the 'net. Unusable manual focus, slow AF, sensor dust and what deters me most of all is the lack of software to develop the RAW files. The latter issue surrounds the de-mosiacing problems that all user are wrestling with. The 18mm lens is not highly regarded leaving you with just the 35mm and 60mm. For sure new lenses are in the pipeline but price and IQ have yet to be established.

Conversely you appear to see film shooting as a hassle and seemingly rarely use the medium. For myself I have taken the opposite route and nigh on abandoned digital in favour of film. I enjoy the discipline of film, the look of film and love scanning. I still use digital for the kids and family snaps but it's film every time for anything else. As for it's uniqueness you only have to look at the plethora of software "attempting" to emulate the film look to realise it's uniqueness!

As someone once said, "digital is akin to a man who shaves his legs. Clean crisp and smooth - but somethings not quite right"

Just my 2 cents

although you've sort of answered your own question, i'd advise you to wait a bit. you've had several offers to sell your m6+35cron & not taken any up so i'd say you're still unsure, which usually means that you'd regret selling or trading it up. with any kind of camera there will always be down times when it collects dust & not much happens. it doesn't mean it's worthless. equally, there will always be newly released digital cameras around to tempt you into getting things started so be really sure before you decide where your commitments lie. inspiration generally comes out of doing something..!

Perhaps you should try a well cared M8, and keep your 35 cron. Though it isn't full frame the M8 produces photos with higher IQ than anything from the current Fuji X lineup.

Seems as though you have a strong itch to scratch with digital and ensuing decisions. If you don't like the M8 and want to go back to digital there won't be much lost, I believe.

How about a small jump instead of a large one? You could find a used D-Lux 3 or 4 for not much money and see if you prefer digital to film. They are considerably better than a run of the mill cheap-o digicam, easy to use, have a ton of features and are very easy to keep with you. Check out the D-Lux images in the gallery. From past experience, often there is regret once you sell an M camera thus increasing the chances of buying another.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If You are not quite sure, keep M6 & Summi. Have a try with the Fuji X-10: price worth, high quality & no hassle with lens change - it's my alaways with me camera.

M3, M4, M6ttl & M9 only for sundays & vacation use;)

IIIF only for bank holidays;)

Thomas

Guest MarcRF

i go for m6 ttl&50 summilux asph + X100... perfect combo

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all advice and suggestions. Yeah, I realized after submitting my post that I wasn't ready to give up on film.

I'll look into some other digital options that you guys have suggested.

Great quote about the shaved legs!

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

The NEX cameras look like a reasonable place to start.

A quick google search brought up the Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, both R and M (I have both types of lenses).

The price seems fairly cheap? Anyone have experience with these or can they suggest others?

Thanks a lot.

Guest MarcRF

Just my 2 cents on this...

I need an optival viewfinder. no discussion

since sony only offers EVFs on those or LCD screens I would never take them...

I had a look at the X-Pro1 and got myself an X100 (before I got my M6)... I think the 23mm f2 is much better than both of the X-Pro1 lenses (my opinion...) but who knows what they are adding in future

and: I would only invest in 1 system of interchangable lenses, thus making the M6 my system of choice.

therefore I'd get a point & shoot if I was you... but I dont know how well adapted M lenses work on sony cameras

and a comment on the budget: if fuji releases a X200 or smthng like that the X100 prices will fall.. and with the firmware updates it is an incredible good camera. so getting a cheap X100 will do you (rangefinder look, great IQ, great ISO behaviour)