Serviceability M8 & M8.2 displays

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have an M8.2 which I enjoy a lot...no desire to move on to M9-MM-M etc....it has its quirks particularly related to batteries but other than tht I really enjoy the camera a lot.

I pray that mine does not fail on the LCD as I neither have the funds nor interest to trade for an M9.

At the moment I continue to enjoy it and hope that I can still get many years of service out of it.

I have never owned any electronic product that has failed on me,mobile phone, TV, Radio,GPS,Laptop,Smart phone,Digital camera from other brands etc. etc.

If mine does fail sometime and cannot be repaired I will be pissed to the extent that I would simply not want or be able to buy another Leica digital M, which would be a real shame.

Being an optimist however I am sure I will take my working M8 into my grave:):)

best

I have an M8.2 which I enjoy a lot...no desire to move on to M9-MM-M etc....it has its quirks particularly related to batteries but other than tht I really enjoy the camera a lot.

I pray that mine does not fail on the LCD as I neither have the funds nor interest to trade for an M9.

At the moment I continue to enjoy it and hope that I can still get many years of service out of it.

I have never owned any electronic product that has failed on me,mobile phone, TV, Radio,GPS,Laptop,Smart phone,Digital camera from other brands etc. etc.

If mine does fail sometime and cannot be repaired I will be pissed to the extent that I would simply not want or be able to buy another Leica digital M, which would be a real shame.

Being an optimist however I am sure I will take my working M8 into my grave:):)

best

I hope for your sake this is true! Now though I am too scared to spend a thousand pounds plus to buy something which could potentially be rendered useless if the screen goes, so will probably just buy a fuji instead.

Also Leica should be interested in all sales not just new. Once you own a product there's the potential of buying more and actually becoming a useful customer with a financial value attached.

(...) I am too scared to spend a thousand pounds plus to buy something which could potentially be rendered useless if the screen goes, so will probably just buy a fuji instead.

Yes, that's perfectly sensible and does not require any further explanations. Enjoy your next camera when and if you buy one.

(…) Being an optimist however I am sure I will take my working M8 into my grave:):)

Being another sort of optimist ;) i'm prepared to buy another M8.2 if/when my LCD dies and to send the invoice to Leica.

Edited by lct
  • Like 3

I hope for your sake this is true! Now though I am too scared to spend a thousand pounds plus to buy something which could potentially be rendered useless if the screen goes, so will probably just buy a fuji instead.

The answer in this case would be to sell your M8 (to someone who wants a new M9 and can use your M8 to obtain a discount) and use the proceeds to buy another s/h M8. There may be a cost between the price of you get and the price you pay, but see this as the 'repair' cost.

No, not ideal at all, but it is an option to consider all the same.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Also Leica should be interested in all sales not just new. Once you own a product there's the potential of buying more and actually becoming a useful customer with a financial value attached.

I am rather confident that if you buy a used M8, from a reputable dealer, and happens that in 9-15 months it suffers of an unrepairable issue, you will have a reasonable proposal from Leica (I knew of such a case 3 days ago, from a customer of a M8 aged 2007) : BUT of course it will be a proposal, though interesting, centered on M line, based on ITS cost levels... so the alternative of putting, as of now, the same amount on a Fuji has to be seriously considered within this perspective (even in the case that M8 issue IS repairable, it will have a not negligible cost, anyway)

• 1 month later...

Wow, after reading all the 20 pages, I've found that there are only two reasonable options if your M8's LCD fails:

1. Get the forced upgrade and enjoy the M9,

2. Get the forced upgrade and sell the new M9 and take your money back.

It is sad that Leica becomes less accessible brand than ever (regarding their M camera segment). That could lead to a really boring LFI magazine issues and Barnak awards enties.

Sadly the most of the tallent will change ships and the Leica Forum Book will become a dog owner's facebook, photos of cats and random street snaps.

It would be really sad to end like that for Leica. After all those years.

Greed shall not prevail. We are not customers of Leica, we are photographers!

BTW I like my M8. I'm happy I could afford it before I got 30 and I've worked for it. I've had it for 3 years and if it breaks I'll take option number 2 (see above) and get a different brand (probably I'll end up with a profit from my M lenses - they'll make for the loss). I'll adapt to it as I did with my M8 and I'll keep photographing.

With Leica or not I'm sure I'll be able to shoot great photos. It is a matter of time and a proper RF camera from a different manufacturer will be introduced to the market to test the parameters and build quality of a Leica vs value...then might be the end of an era as we knew it.

Respect.

Edited by INIZ
Typo
  • Like 1

There have been tales of cameras falling off the straps because of failing lugs (which I personally find much more embarrassing). There has been no outcry of this magnitude.

Lets hope that they are not in the "lifetime camera 5000$/€ bracket, not made in Asia, specially crafted for you from ppl with health insurance, decent homes, dogs - hobby photographers, that love to shoot a Leica and put their love in manufacturing my camera for my good karma". :D:D:D

Hi,

Not everyone uses an M8 or 9, there are an awful lot of us happily using our film Leicas, Barnacks, M's and R.

I've said as much as I can on the M8 issue, but you have a 3rd potential option, sell the faulty M8 to someone who wants to use it as a ticket to a discounted M9, and buy another s/h M8. To be fair though, the LCD is probably the least likely part of the camera to fail.

As for any other manufacturer bringing out a serious M rival, forget it. Epson/Cosina flirted with their crop sensor version but that fell by the wayside. Zeiss make a film rangefinder but there's no sign of them trying to digitise it and every other manufacturer is in love with EVIL systems.

I expect that you'll be using a Leica for some time yet.

• Like 1

Hi,

Not everyone uses an M8 or 9, there are an awful lot of us happily using our film Leicas, Barnacks, M's and R.

I've said as much as I can on the M8 issue, but you have a 3rd potential option, sell the faulty M8 to someone who wants to use it as a ticket to a discounted M9, and buy another s/h M8. To be fair though, the LCD is probably the least likely part of the camera to fail.

As for any other manufacturer bringing out a serious M rival, forget it. Epson/Cosina flirted with their crop sensor version but that fell by the wayside. Zeiss make a film rangefinder but there's no sign of them trying to digitise it and every other manufacturer is in love with EVIL systems.

I expect that you'll be using a Leica for some time yet.

I remember a FF RF was not possible in 2008 either :D. For now 'm with my M8, if my LCD breaks, I'm sure I'll find the most suitable solution for my needs be it change ship or stay with Leica. After all it depends on the options available.

As a recent owner of an M8, it obviously saddens me that the LCD is no longer available for repair.

In my opinion, why the LCD screen may need repair is not important, and the number of "brown ring" LCD also not relevant. The important issue is to allow the customer to be able to continue to take pictures.

2 solutions have been discussed thus far:

Mr. Daniel, as a representative of Leica, has brought out one potential solution (the upgrade route), which may not be the solution for everyone.

Fellow member INIZ has proposed another solution (get the upgrade and sell it, hopefully at a reasonable profit to cover the cost of the original m8 camera)

I would like to propose a potential 3rd solution, which is software (firmware based)...

Say Leica develop a firmware 6.6.6 for this...and utilize the LED display on the top of the camera to change options...then most of the issues with a non-functioning LCD would disappear, excluding photo playback related items (of course)

If you press the "set" button during photo taking, you wil see 6 most commonly used options

1. ISO

2. EV

3 WHITE BALANCE

4. COMPRESSION

5. RESOLUTION

6. USER PROFILE

Can't the 6 keys on the back of the camera be remapped to correspond to the options?

For example, if one press the "play" button, this will enable the ISO function, rotating the dial will display ISO on the LED top display. Press the "play" button and the LED goes back to display the number of photos still possible to be taken

Again, if I want to change the EV, press the "delete" button and rotating the dial will allow me to do exposure compensation, etc.

The more detail settings through the "menu" button can be changed through software (computer connected through USB cable)

I do not know how much it will cost to re-write the firmware and the necessary software for this, but I think this will create some good will from customers (me included), to know that I am not forced to pay additional $ for a known production defect.

I understand it is not possible for Leica to spell out exactly how much one can get back for an m8 with a non-functioning LCD, but perhaps offer to buy back rather than upgrade can also be considered as a viable option...

A sympathetic thought, but I think the chance of it being implemented are close to zero. :( (I suppose you mean the little round LCD btw)

Jaap:

Yes, that is correct (with regards to the little round display thing on the top of the camera)

Yes, I think you are correct. I don't think Leica would like people walking around with amputated camera. But perhaps they can be a little more open minded to the buy-back option? I would hate to think that someone who can't afford to upgrade has to pony up the money before he/she can get it back

From what I have read, Leica has offered a VERY good price to those affected by the brown ring LCD issue and I have read no complains from those who actually took the deal...they were just unable to talk about it due to the non-disclosure. And it is very difficult for Leica to come out and say "we will definitely offer you $x for it simply because it is a used product and conditions differ"...

If only I can find it in this forum I think they actually came up with the actual dollar amount.

Personally, I would just keep shooting and not worry about it. I bought my m8 about 6 months ago knowing fully this camera has many known issues (though not this one in particular) and still willing to take the chance on it.

• Like 1

Just watched a refurbished M9 with 8300 clicks and a 1 year Leica warranty go for $3995 USD... That's pretty affordable...

Leica M9 18 0 MP Digital Camera Black 3976241 799429107048 | eBay

that's actually the price of M9s now....around $4k. have seen MANY sell for that much in the past month. I'm actually amazed that the M8 has held such great 2nd hand value....still in the $1700 to $2200 range from what i see.

i'll be in the market for an M-E when prices fall (they will....seeing as they are so unpopular at the moment)

(…) If only I can find it in this forum I think they actually came up with the actual dollar amount (…)

Yes according to Jip here, you would have to pay for the forced upgrade solution:

Within 2 years (warranty period): free of charge

Within 3 years: 1500 EUR (M9) or 1920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 4 years: 2000 EUR (M9) or 2420 EUR (M9-P)

Within 5 years: 2500 EUR (M9) or 2920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 6 years: 3000 EUR (M9) or 3420 EUR (M9-P)

Yes according to Jip here, you would have to pay for the forced upgrade solution:

Within 2 years (warranty period): free of charge

Within 3 years: 1500 EUR (M9) or 1920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 4 years: 2000 EUR (M9) or 2420 EUR (M9-P)

Within 5 years: 2500 EUR (M9) or 2920 EUR (M9-P)

Within 6 years: 3000 EUR (M9) or 3420 EUR (M9-P)

interesting. has anyone published the USD amounts that Leica are offering over here?

judging by those prices, someone from Europe could KEEP a coffee stain LCD M8 and get an M9 used from the US market for the same price as giving the M8 to Leica and getting an M9 from them.