New to Leica M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All

May I introduce myself as a new forum member and indeed new to the Leica M system having just acquired a M6 TTL 0.58 and 50mm Summicron (latest version). The 0.58 VF was chosen as I wear glasses and primarily shoot focal lengths of 35mm and 50mm.

I currently use a Konica Hexar RF with 35mm, 50mm and 90mm Hexanons so am familiar with rangefinder shooting. The Leica was purchased quite simply because I've always wanted one and the opportunity arose.

The Leica kit has yet to arrive and in between I am curious as to what differences, if any, I can expect or will experience in general usage of the Leica particularly bearing in mind that the Hexar is nigh on automatic.

Hope this makes sense and would appreciate any input.

Thank You

Welcome to the forum Reeray. I am not familiar with the Hexar you have been using, but that matters not. You are moving from 'Auto' to 'Manual' and will feel a little strange for awhile. But very quickly you will appreciate the 'thinking' this provokes in you and ultimately you will feel in command, because you will be!

Leica 'disease' has no cure known to man, so be prepared to extend your commitment and pleasure! Post back when your gear arrives and post pictures if you have the facility to do it.

Guest MarcRF

Hello Reeray,

with myself being new here too I'd like to say welcome too... but the reason I actually write is because I nearly got the same kit that you got :)

I bought a M6 ttl chrome(also .58 magnification because I like to shoot 35 and 50 too... and I wear glasses too) and also a 50mm (although the summilux asph) on Saturday and I can tell you... it is definitely fascinating to shoot with a Leica and I wish you all the best with your new Leica

sometimes it's just strange how similar situations can get although we're in whole different parts

I hope your package arrives soon. it's gonna be birthday, christmas of 4 years combined together when you unpack it:D