Leica M4-P film rewind problems

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I have a very nice 'user' M4-P (one of the late models with the M6 top-plate) that seems to be having a problem.

Having just finished up a roll of Ektar 100 the release switch (on the front of the cam) will not engage properly - as a result the film will not wind back into the canister (even if i hold the switch in the R position).

Having read around a little I have sacrificed this roll and removed it - on closer examination it seems that when the release switch is engaged (in the R position - where it s sometimes does sometimes does not stay) the film spool/sproket will still not rotate backwards as it does on my M6 - in fact even touching the spool can reset the film release switch on the front of the camera to its standard upright position.

Does anyone know if this is a common problem? am I doing something really stupid here? is there an easy fix of any kind?

Any advice is, as ever, hugely appreciated

Many Thanks

D

I have an M4-P and have not had this problem - in fact, this is the first time I have heard of this issue. It sounds as if a part (or parts) related to the rewind disengage is either loose or worn and in need of replacement.

I would recommend giving Sherry Krauter ( Sherry Krauter.com -- Home of the Golden Touch.) a call or an email. She will most likely recognize the problem right away, given her 30 years of experience as a Leica repair technician.

Edited by Messsucherkamera

I have an M4-P and have not had this problem - in fact, this is the first time I have heard of this issue. It sounds as if a part (or parts) related to the rewind disengage is either loose or worn and in need of replacement.

I would recommend giving Sherry Krauter ( Sherry Krauter.com -- Home of the Golden Touch.) a call or an email. She will most likely recognize the problem right away, given her 30 years of experience as a Leica repair technician.

+1