Other lens hood for the Leica Summicron M 35

Migs

Just don't use the flimsy rubber cap then.

There is not better solution for your issue, than the Leica issued standard plastic hood.

The more "sexy looking" round metal hood is absolutely inferior in handling and mechanical and flare protection of the front element.

I never use the flimsy cap except, when having the camera packed in a bag for travel.

The moment, I go shooting or have the camera over a shoulder or in my hand, the cap is in a safe place in my bag - never lost one.

… get the 2-300$ metal vented hood 12 504 (in photo) or the 150-200$ model 12 585H so it looks like a real Vietnam war camera.

If that is an important factor to you though, go ahead and add a fancy "Vietnam war camera hood" (that's a term, I will refer to these hoods from now on - thanks T.Overgaard ;-)

Edited by menos | M6

Yes the famous VWC hood (not to mistake for the Volkswagen Club). :D

The 12504, or its Chinese copy perhaps?, remains mandatory to use a filter on the Summilux 35 pre-asph though.

BTW i've been told that 12585 and 12585H hoods might vignette on some Summicron 35 lenses, reason why the "1:2/35" marking of the 12585H would have been removed from the 12585. I did not check this by myself though.

I thank you all for the responses, especially the links to see the other lens hood options. It just makes me wonder how a vented hood:

a) prevents the sun (entering through the vents...) I'm guessing if the sun is directly overhead some light could hit the bottom of the lens front.

B) gets capped when not in use so dust doesn't accumulate on the lens front

You all are most kind.

Migs

Provided the hood does reverse though, which is not the case of the 12504 on both Summilux 35/1.4 pre-asph and Summicron 35/2 asph actually. Same for the 12585 hood if memory serves. Both focus tabs must be too close i guess but i have no 12585 with me here so i might be wrong eventually.

I thank you all for the responses, especially the links to see the other lens hood options. It just makes me wonder how a vented hood:

a) prevents the sun (entering through the vents...) I'm guessing if the sun is directly overhead some light could hit the bottom of the lens front.

B) gets capped when not in use so dust doesn't accumulate on the lens front

You all are most kind.

Migs

Migs, there is no real solution, readily available other than the originally supplied plastic hood with soft cap.

The vented hoods are less efficient in shading light from the front element and cannot be capped on the 35mm Summicron, except you use a fiddly lens sock, to pull over the lens with hood.

Your best solution is indeed using the standard hood (which is Leica's latest answer on your issue so far.