Leica M3 with Summilux 50 1.4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello!

I have the opportunity to buy a M3 with Summilux 50 1.4 (sn 194xxxx).

It has a small dent on the right side near the windlever, but apparently it doesn´t affect the function. It was serviced when that accident happened 40 years ago. After that, no service. Overall it looks nice and just a small, small piece of vulcanit is missing in the corner. It´s in used condition but works well.

It also comes with an older Gosen Six light meter.

He wants 900 USD for it.

What do you think? Should i go for it?

How much is that kind of lens worth if it isn´t in good condition? I dont´n know if he knows what condition it is in. He sent me pictures but it´s hard to see the condition that way. I can´t go see it so it´s kind of a gamble.

Hello Fladdersork,

Welcome to the Forum.

For $900 for camera, lens & meter: If both the lens & the camera are mechanically sound & cosmetically nice & if each needs a CLA: The price is still fair. If 1 or both work well w/o a CLA (quite possible) then it is better than fair.

If you are buying these to use (many people do) then a small dent or missing bit of vulcanite does not matter.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I would factor a CLA into the price you're prepared to pay.

I paid 500 Euro for a 1962 M3 and sent it to Solms for service and re-covering. It was reasonably expensive, but worth it. New covering, new shutter, clean and align the RF, new DIN flash connections. Came back like new.

Hello!

I have the opportunity to buy a M3 with Summilux 50 1.4 (sn 194xxxx).

It has a small dent on the right side near the windlever, but apparently it doesn´t affect the function. It was serviced when that accident happened 40 years ago. After that, no service. Overall it looks nice and just a small, small piece of vulcanit is missing in the corner. It´s in used condition but works well.

It also comes with an older Gosen Six light meter.

He wants 900 USD for it.

What do you think? Should i go for it?

How much is that kind of lens worth if it isn´t in good condition? I dont´n know if he knows what condition it is in. He sent me pictures but it´s hard to see the condition that way. I can´t go see it so it´s kind of a gamble.

Imho that is a very good deal for an M3 with the v.2 Summilux, though it will depend on the condition.

Since you haven't had the possibility to check the goods beforehand, ask if you can return it if you're not happy. An honest seller should agree to that, methinks (even if he has no obligation to agree, naturally). When you get the lens shine a flashlight through it and check for haze, fogging etc. And check the speeds. Btw Cameraquest has a good checklist (note however that his statement about the seam of the shutter seems to be wrong, at least according to the information I have received from Tamarkin's service people; someone else might be able to confirm/correct).

As for prices, check the well-known dealers, including the forum sponsors, for instance Red Dot, Leicashop, Meister, Newoldcamera, Ffordes, Keh and many others. It seems to me that depending on the condition here in Europe the v2 Summilux is sold for approx 700-1000€.