Ring to replace new style Lens Hoods

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 16/18/21 Tri-Elmar introduced a new lens hood design for Leica where the lens hood screws ONTO the front of the lens instead of INTO it. Since then, most new lenses wider than 50mm use this new hood design. Using the lens without the lens hood exposes the thread on the front of the lens.

The 35mm Summilux ASPH second generation includes a ring which can be screwed onto the front of the lens as an alternative to the lens hood.

Does anyone know if there are any other recently introduced lenses with such a ring?

Thank you for asking this question. I had the same issue when I bought my 24 mm Elmar second hand. Evidently there did not appear to be a ring that would cover the exposed thread when the hood was removed. This ring is already in place on the Summarit M lenses because you have to buy the hood as an extra.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought it went over the front of the lens as well stopping any filter screwing in but looking neater... Either way, I would expect this ring with any of the externally threaded lenses.

No, the filter thread is still fully accessible with the ring in place. I agree that I would expect a similar ring to be supplied with all Leica lenses that use the externally threaded hoods (a design which I much prefer to the various clip-on varieties).

The Elmar 24 is also delivered with this blank included. Sometimes found lurking in the bottom of the supplied case where you don't notice it.

I looked and my 24 Elmar did NOT have the blank ring included. The bottom of my 24 pouch has the cut out for the lens hood and therefore no space left for anything else unlike my 35 FLE pouch which does have an extra pocket in the bottom of the pouch for the blank and a lens cap for the blank. Curious.

I looked and my 24 Elmar did NOT have the blank ring included. The bottom of my 24 pouch has the cut out for the lens hood and therefore no space left for anything else unlike my 35 FLE pouch which does have an extra pocket in the bottom of the pouch for the blank and a lens cap for the blank. Curious.

Same here, there was no blank ring in the box with my 24 Elmar which I bought in mint condition second hand. Either the previous owner misplaced it or it was not included.

I just checked and I was mistaken. My Elmar 24 came new with external hood and slide on soft cap that fits the hood. No thread protector.

My (new model) Summilux 35 ASPH has a standard snap in lens cap and the thread protector ring under a padding insert in the supplied case as well as the external hood and its slide on soft cap. That lens of course is much more expensive (here nearly twice the price of the Elmar actually)

I never use either lens without the supplied hoods . Perhaps a thread protector could be bought as an accessory if wanted?

Meant to be sarcastic I guess???

For some of the less expensive lenses, some of the accessories may not be included. For example, the Summarit range do not have the lens hood included, presumably to lower the list price. The hood is an expensive accessory and more useful than that thread blank surely.

Personally I find the Elmar hood unobtrusive and effective for mechanical protection as well and I prefer to just leave it on anyway.

That explains it then.
Edited by hoppyman

For some of the less expensive lenses, some of the accessories may not be included. For example, the Summarit range do not have the lens hood included, presumably to lower the list price. The hood is an expensive accessory and more useful than that thread blank surely.

Personally I find the Elmar hood unobtrusive and effective for mechanical protection as well and I prefer to just leave it on anyway.

Although the Elmar is not as expensive as the Summilux lens, I feel that the capping ring still should have been included particularly when the Elmar's recommended retail price in the UK is about £1800. If the capping ring exists, then I feel that it is an unsatisfactory situation to further fork out money to buy it is an accessory. Although the Elmar hood is useful, I foresee a future time when I will need to remove it, if I end up using graduated filters with a holder, such as the Lee RF75 system. The capping ring to cover the exposed outer threads I envisage would be very useful here.

• Like 1

Meant to be sarcastic I guess???

For some of the less expensive lenses, some of the accessories may not be included. For example, the Summarit range do not have the lens hood included, presumably to lower the list price.

Yes, but the Elmar is not a Summarit. The latter, being lenses built down to a price using common components, are marketed separately from the main range. They are also packaged without the leather case and (in the UK) do not benefit from a passport warranty. The Elmar is part of the main range of Leica lenses which, in my experience, are not built down to a price and have always come with the necessary caps, etc. to use the lens without the hood. I imagine the non-inclusion of the thread protecting ring with the 24mm Elmar is either an oversight or a deliberate decision to discourage use of the lens without the hood.

If the capping ring exists, then I feel that it is an unsatisfactory situation to further fork out money to buy it is an accessory.

I don't think it does exist – certainly not as an official accessory (unlike the hoods for the Summarit). If it existed as a standard accessory, Leica would include it in the box.

Just out of interest, does anyone know whether the new 21/F3.4 comes with a thread protector in the box?

I imagine the non-inclusion of the thread protecting ring with the 24mm Elmar is either an oversight or a deliberate decision to discourage use of the lens without the hood.

Good points and also I believe you are correct in assuming that the thread protecting ring does not exist as it would have been included in the box.

No matter what Leica's motives are, I feel that they should have included a thread protecting ring and should address this immediately with the 24 mm Elmar lens and the 21 mm Super Elmar lens (if it happens to be not included). I feel that they should also supply at some point existing users of these lenses with a thread protecting ring.

I feel further justified in making the above points, because these Elmar lenses are superb wide angles for landscape photography. They are prime candidates for use with graduated filters and filter holders for those wonderful depth of field shots particularly at sunrise and sunset when lighting conditions are challenging.