M lens codes

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We're just noting that our own internal link to the Leica Lens codes (the whole point of this pinned thread) is broken.

Certainly there are other places on the web that list them - but if our own page is broken, it should be:

1) fixed, or

2) deleted

it is called - managing a web site. ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

As noted in other posts, by me included; it seems an obvious feature to add to the M10 via firmware update, so that those of us with older uncoded lenses could create our own lens list from the default listed lenses. If we mounted an uncoded lens on the camera, we wouldn't need to choose from many, but only from those we owned.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, WvE said:

Got my first non-leica lens (Voigtlander 50mm 1.5 asph ii) and wonder if should just turn lens detection off or not. The M10 manual is ' obviously' unlcear about this. Thanks for the help.

If memory serves the last six bit coded, or lens picked in the menu, will be the default. I would turn it off.

• Like 2

Leave lens detection ON, and simply code your Nokton by hand, with a fine-tip permanent black marker.

Cosina can't legally machine 6-bit pits into their lens mounts, but they do go to the effort of machining a trough all the way around the back of the mount.

Into which one can add black ink or paint spots, at the correct "clock position," that are protected from rubbing off with use. I have done this numerous times, and the coding lasts for  - well, infinite time, thus far (years+). Using coded 75 and 35 Noktons right now (the picture below was made of the 35 with the 75)

Helps to have a coded Leica lens for reference as to the clock-position of the 6 coding points, or one of the various templates. And of course, an eye for visual relationships (which one really hopes any photographer already has ;) ).

Takes about 15 minutes even with a little trial and error - have the camera available to check the results.

This site recommends using the code for the 50 Summilux-M ASPH: https://lavidaleica.com/content/leica-lens-codes

Which is an extremely simply one-dot code, at the left end of the line, so only needs accurate positioning on one side. ooooo.

Trivial.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

3 hours ago, jdlaing said:

If memory serves, the last six bit coded, or lens [already] picked in the menu will be the default.

If the M10 detects a non-coded lens, it defaults to, and only to, what is already selected in the menu. Very handy since it allows one "freebie" uncoded lens that is always corrected ID'd, even when swapping back and forth quickly with coded lenses.

E.G. I have 5 coded lenses (three by Leica, two C/Vs by hand), and one uncoded 135 Tele-Elmar-M (no coding pattern even exists). I leave the camera set to auto-detect, and the menu set "permanently" to "135 Tele-Elmar-M f/4."

When I mount a coded lens, the camera automatically reads its code. If I mount my uncoded 135, the camera automatically detects "no code" and automatically reverts to the "135 Tele-Elmar-M" menu setting. As seamless as if the 135 was actually coded. Swap lenses back and forth, back and forth - never visit the lens menu at all any more.

I believe this extended feature was only introduced with the M10. Previous cameras may not operate as seamlessly.

AND - BTW - for WvE. If your 50 Nokton is your only uncoded lens, this will work for you also. Simply select "50mm Summilux-M ASPH (or "50mm Summilux-M v.II" - the last non-ASPH version) from the menu, and leave it there - your uncoded 50mm Nokton will always be correctly identified as a 50mm f/1.4 (close enough), and your coded lenses will be correctly identified by their coding pattern. Without any further user-intervention required.

Edited by adan
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 22.5.2021 um 12:28 schrieb WvE:

Got my first non-leica lens (Voigtlander 50mm 1.5 asph ii) and wonder if should just turn lens detection off or not. The M10 manual is ' obviously' unlcear about this. Thanks for the help.

For the Nokton 1.5 50mm asph. II it looks like this:

Indeed very easy to code

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2021 at 9:11 AM, cp995 said:

For the Nokton 1.5 50mm asph. II it looks like this:

Indeed very easy to code

What kind of marker did you use? I've tried a Sharpie permanent marker but my M10 doesn't pick that up. The color doesn't look quite black, more purplish. I did have much easier time coding lenses when I had an M9. Tried with a tiny piece of gaffer's tape and that worked but I would prefer to use a marker.

-Thomas

On 10/24/2021 at 8:19 PM, trisberg said:

What kind of marker did you use? I've tried a Sharpie permanent marker but my M10 doesn't pick that up. The color doesn't look quite black, more purplish. I did have much easier time coding lenses when I had an M9. Tried with a tiny piece of gaffer's tape and that worked but I would prefer to use a marker.

-Thomas

So I tried a different brand, Milwaukee Inkzall, and that seems to work a lot better.

-Thomas

Am 25.10.2021 um 02:19 schrieb trisberg:

What kind of marker did you use? I've tried a Sharpie permanent marker but my M10 doesn't pick that up. The color doesn't look quite black, more purplish. I did have much easier time coding lenses when I had an M9. Tried with a tiny piece of gaffer's tape and that worked but I would prefer to use a marker...

I use a black paint pen/paint stick 0,8mm

For example an Edding 780

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2020 at 2:37 PM, adan said:

With the caveat that for wide-angles, the exact optical design may make a big difference when it comes to lens coding and removing color edge artifacts, and thus Leica's coding won't necessarily work for others' 21/24/28mm f/1.4s, to reduce green- or red-edge problems (!!!!). I.E. not all 21 f/1.4s are created equal:

The La Vida Leica list is from 2013 and has the 21/24 Summilux and 50 f/0.95: https://lavidaleica.com/content/leica-lens-codes

Popflash Photo has pictures of the coding on:

35 Summilux ASPH FLE is the same as non-FLE (011101)

28 Summilux (110110)

50mm APO-Summicron (weirdly - this does not match the LaVidaLeica list (??) 101001 )

75 Noctilux (111010)

28 Summaron f/5.6 (001011)

90 Thambar (maybe? bad angle of view - 001100)

Other images show:

35 Summarit f/2.4 (010001)

50 Summarit f/2.4 (010010)

75 Summarit f/2.4 (010011)

90 Summarit f/2.4 (010100)

NB: these are the codes as seen held at the 12 o'clock position, reading L to R....

While this is an old post, I want to confirm the 50 APO coding on the LaVidaLeica page is definitely wrong. I tried it ... I took the one found on a Popflash photo and it worked.

3 hours ago, Photon42 said:

While this is an old post, I want to confirm the 50 APO coding on the LaVidaLeica page is definitely wrong. I tried it ... I took the one found on a Popflash photo and it worked.

Indeed Lavidaleica's article says 110101 which is the code of the 135/3.4 apo, while that of the 50/2 apo is 101001. Did you find that code useful for other lenses? Just curious.

• Like 1

111011 according to e**y.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...