M lens codes

andybarton

• 4 months later...

I've successfully coded all my old Leica glass - but for one. No matter how much I try to get my M9/ M 240 to recognise my Summicron-M 50mm f/2 (IV) the camera always reads "uncoded". I contacted Match Technical (because I have their Coder Kit) and the response was to try any other 50mm code, because no alterations are made to 50mm anyway. Still no luck. Can anyway shed any light on why this is happening?

If there is a screw-head on your 50mm lens mount right where the coding goes (there normally is), it can reflect light differently than the smooth mount itself, and "read' as a black spot, thereby confusing the camera's coding sensor. Especially if it has any grime trapped in the depression.

That screw head usually falls in the same position as the single black dot for a 90mm Tele-Elmarit* - i.e. 000100. So if you add the code for a 50 v.4/5 on top of that - 100001, then the sensor sees 100(1)01. Which is a 90mm Elmarit last version.

But since you are also bringing up 50mm framelines with your lens, instead of the 90mm frame, that results in a contradiction, and the camera gives up and reports "no such lens - no lens recognized."

Sometimes, filling in the screw head "sinkhole" with white paint can "blank" it out and make it read as a 0, allowing correct coding.

* which is nice if you have an uncoded 90TE with a dirty screw - the camera may recognize it "accidentally" just because of the dirt. ;)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

ZEISS'S RECOMMENDED CODING FOR THEIR WIDE-ANGLE LENSES

I just posted this chart in the 21mm thread so thought it might be a good idea to put it here for more reasonable searching. One way or another, I got the chart from Zeiss (I don't remember the exact circumstances) for use with my M-9.  It seems to be buried in another thread on the forum - this thread is where it should be, or so I think. Regards, Ron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ronazle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ahh - OK! Never noticed that symbol before and I can't "hover" on an iPad so didn't ever see a "Link" pop-up. I thought as the "link" would be to the title of the thread there was a 'secret' way of selecting the thread title from the title itself i.e. in the grey section at the top.......

Am 5.11.2018 um 03:06 schrieb adan:

If there is a screw-head on your 50mm lens mount right where the coding goes (there normally is), ...

Adan, if I am not mistaken the Summicron 50 IV is a still current lens (the one with the sliding lens hood). So if there is a screw at one of the coding positions, how does Leica manage to factory code this lens? By using a mount with one screw less than usual?

Cheers, Andy

Does anyone know what the lens codes would be for older LTM Nikkors and Canons?

I'm looking to code a:

- Nikkor-SC 5cm f1.4

- Nikkor-PC 8.5cm f2

- Nikkor-QC 13.5cm f3.5

- Canon 35mm f1.8

- Canon 28mm f2.8

Anyone know of a source for finding 6-bit coding for these?

Thanks,

-Tim

There is no six-bit coding for non-Leica lenses. If you want to code them, you'll have to use trial and error. However, since the M9, coding is mainly useful to get the focal length into EXIF. I wouldn't bother with these lenses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, wizard said:

Adan, if I am not mistaken the Summicron 50 IV is a still current lens (the one with the sliding lens hood). So if there is a screw at one of the coding positions, how does Leica manage to factory code this lens? By using a mount with one screw less than usual?

Cheers, Andy

Yes - to convert older lenses. E.G. my 1982 21mm pre-ASPH converted to 6-bit now uses five of the the original six screws. Although that would also apply to an (early) 2006 75 or 50 Summicron as well.

Lenses made since 6-bit codes were introduced have a different pattern of six screws, to allow the gap for the 6-bit code. E.G. my ~2010 35mm Summarit. Presumably a 50 Summicron made since 2007 has six screws in the new pattern.

Edited by adan
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have successfully 6-bit coded the Zeiss Biogon 21/2.8 to 11134. First with a sharpie for trial and error and when the position was right and the display was showing 21/2.8 I finished with acrylic paint. The code for 11134 Elmarit-M is just one bar far right. White codes do not matter.
PS. Love the 11134 more than the "Zeiss recommended" 11809.
PPS. The coding fixes the vignetting and slight purple fringe of the lens if used without it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Al Brown