M lens codes

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

52 minutes ago, lct said:

You don't need a magnifier for the 50/1.5, which is less demanding than the 135/4 in RF mode, but it may help if your visual acuity is not perfect. 

I was thinking that, apart from using the Zeiss 25mm, for which I should snap in the EVF anyway, then the magnifier I could keep permanently on my rangefinder, getting the full rangefinder area for the 50mm and a magnified view for the 135mm - probably something between the 75 and 90 framelines in "normal" (un-magnified) view. But they say one loses some light when using these magnifiers, so it is not a win-win situation.

14 minutes ago, catacore said:

I was thinking that, apart from using the Zeiss 25mm, for which I should snap in the EVF anyway, then the magnifier I could keep permanently on my rangefinder, getting the full rangefinder area for the 50mm and a magnified view for the 135mm - probably something between the 75 and 90 framelines in "normal" (un-magnified) view. [...]

Indeed a magnifier won't change the field of view of your lenses but you'll have the feeling to use a 0.73*1.25 = 0.91x camera i.e. a digital M3 sort of. Perfect for 50mm and above but less so for 35mm and wider lenses for which you would need to remove the magnifier or to use an optical or electronic accessory viewfinder.

• Like 1

The longer lenses don't really need coding, 75mm or longer, unless you just want exif data. I have both a thick paper and a metal template. They both work fine and I use flat black paint pen only. The white spots are not needed.

• Like 1

Uncoded longer lenses are not subject to the color problems of <50mm lenses.

But the cameras will use 6-bit coding to remove regular luminance vignetting, even with lenses as long as 135mm.

I noticed this even with the M9 on introduction day (9/9/09). A 135 used with the lens ID'd showed less wide-open vignetting than without, shooting nothing but a patch of blue sky.

Certainly not a big deal for many (including me), but a real effect.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will attempt to code my lenses tonight. Can someone confirm the following codes are the best for the following lenses:

Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron type II -> Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH (model 11604 - code 011010)

Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO Lanthar -> APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 (VI) (model 11141 - code 101001)

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Qlan said:

I will attempt to code my lenses tonight. Can someone confirm the following codes are the best for the following lenses:

Voigtlander 28mm f/2 Ultron type II -> Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH (model 11604 - code 011010)

Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO Lanthar -> APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 (VI) (model 11141 - code 101001)

Thanks!

Or should I use 11672 for the 28mm (summicron ASPH v2). I guess IQ wise, the Ultron is much closer to the Summicron v2. The website is a bit outdated.

Edit: it turns out the 11604 and 11672 have the same 6-bit code: 011010. Problem solved!

Edited by Qlan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Syrjames said:

How would you recommend me (manually) setting my new Voigtlander 35mm Nokton f1.5 lens....? Closest is the 35mm summilux but there appear to be 3 options to choose on my M11 [...]

The Leica 6-bit code i chose for hand-coding my Nokton 35/1.4 SC v2 is 001100 corresponding to Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 (lens profile # 11869/11870/11860). Works fine for me but i don't take distortion into consideration so you may wish to compare with other lens profiles if you do.

• Like 1

Yes, it is the modern one, beauuuutiful pice btw...

I also thought the same... And, at the end, the most important thing is to have some 'exif' data so I can later on tell which lens is lens (which I like doing everytime i suffer from GAS haha).

I will write Voigtlander and see if they can share with me their preference.

Best,

Jaime

On 6/20/2023 at 5:59 PM, lct said:

The Leica 6-bit code i chose for hand-coding my Nokton 35/1.4 SC v2 is 001100 corresponding to Summilux-M 1:1.4/35 (lens profile # 11869/11870/11860). Works fine for me but i don't take distortion into consideration so you may wish to compare with other lens profiles if you do.

That's interesting... I wanted to code my CV Nokton 35/1.4 MC Classic v2 but couldn't find the code. Should be the same I believe, so 001100 it is?

1 hour ago, iordanis said:

That's interesting... I wanted to code my CV Nokton 35/1.4 MC Classic v2 but couldn't find the code. Should be the same I believe, so 001100 it is?

Does little harm to try but i don't have enough experience with the MC version to advise you to hand-code the lens this way or otherwise. I would keep the lens uncoded and select a lens profile through the lens detection menu to begin with.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question, what does the coding (or manually selecting a lens from the list) actually change to the DNG on a M246 monochrom  body?

I did some tests this morning using several 35 and 50 mm profiles (with Voigtländer lenses of that focal length) and I can see some differences in vignette correction between the different profiles, (with the worst vignette when the correction is disabled) but it doesn't seem to do any (barrel or pincushion) distortion correction when importing the DNG's into Lightroom.

On 7/7/2023 at 7:26 AM, pegelli said:

Question, what does the coding (or manually selecting a lens from the list) actually change to the DNG on a M246 monochrom  body?

I did some tests this morning using several 35 and 50 mm profiles (with Voigtländer lenses of that focal length) and I can see some differences in vignette correction between the different profiles, (with the worst vignette when the correction is disabled) but it doesn't seem to do any (barrel or pincushion) distortion correction when importing the DNG's into Lightroom.

That's right - the in-camera corrections by 6-bit are for vignette and color drift at edges, and not distortion.  Reid Reviews has stressed this in the past with favor, as distortion correction often has degrading effects on IQ.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...