Leica 50mm f1.4 should I get Black or Silver

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guys,

Am I correct in saying there is no difference in the Black or Silver Leica 50mm f1.4, only colour "Right"???...................I fancy the silver to match my Chrome M9-P

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Chrome is 130 grams heavier (465g as opposed to 335g for the black).
I cant relate to 130 grams.........is that a bunch or not really

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Well, it is a 39% increase in weight and (in old money) 4.6oz heavier.

Thanks for the info Keith, but I still cant relate to 4 1/2 oz.....I am used to 3 kilo Nikon lenses:):):) . so I guess my question is if you stick a Black lens on a M-9 and then stick the silver lens on the same M-9 is there a WOW factor, in other words does it make a huge difference??

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

So can anyone that has the Silver 50mm f1.4 comment..............when you mount the lens does it make your neck sore, does it make the camera hang vertical, or is just like hanging half a packet of butter onto a normal 50mm f1.4 Black lens:)

I cant relate to 130 grams ... is that a bunch or not really.

It's quite a bunch indeed.

If you only carry one or two lenses then it doesn't matter much whether they're black anodized (heavy) or silver-chrome (very heavy). But when you're carrying a bag with three or more lenses then you definitely don't want the silver-chrome ones.

I traded my silver 50 summiCRON for a black version with focus tabs , and the difference was quite dramatic. It made the camera balance much better in my hand. It shifted the weight point towards the middle of the camera. It is almost like it now feels like a camera with no lens on it where it before felt like a lens with a camera attached.

The silver version, while being a beautiful work of art, just made the camera feel much heftier. The silver version feels and looks like a gem, where the black version looks and feels like, a lens.

After the switch I was so happy I traded both my 35 cron and 24 elmarit for black versions also.The black version has little of the magic feeling that the silver has. Of course the pictures are identical, or better since I carry my camera more with the lighter lenses.

I understand there is even more of a weight difference between the silver luxes.

In the end, usability outweighed (!) look and feel for me. I use my M9 a lot and when I carry all three lenses for a whole day the difference really is noticeable, especially with such a compact system as the M.

I will never buy a silver leica lens again, but i certainly love to look at them!

• Like 2

or more:

they both feel like a small cannonball, but where the black one feels like an solid piece of aluminum, the silver feels like a solid piece of iron (or brass).

It is a noticeable difference.

Wether you can live with this difference or the absolutely gorgeous look makes it worth it is ultimately up to you.

Keep in mind, only a few lenses come in chrome, so if you buy a chrome camera and want more than one lens, chances are you will have to live with a black lens no matter what.

Im a little disappointed with the black paint finish in that it marks very very easily. My brand new lenses are already marked. Some don't mind but personally I do. As silver chrome is a plating I have a feeling it will be a lot more durable. I'm sure someone here can verfiy that though.

I think future lens purchases are going to be silver, for me, where possible.

I did have a 25 Summicron ASPH and that was heavier in the hand than a black 35. But you have to put it in context you are looking at a 685g body and either a 380g vs 275g and Noctilux's are 700g. Even a small compact black 90mm Elmarit-M is 410g

It is lighter but it wouldn't stop me buying a silverchrome

If you google Nikon and choose a 50/1.4 with a D4 you hit 1,600g, way over 2kg with any zoom.....

By the way watched someone hold over 250,000g above their head last night that's over 650 silver lenses ;)

Fwiw (and I also come from an SLR background) I use my black asph (335g) much more than my chrome pre-asph (380g). The chrome asph is heavier of course (460g). Having bought the pre-asph first, I deliberately chose the anodized aluminium version of the asph to reduce weight.

To me, the M balances better with the lighter asph. That said, as some have noted above, some prefer the greater heft of the chrome.

Ultimately it may come down to which colour one likes.

I had the opportunity to swap my silver 50mm for the black a couple of weeks ago and I'm very pleased I did. I find it noticeably lighter in everyday use and the focus ring is also smoother but I don't know if that is a feature of silver vs black or just luck on purchase.

I was a bit nervous as I originally had the imfamous focus issue with the original silver one and both body and lens had to be calibrated but fortunately no such issue with the new black one (just touched some wood)

My photos still look the same though :D

I had the opportunity to swap my silver 50mm for the black a couple of weeks ago and I'm very pleased I did. I find it noticeably lighter in everyday use and the focus ring is also smoother but I don't know if that is a feature of silver vs black or just luck on purchase.

I was a bit nervous as I originally had the imfamous focus issue with the original silver one and both body and lens had to be calibrated but fortunately no such issue with the new black one (just touched some wood)

My photos still look the same though :D

Interesting, as I went from black to silver, and the silver one is much smoother in both focusing and aperture ring. Yes, noticeably heavier, but I like the feel for it more than the black one.

photo-1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for the info Keith, but I still cant relate to 4 1/2 oz.....I am used to 3 kilo Nikon lenses:):):) . so I guess my question is if you stick a Black lens on a M-9 and then stick the silver lens on the same M-9 is there a WOW factor, in other words does it make a huge difference??

Since many dealers have both in stock right now why not go to a dealer and try them out for yourself?