Avenon/Kobalux 21mm adaptor?

WillD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just purchased an Avenon/Kobalux 21mm lens to use with my M9 and M6. Given that it is a screw mount I just wondered whether anyone could give me some guidance on adaptor rings before I purchased one?

I think I need an M39 35/135mm adaptor, although there seems to be different other expressions such as a Type II or LSM LTM etc? However there also seems to be plenty of 'generic' options around the £12 mark or a Voigtlander at £48?

If anyone could give me guidance it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Normally you shouldn't need to buy an adapter, as long, as the lens is complete.

Check the seller again, if the original adapter is still included with the lens.

The Avenon 21mm lenses came with an LTM-M adapter included and it's own Avenon M mount lens cap.

Thanks for both of your comments.

Yes of course, good point re framelines! Thank you.

Also I'm pleased to hear the generic adaptors work fine. Unfortunately the adaptor is the one accessory that was missing from this kit (as well as the original lens cap, but I may try and find a generic aluminium screw cap or similar).

Thanks again.

... The Avenon 21mm lenses came with an LTM-M adapter included and it's own Avenon M mount lens cap.

I bought my 21 Kobalux from someone who'd had it new and there was definitely no LTM-M adaptor that came with the lens. Perhaps the Avenon, Kobalux, and Pasoptik were different in that regard.

Yes, you *can* use any LTM-M adaptor but there's something you might like to consider: if you're planning to use your lens on an M8 or M9 and want to code it to compensate for the vignetting etc (I have a Milich adaptor with the pre-cut pits) then you need to get one that brings up 28/90 frame lines or the M8 and M9 won't recognise it despite the coding.

'Jinfinance' on that online auction site offers good, inexpensive LTM-M adaptors with pre-cut pits.

Pete.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pete's right, you do need a 28/90 adapter if you're using it on the 8/8.2. I got mine with 6 bit pits from that auction site - can't remember the make. Mine (Avenon) is the limited Millenium edition and it did not come with its own adapter. It did however come with end caps, lens hood, and the huge finder. Takes a 58mm filter size. A very good lens!

• Like 1

Pete's right, you do need a 28/90 adapter if you're using it on the 8/8.2. I got mine with 6 bit pits from that auction site - can't remember the make. Mine (Avenon) is the limited Millenium edition and it did not come with its own adapter. It did however come with end caps, lens hood, and the huge finder. Takes a 58mm filter size. A very good lens!

In fact, I choose my black Millennium sample often over the Hexanon 21-35 and Super-Elmar, just because it has such a lovely low contrast and a rendering, that fits much, much better to the pre ASPH Leica lenses ;-)

It nowhere near comes close to the other two lenses' performance though in sharpness and distortion.

In fact, I choose my black Millennium sample often over the Hexanon 21-35 and Super-Elmar, just because it has such a lovely low contrast and a rendering, that fits much, much better to the pre ASPH Leica lenses ;-)

It nowhere near comes close to the other two lenses' performance though in sharpness and distortion.

I agree, Dirk. it's excellent value I think and has superb build quality.

Mine has no hot spot and I use it almost exclusively for handheld infrared work with my M8.

Pete.

• Like 1

I bought my 21 Kobalux from someone who'd had it new and there was definitely no LTM-M adaptor that came with the lens. Perhaps the Avenon, Kobalux, and Pasoptik were different in that regard.

Yes, you *can* use any LTM-M adaptor but there's something you might like to consider: if you're planning to use your lens on an M8 or M9 and want to code it to compensate for the vignetting etc (I have a Milich adaptor with the pre-cut pits) then you need to get one that brings up 28/90 frame lines or the M8 and M9 won't recognise it despite the coding.

'Jinfinance' on that online auction site offers good, inexpensive LTM-M adaptors with pre-cut pits.

Pete.

Thanks Pete, very useful.

I will look to get myself the necessary 28/90 adaptor. Could you pointme in the right direction in order to find the correct coding?

Thanks, Will

Will you can currently find the 8-bit codes here on Carsten Whimster's website, who is a forum member here and has very kindly researched and hosted them for the past 6 years or so. Unfortunately Carsten has moved away from digital Leicas and has asked for someone else to host the codes because he wants to use the webspace for other things. I understand that Andy Barton is arranging for them to be hosted in this forum's Wiki pages but I don't think they're there just yet and I don't know how long they'll be available on Carsten's site.

As far as which Leica lens to code your Kobalux/Avenon as, there are many and varied opinions although the popular opinion seems to me to be to code it as a 21/2.8 Elmarit pre-asph. I've settled on that code after trying the coding for the 21/2.8 Elmarit asph and the 16-18-21/4 Wide Angle Tri-Elmar but got fed up with having to select the focal length from the three every time I put the Kobalux back on. For correction of vignetting and colour casts in the corners I think that the coding for the Elmarit pre-asph is slightly better than the others but YMMV.:rolleyes:

Pete.

• Like 1

Pete, I love mine especially for it's very compact and light build + that vintage barrel design, fitting so nicely in handling to my older lenses ;-)

I too select the 21 Elmarit pre ASPH code in the M9 menu, when I feel like it, but I shoot B&W almost exclusively and actually like a natural light falloff, so I don't mind to use it without code.