Which lens combination for Greek islands?

mercan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Lens choice does depend a bit on where you go to -- in some places the architecture demands a wide-angle, in others a 50 is more useful for street scenes. In the Greek Islands a 28 or 35 would be very useful; best all-rounder is probably the 35. For views of the island from onboard, though, you could probably use something longer.

Of course if you took a compact D-Lux 5 you'd be covered from 24 to 90, but then these questions would never come up!

We loved the Greek Islands, and out of those mentioned by the OP, have visited Rhodes and Santorini. We used the local ferries so I am not sure how much time a cruise would give you to see the islands in the evening? If so, Santorini at sunset and the Rhodes Old Town at night would be rewarding.

I have been in Crete for the last 3 months and I brought a 35 summilux, 50 summilux and 75 summicron and a 3 stop ND filter. 95% of the time the 35 is on camera and for the 5% it isn't I wished that it was. I could have saved myself the bother of bringing the extra lenses.

The above probably won't help you but I sometimes feel that too much choice gets in the way.

Tony

I agree with you Tony. 90% of my shots seem to be taken with a 35 Summicron. But I think the difference here is that the OP is on a cruise where everything is rushed and crowded. It may not be the way you or I would choose to travel. In fact, when I do the Greek islands again, I hope to have several months to explore and treasure just two or three islands. Three or four months off-season would be perfect. (A late summer/early fall cruise on a 12 meter sloop would be even better.) Even then, the villages can be very crowded when the cruise ships are in port. And the folks from the cruise ship only have a few hours to see as much as they can. In this case, the 28 is a better focal length. Yes, a step or two back with a 35 mm gives the same frame but someone is going to be standing there or another person will take advantage of the space you just created and walk in front of you. They are tourists, after all, and manners are not their strong suit.

On the other hand, the 75 is a good focal length for portraits and detailed compositions. It is great for photographing one's lady (or man) from across a cafe table or the man with the donkey coming down the street. Sure, this lens will only see occasional action but it would prove invaluable when needed.

And, most importantly, the 28/75 lens set is the one the OP has had the longest so it will be very comfortable for him to use. It's like me reaching for my 35/90 set - I know it will cover my needs most of the time and is as familiar as my backpack and hiking shoes.

Mercan, may I also recommend you check out the Santorini wines? The soil, rainfall, and other factors led to a rather unique tasting wine. Slightly less dry than Kavaklidere Cankaya, perhaps more like Efsane. But they tend to have a more citrus-like flavor. If you find one you like, enjoy it and take a couple of bottles home with you.

Richam, you are right I am from Anatolia, so especially the west cost is very familiar to me. I will love to try Santorini wines and I want to compare them with the home made wines from Sirince, a small village next to Ephesus. To take a couple of wines with me to home is not so easily, I am living in Saudi Arabia :).

I think you have to update your photographs from Turkey, I don't think there is much change in the eastern side but I believe you can find great difference in the western Anatolia.

After all these messages, 35'lux still looks more reasonable as one lens kit, it is as I wrote is a new lens for me, so I have more motivation to use it.. I have to go to another vacation for noctilux..:)

I was on a cruise 2 years ago in the Mediterranean and I had with me an Olympus E-PL1 with a 14-42 zoom (28-82 equivalent with the 2x). Never missed a shot.

If I were to do the same with a Leica, I would bring along the following 21-35-50-90. On any shore excursion, I would select either the 21 and 50 or the 35 and 90 and I think I will be very happy.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was on a cruise 2 years ago in the Mediterranean and I had with me an Olympus E-PL1 with a 14-42 zoom (28-82 equivalent with the 2x). Never missed a shot.

If I were to do the same with a Leica, I would bring along the following 21-35-50-90. On any shore excursion, I would select either the 21 and 50 or the 35 and 90 and I think I will be very happy.

Sounds like an X-2 would be the best to have if you want to carry a Leica.