Which lens combination for Greek islands?

mercan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ummm... Lars said: and started off the cellphone remark with the word " if". He has been pulled out of context here. Reading the complete post does not produce a snide remark at all.

Jaap,really? That "if" makes the difference? You really want people to believe he was pulled out of context? Read his post. If you don't agree that he is rude to a new poster then, I guess you and I have a difference in what is civil.

algrove, yeah I see that... I plead auto-Mac-edit.

Edited by RickLeica
  • Like 1

I spent several months in Greece and many more elsewhere in the Mediterranean. Using a film camera I usually had a 35 mounted on it, but occasionally I chose a 90 or 135. Even the 35 was a little long for my taste, last time I took a 24 but wasn't pleased with the results; so - I would say either a 28 or 35 as the main shooter, your choice on the longer end...BUT NOT the Nocti. I also strongly recommend the trip out of Kusadisi to Ephesis....a short hop out of there is the house (rebuilt) which Mary moved to after Jesus was crucified..., it is a shrine now, but if you can get there either early or late, it is worth the short ride. Also, on the Discovery channel was a fascinating recent study of the archeology of Ephesis around 20 AD when it was the 2nd largest Roman seaport in the Mediterranean, very sophisticated civil engineering only recently figured out.

• Like 2

The recurrent indecision of which lenses to take for X trip is really a symptom of having too many lenses from which to choose (aka, GAS). Take your 28 and 75 and spend your time having fun. Any one or two lens combinations will work well in Greece, Italy, France, USA and anywhere else in the world.

• Like 1

For the record: Anyone who does actually read what I did write will see that I have directed no 'snide remarks' at the poster. I am pretty careful with my words. I try my damned best to get them right. This is why you have never seen me using emoticons or 'smileys': What I mean should be clear from what I write.

Maybe that has to do with the fact that English is not my first language – more of 'first-and-a-half' than second though. I know that there is a risk of getting it wrong. Similarly, I am much aware of the fact that I may misread what other people write, so I do read pretty carefully too. Some people (note: generic remark) do not read sentences – they react mechanically to single words taken out of context, like whan you press a button.

Again, 'some people' does not mean 'the offended poster'. It means just that: 'Some people'.

And to Jaap too, English is a second language. He is of course also used to interpreting the sounds that people make when their mouths are full of odontological gear.

The old man from the Age of the Low Speed Drill

Look, some people ask for suggestions because they just want to be involved with others, to converse, sometimes to find collaborators, or at worst, co-conspirators to their wish to consume. The OP knows in his heart that he should stick with the lenses with which he is already familiar. Take your wrath to the stupid "which strap" types, then on to the "which bag" folks.

Lars: Maybe that has to do with the fact that English is not my first language

Then why is your English better than mine? Really, I do not want to know.

--

Pico - "Yeah, I had a Rolex but frankly never had better times than those with a Timex."

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jaap,really? That "if" makes the difference? You really want people to believe he was pulled out of context? Read his post. If you don't agree that he is rude to a new poster then, I guess you and I have a difference in what is civil.

Yes - really. See also who thanked the post - not one of those members would tolerate a rude one.

No mater what lenses you take insure them fully. Listen to #3 since he's from Greece and is rich.

Moi?? At least you got the "from Greece" part right.

I understand mercan is from Turkey, so is probably quite familiar with the sights there; at least will not be in a rushed side excursion to visit Efes, Merymana, and other nearby locations. If leisurely visiting these sites by oneself, I'd recommend taking a fairly full set of equipment.

But let me amplify my original point. Guided land tours on cruise port calls suggest a simple approach. On/Off the bus -- 10 minute "rest" stop -- 5 minute photo op, blah, blah; these tours limit one's ability to use a full equipment set, and it's more important to pay attention to the scenery than occupy one's mind with lens and equipment issues. If instead of organized tours one has some hours of free time to explore, then a couple of lenses and a few other items would be useful.

Santorini -- Besides the touristic white with blue trim buildings and craggy cliffs, try to catch the sunset at Oia, and visit the archeological ruins if possible. The latter are dimly lit, and the Nocti might be worth taking along.

Iyi yolculuklar!

• Like 3

Santorini -- Besides the touristic white with blue trim buildings and craggy cliffs, try to catch the sunset at Oia, and visit the archeological ruins if possible. The latter are dimly lit, and the Nocti might be worth taking along.

Agree about Oia. If by the ruins you mean the ones at Akrotiri they have recently been revamped. On the upside they are now in a beautiful, purpose-built building. It's possible to get decent shots in there but I think it is best shot in monochrome - which it pretty well is anyway... On the downside they have less labels than a cheap pair of knickers. There is almost nothing to indicate what you are looking at so a good guide book (which they do not sell on site - or a guide - are essential. I recommend the cafe down in the harbour for cafe frappé by the way. The wall paintings are in Fira, in a museum and a separate display; if you can, go there first for context.

Regards,

Bill

If by the ruins you mean the ones at Akrotiri they have recently been revamped

There are also ruins in Ancient Thira - it's at the top of the large lump of rock that separates Kamari from Perisa. I suspect that the earlier poster was indeed referring to Akrotiri.

My first ever trip as an independent traveller to Greece had me spending my first night near Akrotiri. Not a good start to my holiday - though that was due to the accommodation not the location. I should have realised that £3.50 a night wasn't going to get me much.

Agree about Oia. If by the ruins you mean the ones at Akrotiri they have recently been revamped. On the upside they are now in a beautiful, purpose-built building. It's possible to get decent shots in there but I think it is best shot in monochrome - which it pretty well is anyway... On the downside they have less labels than a cheap pair of knickers. There is almost nothing to indicate what you are looking at so a good guide book (which they do not sell on site - or a guide - are essential. I recommend the cafe down in the harbour for cafe frappé by the way. The wall paintings are in Fira, in a museum and a separate display; if you can, go there first for context.

Regards,

Bill

Bill, I was referring to the ruins discovered in the 1950s when they were quarrying limestone for cement for the Aswan dam. Last I saw them was about 10-15 years ago. Egad, time flies. Sorry to hear the ruins have been removed from their original places. The "abanded city" had no human ruins, so they must have been pre-warned somehow about the impending eruption, tsunami, or whatever happened circa 1600 BC.

Mercan, may I also recommend you check out the Santorini wines? The soil, rainfall, and other factors led to a rather unique tasting wine. Slightly less dry than Kavaklidere Cankaya, perhaps more like Efsane. But they tend to have a more citrus-like flavor. If you find one you like, enjoy it and take a couple of bottles home with you.

• Like 1

It has been 20 years since my wife and I put on our backpacks and took the ferries from Greek island to Greek island. As always, I took my M4 with a 35 and a 90. I also borrowed a 28 Elmarit from my father. The 90 was often too long and the 35 never seemed wide enough. The 28 was the perfect lens for exploring the villages. A 75 would be the perfect companion. Great times! But Italian wines are far better.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Look, some people ask for suggestions because they just want to be involved with others, to converse, sometimes to find collaborators, or at worst, co-conspirators to their wish to consume. The OP knows in his heart that he should stick with the lenses with which he is already familiar. Take your wrath to the stupid "which strap" types, then on to the "which bag" folks.

Then why is your English better than mine? Really, I do not want to know.

--

Pico - "Yeah, I had a Rolex but frankly never had better times than those with a Timex."

And apparently that is reason enough for the aforementioned "some people" to bitch at them and/or bash them with snide remarks and a pissy attitude. Jeez, guys - don't get your period! The gent was just thinking out loud! :rolleyes:

As an aside, I just acquired a Hermes M9 with the orange leather and I'm going to get a nice Luigi strap for it. Do you think I should get purple or chartreuse? :p

Edited by Messsucherkamera

I get the sense that some here are sleep deprived from watching the Olympics!

I am planning to go Greek islands for 5 days on a cruise ship.

I have 28'cron, 35'lux, noctilux f0.95 and 75'cron. I don't want to carry all these lenses as usual. What can be the ideal lens setup? just to carry one lens like 35'lux or 28'cron plus noctilux or any other combination?

I have been using 28'cron and 75'cron for the last two years, I got the other two lenses just in this month so I couldn't decide..

Thanks

If we leave aside unhelpful suggestions about cellphones and how much gear you have (GAS), and how stupid you are to ask such a question here, I'm often in the same position as you. Thinking about what I might see and want to photograph, and reluctant to leave lenses I might need behind.

There are a number of balancing factors which go beyond focal length, and your stupidity in asking such a question here - reducing weight and complexity, getting to know the strengths of particular lenses so you can really capture what you wanted to capture, rather than just taking a snap, and having the speed, rendering and focal length that works for you.

All your lenses are reasonably fast, so speed is not really an issue (I'd suggest) - the Noct gives you a couple of stops over the 75 Cron, and the 28 Cron 1 stop slower than the 35 Lux. The rendering is slightly different for each, but they're all ASPH so perhaps that's not a big issue.

I would look at it this way - the choice is 75 or Noct (neither is light or small). People complain about the size and weight of the Noct, but I don't really buy into that. I like its feel on my M9, and I find it easier to focus than the 75 Cron. It's also a new lens for you, and I would take it. The field of view between it and the 75 is actually not that great.

Between the 28 and the 35, there is a subtle, but important difference in field of view. I like that little bit more that the 28 gives me, so in a two lens kit, I tend to take the 28 with the 50.

That's what I would do - my recollections of the Greek isles is houses with white plaster and blue roofs, ruins, and expansive scenes with sparkling seas; I wouldn't waste my time taking many of those chocolate box pictures, in truth. That means (for me) some tight scenes (either Noct or 75 would do), and the 28 for more general purpose work - I like getting in close with the 28.

I tend not to take the 50 & 35 together, especially when I have wider and longer available.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

There is actually some logic behind this type of post . Since I have most of the M lens ...whenever I take a trip I select the most appropriate lenses for the area .

STEP 1 is what FOV will get used most . If the streets are narrow and I expect to be in crowds or otherwise able to get close I go wider .If I am restricted in my movement around water I go longer . You need both so you either take more lenses or compromise on both ends. I use two bodies so I can afford to go a little wider on one body .

STEP 2 If the light is strong I might pick lenses like the 28 and 50 sum microns because they handle the high contrast better than the summiluxes . If its over cast or I expect winter light ...I go with the summiluxes .

STEP 3 I consider how much walking I will be doing and for how long and also whether I have a secure place should I bring more lenses.

The question on the Noctilux is do you have security (safe ) on board and will you be able to keep the lens with you or locked up. I often take my Noctilux and just put it in the safe ...then I would pull it out for some evening work or a walk to dinner . But if I had to carry it in a bag all day I would t bring it .

The 28 is the obvious choice as its wide enough provide context in the photographs and fast enough for the probably good weather. The 75 you will need as you are shooting around water ..so you can t walk over and get closer .

Edited by glenerrolrd
  • Like 2

There is actually some logic behind this type of post

I still disagree.

A number of people have suggested taking wide angel lenses - 28mm and wider. The reasons given for using such lenses sound sensible, are sensible. However I know from my personal experience of visiting many islands over a many years that my preferred lens is a 35mm. Nothing wrong with people using wider, but I prefer not to.

So if I'd have followed the advice given I'd have taken a lens wider than I would have been happiest with. Good advice given, but not a good choice for _me_. And that's the problem. We can all recommend what _we_ would take, but there's no guarantee that the person asking the question will find our suggestions at all useful once he, or she, arrives on the scene.

Well, sometimes I read sensible advice in these threads. Like " take the lenses you would be most comfortable with when visiting a nice hilly beach location at home with picturesque villages in summer"

Actually one can look at travel brochures and transpose to one own's style of photography.

Btw, I find the lens stable of the OP has a glaring hole in it: For the most universal focal length he has the most specialized lens. There is an obvious lack of a fifty that does not need to be kept in a safe but can be carried around with the camera, ready to take photographs. Say, an Elmar-M or Summarit.

Edited by jaapv

Btw, I find the lens stable of the OP has a glaring hole in it: For the most universal focal length he has the most specialized lens. There is an obvious lack of a fifty that does not need to be kept in a safe but can be carried around with the camera, ready to take photographs. Say, an Elmar-M or Summarit.

I think this point helps make the case for the usefulness of the Summarit/ compact Elmar range of Leica lenses when weight, size, security can be issues when travelling. Most of my travel photography occurs during daylight hours and I have no need for the heavier faster and sometimes more expensive lenses. I tend to shoot around f5.6 to f8 to get the most out of the lenses and certainly the Summarits can perform as well as the other Leica lenses at these apertures.

As to which lenses to take, does the OP not have some idea of his photographic style and lens preferences based on past experience? If not then might I suggest a 35 mm and 75mm lens. I think the 35 mm gives useful wide angle without too much distortion to buildings and horizons assuming distortion may be an issue to the OP. Cropping of the 35 mm image will allow you to effectively cover the missing 50 mm lens. 75mm is good for portraits if I assume the OP is going to take pictures of people and also I think it is invaluable on a cruise ship for photographing approaching harbours and interesting coastal features from a distance. Also, the 75 mm image can be cropped to effectively cover a 90/105 mm lens.