To Leica, Please Answer This...!!!

atufte

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IS THERE ANY PROGRESS IN FINDING THE "SUDDEN DEATH" BUG IN OUR BELOWED M8's....?

After daily reports about M8's dying on people, i think i can speak for everyone in this forum and for all M8 users in general, what's happening with this VERY SERIOUS ISSUE...??

WILL WE EVER BE ABLE TO RELY ON THIS CAMERA...??

SO PLEASE LEICA....GIVE US SOME REASSURING NEWS, and do NOT just read this,

REPLY TO IT so that everyone can read and understand your strategy on this SERIOUS MATTER....

Best Regards

The Leica M8 Users...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My baby has not gone thru this ... yet ... but I would be heart-broken when she does ...

NO NO NO ... Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and

NO NO NO ... Sudden M8 Death Syndrome (SMDS) either !!!

I feel the pain for those who have experienced any of the above. :(

Email Customer Services at Leica with specific issues.

A public forum is not the place for responses, as I am sure you understand.

But this is something everyone would like to know, why not demand an answer directly to it's source...?

With all due respect, I disagree as to whether Leica should respond in this public forum. Leica can either chose to continue to ignore all of the problems being posted and allow the perception to permeate the Internet that the camera is a lemon and that Leica doesn't have a solution or they can respond by making users and prospective customers aware that they have identified the problem(s) and that they have a solution and what it is. Which image would you want to portray about your product and your company if you were running marketing/PR?

But this is something everyone would like to know, why not demand an answer directly to it's source...?

Alexander, I offer you my condolences.

And I would like to encourage you a bit. I don't know if you know the ERR58 story of Konica Minoltas 7D camera. A construction error caused the death of this camera, a single mechanical part in this camera breaks in many many cameras. As a result the camera is dead.

In many forums the users organized themselves analyzed their camera faults, draw statistics even got a service manual of this camera from somewhere. This was a journey of months.

In the meantime Sony had aquired the camera division of Konica Minolta. I think they didn't felt comfortable with the huge amount of user complaints. If I rember right, some forums send them the statistics.

One day recently KonicaMinolta and Sony made an official statement. All dead KM7D cameras with ERR58 are repaired for free, users get the money or a new camera from Sony even after the warranty has expired - forever.

What I sometimes don't like in this forum is that some users occasional play the role of our supplier instead of representing the position of the customer.

So, good luck that you get repaired your faulty camera quickly.

This isn't the source.

This is a public forum, sponsored by Leica. This isn't Leica itself.

Ok, but i think this is a similar serious issue, like the IR issue, which Leica

responded to and made public on this forum, but if it's posted in the wrong place,

feel free to remove it... :-)

I have sent numerous mails directly to Leica Tech Solms, but i feel i always get

an answer from the wrong person, which usually is something like:

Dear Mr. Tufte,

sorry, but I still don´t have any news on this issue.

What I sometimes don't like in this forum is that some users occasional play the role of our supplier instead of representing the position of the customer.

I hope that you aren't including me in this list of users ;)

I am just pointing out that it is not usual business practice for firms to post responses on public internet forums.

Why do I get the uneasy feeling that some people believe that Leica is engaged in a sinister conspiracy of deception? And that somehow justice can be served to the maligned fraternity of M8 owners by a confession from Leica for its sins while begging for mercy from the forum in a desperate act of contrition. Sorry guy and gals, but this is all a little too melodramatic. If you look at Leica's response to the M8's problems over the last several months you'll see they've been amazingly forthright and responsive -- much more than any other camera company I've dealt with. Be patient, have a good stiff drink, shoot some photos and disengage your keyboard's caps lock (sorry Alexander). These problems aren't going to be solved over a weekend and Leica doesn't need to expose itself to the whims of this forum.

Larry

I hope that you aren't including me in this list of users ;)

I am just pointing out that it is not usual business practice for firms to post responses on public internet forums.

I will explain a bit. Internet has changed the requirements for business to consumer communication strongly. It's impossible for companies to control their perception in the market by applying classic marketing methods. Thousands of internet forums and blogs bring transparency into product faults and product quality. They form opinion.

Some companies tried to influence opinion by wrong tactics. That didn't work.

The best way for companies is honest direct communication with the customer at the hotspots, i.e. a forum like this. Some companies are practizing this with success.

Of course this has to come along with solutions and quality improvement.

Leica just didn't get that. They have this wonderful forum and don't use it as a competitive advantage.

Larry,

Why do you think any of us think Leica is engaged in some sinister conspiracy of deception? I certainly don't. I am concerned because over the last 3 months there have been numerous failures reported by credible members that have been strong Leica proponents and yet when they have gotten their cameras back not a word on what caused the failure. Even individuals like Sean haven't been able to report what failed on their camera. Has it been the same thing in each camera, has it been more than one thing, etc. To use an analogy with all of its inherent dangers, when I have taken my car in for a malfunction, the repair statement (even when covered under warranty) itemizes the work that was done and the parts that were replaced. Leica has chosen not to reveal this information which might lead some to believe that they are hiding something.

I don't know if you own an M8 or not but if you do, then you should be empathetic to anyone that has plunked down their hard earned cash with the reasonable expectation that they would have a superior and reliable camera.

I will explain a bit. Internet has changed the requirements for business to consumer communication strongly. It's impossible for companies to control their perception in the market by applying classic marketing methods. Thousands of internet forums and blogs bring transparency into product faults and product quality. They form opinion.

Some companies tried to influence opinion by wrong tactics. That didn't work.

The best way for companies is honest direct communication with the customer at the hotspots, i.e. a forum like this. Some companies are practizing this with success.

Of course this has to come along with solutions and quality improvement.

Leica just didn't get that. They have this wonderful forum and don't use it as a competitive advantage.

Phillip,

I couldn't agree with you more!

I regretfully subscribe to this request. My M8 worked fine for three months. Then today while I was shooting my grandchildren on a ski hill (+5C) it just stopped and hung there. The display in the finder was on and the red light on the back was blinking. It would not switch off, even when I took out the battery. I mean the minute I put it back, it continued. Then I put it under my jacket and ten minutes later - and ever since - it worked just fine. Odd. Not a tragedy - but some open communication would be appreciated. It would help a lot.