50mm Summilux ASPH vs. non-asph

Jon Pop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use both on B&W film bodies and prefer the rendering of the pre-ASPH there. I really like the ASPH on my NEX-7 though.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use both on B&W film bodies and prefer the rendering of the pre-ASPH there. I really like the ASPH on my NEX-7 though.

Interesting point re ASPH in digital capture vs film. On M-digitals, as I noted in an earlier post, I notice that the 50 ASPH "lifts" tonality and gradations of color better than any 50 I've used, including the pre-ASPH. Especially in low or difficult light. It seems to me perfectly designed for digital work, where highlights are protected via a bit of underexposure and often shadows need to be pulled up in post-processing.

What Peter said is true for me as well, my favorite 50 on B&W film is the pre-ASPH (also in my case the ZM C-Sonnar).

The four ASPH lenses I've used with M-digitals all share this trait - I think it's the same thing that Erwin Puts refers to as "sparkle."

Apologies for the digression and subjectivity, just think it's worth mentioning.

• Like 1

I used to own a black paint 50mm pre-asph for few years. I replaced it with the ASPH version and I'm very happy. There were two things I didn't like about the pre-asph one: 1) the slide-out hood, 2) soft at close distances at 1.4. Other than that, it was a fantastic lens and very much worth its money. If I could afford to keep it I would still use both, but the ASPH one is a better (for me) overall performer and that's the one I kept. It has more "punch" or "bite" at 1.4, and I very much like it.

Savvas

P.S. I only use B&W film, so the comments above are based on that.

• Thanks 1

Jon:

What did you decide? There are plenty of threads on this topic on this forum, do a search. Here is something I did recently with the ASPH version. The bokeh is arguably much better, and if you are looking for clinical sharpness, you can't beat it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great photo Wilfredo! I've decided to keep my 50 'Lux Asph. I shoot with an MP and an M9 and it looks beautiful on both. I recently did some work on the MP with Delta 3200 and the Lux ASPH and it came out beautifully. I probably just have the usual gear fantasies/questions. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Lux ASPH (indeed, many lust after it!); I just haven't 'bonded' with it the same way I did with both of the 50 'Crons I had over the years. Not sure why, but I know it'll come.

Cheers,

Jon