Leica 28mm cron bokeh at F2

stump4545

I can't comment on the 24 Summilux or the potential 28 Summilux ! But here are a few of the 28mm Summicron at F2(top 2) F2.8(third) and F4.8(last)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Sorry, yes M9 (M9-P)

I find a good level of Bokeh, a tad less than a 35 but still a noticeable amount. The bokeh is not 'confused' or harsh IMO, and actually quite smooth but still with some interest. Much nicer IMO than the 35 Summicron ASPH.

One in low light at f2 (Not a great shot, but you can see the way it renders on the edge of the laptop and 'twigs' at the back). It is a little fragmented but not in a harsh way and more classical than most modern lenses. I also show it at 5.6 as it still has bokeh in the distance here too, nearer 35 to OOF amount than 24. I also recognise image depth with the 28 Summicron more so than the 35 Summicon ASPH. Plus I LOVE it's micro contrast stopped down

• Like 1

in practice, is there much bokeh to be had at f2?

seems as there is from your first image.

thanks

If you can open up wide enough, there is ALWAYS bokeh. 'Boke' is simply Japanese for 'fuzziness' (actually, the absent-mindedness of very old people). So every lens with enough speed does have it.

The question is how it looks like. Is it smooth and creamy, or harsh and unruly? Good or bad? Also, remember that the actual bokeh in your picture is as much (or even more) a function of the de-focused subject itself as it is of the lens.

In practice, the bokeh tendencies of a lens are largely dependent on how spherical aberration is corrected, or under-corrected, or over-corrected. Modern lenses with aspherical surfaces tend to have smoother bokeh than older designs. The 28mm 'cron is simply wonderful for bokeh.

The old man from the Kodachrome Age

• Like 1

The bokeh from the 28 Cron is beautiful. Simply beautiful. I was going to post a few images, but you really need to see prints. Small digital files really don't do it justice like an A3 print does.

I'll class the bokeh it produces as 'smooth'.

• Like 2

You are getting into fine tolerances comparing a 28mm F/2 with a 24mm F/1.4, simply because the 24mm will have intrinsically greater DOF as a lens. So comparing them you could well see something very similar regarding bokeh, f/1.4 looking very similar to f/2. But the 28mm Summicron does have very nice bokeh wide open even though it may have some vignetting.

Steve

• Like 1

Really nice to see someone connected with this fine lens and using its distinctive characteristics (in your compositions and wide open here).

I was neglecting mine for some years and am only now trying some wider open shots with it.

• Like 2

Brian those are all interesting and appealing too. The OoF lights behind Kelly in one shot make for an intriguing element in the shot. You reminded me of using that lens wide open on my M8 here.

Margaritas in Santa Monica photo - Geoff Hopkinson photos at pbase.com

Edited by hoppyman
typos
  • Like 2