Either a 50, 75, or 90mm to go with my current lenses

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Agree with all suggestions regarding your artistic preferences.

Travelled to Europe each of past three years. Like 18, 35, MATE, and 75 Lux. While have and like 90 Elmarit and 135 Tel-Elmar usually don't take.

Do bring more than wish to carry and select 3 lenses based on where going for the day. So could be low light, close spaces, mountains etc. 18 great for churches and old towns; 75 for close-ups and low light and concentrating on essentials. MATE great travel lens and highly recommended with faster alternative.

Fact is you can find or make pics with any lens so can still bring four and carry one or two per sortie leaving rest in hotel safe.

Going to Nam? Wonderful.

Read the novel "The Girl from Ha Giang" by Martin Love before you go or take it with you. It captures contemporary Nam in somewhat the same fashion Graham Greene did half a century ago. It's a lot more of a faction than a fiction, or rather a lot of facts wrapped in a thin veneer of fiction, and the descriptions are rather photogenic, too. The author is a Leica owner solely. Book is available on Amazon.

• 3 months later...
My 75/2 was hopeless 'out of the box' and has been back to Solms for remedial treatment.

Now it's ok, and I have to say I really like this lens..... although it's not one that I reach for most of the time...

In my hands I found the DOF with the 90/2 so shallow that it was useless for portraits wide open and for anything that wasn't completely static a real problem. It's also heavy and I found it less ergonomic in use than that other monster ...the 50/0.95. I much prefer the 90/4 ..... it's short, light and much easier to hand hold at lower speeds so the lack of a few stops is partially nullified.

If I had to choose it would be the 75/2..... as long as you have a well adjusted copy....:rolleyes:

Like DLS ..... if I take my Noctilux it tends to stay on the camera 24/7...... it really can do everything and is a delight to use .... focus is spot on and easy due to the long focus throw.

Otherwise if 50 takes my fancy and I'm taking other heavyish lenses, its the 50/2.8 collapsible which is a super little compact lens.

Last trip to France was a boot full of lenses but I only ever carried around the 90/4, 21/3.4 and Noctilux on the camera.

Depends if you want a holiday with some photography or a photographic endurance test carting around a pile of stuff you may never use.......

I guarantee you will not miss what you have left behind..... but you may well regret hauling around more than you need.....:p

90 4.0 macro is the one if you do not need a fast lens and it does photos under 6 feet better than any other one now or before.

It is light and carryable.

• Like 1

90 4.0 macro is the one if you do not need a fast lens and it does photos under 6 feet better than any other one now or before.

It is light and carryable.

I fully agree : 21+35+90 collapsible has been for years my preferred "light set" (now, with M8, is someway different... :o) : M9 does support cropping very well in case of longer needs (even M8 does).

Only issue is that 90 Macro is really a costly item : a used Elmarit M 90 can be a savvy alternative : it is indeed bulky like a Summicron 90 preasph... or even more... but is a fantastic performer and, as you say, 90 at f2 is really a risky bet in action.

Ha ha Neil it's "Focus Peaking".

1,000 for the M9 ? better keep my mouth shut when I meet her next.:eek:

If you're looking for lens for the M - my dream lens is the 280mm Apo-telyt R. :rolleyes:

Have to save up for it after paying for my M.

Not mounted on a new M with focus picking:D:D

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Ha ha Neil it's "Focus Peaking".

1,000 for the M9 ? better keep my mouth shut when I meet her next.:eek:

If you're looking for lens for the M - my dream lens is the 280mm Apo-telyt R. :rolleyes:

Have to save up for it after paying for my M.

Fang

I got the 90mm Summicron from the guy I was telling you about in Scotland. I also ordered the M and all the accessories to go with it from him as well (EVF, grip, & R adapter) I will get the Leica R Fisheye when I am in Hong Kong for Christmas.

See you next month

Neil

I have been watching threads on 90mm lenses as I have pondered on which variant to add to my armoury. In terms of performance/weight/size I decided the Elmarit-M f2.8 was the one for my needs. Having perused dealer's websites for a while, tonight I took the plunge on a late model 'mint' item (well, it is my birthday!) and am really looking forward to putting it's capabilities to use.