Instructions for updating LEICA camera Firmware

andybarton

My problem is that I cannot follow the instructions - I am working on a Mac, I have formatted a card, I have downloaded the M_240-2.0.1.5.FW file, but I cannot move the file to the formatted card from the desktop.

When I try to drag and drop it, I get a 'no entry' sign and no result.

I have tried dragging to the SD card symbol, and also to the opened card file structure.

What do I do now?

My problem is that I cannot follow the instructions - I am working on a Mac, I have formatted a card, I have downloaded the M_240-2.0.1.5.FW file, but I cannot move the file to the formatted card from the desktop.

When I try to drag and drop it, I get a 'no entry' sign and no result.

I have tried dragging to the SD card symbol, and also to the opened card file structure.

What do I do now?

Is your card write-protected?

Try dragging any random file from your desktop to the card. Does that transfer?

Are you logged in with Admin rights?

Right click on the card and go to "Get info". Towards the bottom you will see what rights you have in working with that card. You obviously need to be able to Read and Write to the card.

Right click on the card and go to "Get info". Towards the bottom you will see what rights you have in working with that card. You obviously need to be able to Read and Write to the card.

That may help - I only have permission to read the card - I have no idea why - I am the administrator, but I do not know how to change the permission...

Philipp & Andy,

Thanks for the guidance.

I finally solved the problem by putting the SD card in an external card reader rather than the built-in one in my iMac.

I don't know why, but this worked!

(It was one suggestion I found by googling the problem).

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
Some time ago I downgraded the firmware to 1.176 just to avoid lock-ups in the discreet mode. And it indeed helped. Do you guys have any observations regarding lock-ups with the newest firmware?

No problems whatsoever as long as I don't do something stupid like switch to Continuous with discreet mode (which should disable discreet regardless.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm new to the Leica world and my M9 states that the firmware is 1.138.  I take it that isn't the latest version as the Leica website has 1.210 as the latest but is that just for those cameras that have had the sensor swap?  If so, what would be the latest one for mine (no sensor swap) and what improvements would it have over the 1.138?

I want to update the firmware for my M9 (which is currently 1202). In the instructions above I have read "3. Download the firmware file from the Leica M site using the “UPDATES” link." My problem is that I cannot find the Leica M site. Using the reference "update" on the site of Leica Camera AG does not help (no hits). Please can anyone help me to find the place where I can find the most recent firmware for my M9. Attaching a link would be helpful. Thanks.