Instructions for updating LEICA camera Firmware

andybarton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here’s a tip for anyone who doesn’t want file numbering to be reset.

This firmware update process will reset file numbering. If you want to preserve your existing file number sequence, put aside a card with photos on it taken immediately before you update. Perform the update and re-insert the card you laid aside. When you start shooting again the camera should start its numbering where it left off, giving you an uninterrupted sequence of file numbers.

Added to M9 FAQ

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest Gilgamesh

Instructions for updating the LEICA M (Typ 240) Firmware

1. Format an SD memory card in your LEICA M.

2. Turn off the camera and insert the card into an SD card reader – either integrated or connected to your computer. (A reader is required for Firmware updates).

3. Download the Firmware file from the Leica M site using the “UPDATES” link.

4. Save the file FW_M240_1_1_0_2.FW at the top level of the card’s folder structure.

5. Remove the card properly from your card reader, insert the card into the camera and close the bottom cover.

6. Press the “INFO” button and hold it, simultaneously turn on the camera using the main switch.

7. The update process takes several 2-4 minutes. “Loading file...” appears on the screen.

8. When the update is done, a corresponding message appears on the screen. The Message disappears after some seconds.

Note:

• If the battery does not have sufficient charge, you will see a corresponding warning message.

This is what the Leica site says as of 11 June 2013.

It calls it an "FW"file as in - FW_M240_1_1_0_2.FW

• 1 month later...

HELP!

I bought an M9, received today from overseas, that has the latest 1.196 firmware, but as reported by the seller, will not recognise the SD card at all.

I have an M8 and formatted an SD card and then copied the 1.196.upd file to the root directory. I had hoped this might enable me to try and re-install the M9 firmware (on my new M9 of course). No success however.

Can someone please share a previous version of the M9 firmware with me, via a Dropbox link or whatever? I want to try a re-install again with that older version.

I have tried using both a Sandisk 8GB card and another brand.

Of course it may be that formatting the card on the M8 will not work in any case.

thanks in advance,

David

That is why we have a FAQ...:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/130720-leica-m8-m8-2-m9-m9p-2.html#post2285118

But - the M8 cards do not work well with the M9. Get a new, unused card and stick that one in the M9. Note - SD or SDHC ONLY!

If the camera does not recognise the card, it cannot install the firmware anyway.

Edited by jaapv

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry more issues: please assist!

I am trying to update my new MM to the latest firmware.

The downloaded update zip is: Mm-1_002.upm file.

Trouble is the MB pro wont recognise .upm and unzip it. Neither will an app I just paid to downloaded from app store.

I am probably being stupid...

Adrian

• 4 months later...

Your instructions were very helpful, especially where the pictures were included. This process was very frustrating and if I had not had your blog this update would not have happened. I went fom1.176 to 1.196, I had to overwrite the card and take the actual update download to my desktop and copy to the card. Trying to put the file directly to the card would not allow it work. I tried it 10 times, before figuring out that I could not load it directly to the card. I have WindowsXP. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thank you.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It would appear that the file that you download from Leica to update the M240 is the firmware itself. (Someone who owns the camera will confirm, I am sure - I don't)

It's not a zipped file (as other firmwares have been)

As I have said above, your Mac (or a PC) cannot use this file and it will not do anything on your computer.

Just drag the file to the root of a newly formated SD card, and follow the instructions for updating.

Just drag the file to the root of a newly formated SD card, and follow the instructions for updating.

See what happens when Leica makes it simple! People presume it must be complex. [emoji21]

The downloaded file has the extension ".FW" and not ZIP, both on my MAC and my Android tablet, and "weighs" 9.5MB. This contradicts what they say on the Leica site, where they said it was a ZIP file of that size.

At first I thought my MAC was unzipping the ZIP file without being asked to, but it's quite the same on Android and the file size most likely would be different if that was the case.

• Like 1

downloaded firmware latest firmware update onto card and it says it is a unix executable file. what's up with that?

That isn't Leica's fault. Your computer just does the best it can to identify it.

Just follow the installation directions and all will be good.

• Like 1