Wonderful travel camera! (M8)

carcam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As Olivier says "What if they decided the Earth is not a planet anymore either?" What if somebody decides what the rest of the people must do or not do?

I have seen the Etrouko Galleries... Too much darkness in the mind, not too much quality.

Francisco.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have seen the Etrouko Galleries... Too much darkness in the mind, not too much quality.

An astonishing statement, Fransisco, that perhaps says more about you than about the images on the Etrouko Galleries. There is outstanding image quality, perception, mastery of light and composition in the One Eye Open gallery, for example. Not all of the Etrouko images may be to your taste but is that reasonable grounds for condemning them as having "not too much quality"?

I'm feeling better now. I will be more careful next time before posting pictures. I appreciate the support from fellow Forum members. I do try to not center images most of the time; with the focusing being in the center of the M8, I'm finding more centered pictures so I know I need to focus and recompose, etc.

And I do appreciate Imants input. It could have been more tactful but I understand. Every Board has an "Imants". He's clearly at a higher level artistically and photographically and after checking his website, I'm more impressed than offended. I don't even have a website- (my ill-fated website of surgical cases and procedures is long gone). I enjoy Porsches and drive a new turbo and am sometimes humbled by the lesser Boxster or M3 putting me in my place at track events. I can handle it. There is an "Imants" on the Porsche Boards who is a Ferrari guy and is constantly playing the "devils advocate" and he makes us all take a good hard look at our biased enthusiasm and I often hate to agree with his input.

These pictures were from a resort in Playacar, Mexico, the Royal Hideaway. Very nice, relaxed, indulgent.

BULLCRAP!! This is just the problem with guys who bully others. You SHOULDN'T feel you need to walk on thin ice just because ONE GUY has a big mouth. These guys shut down interaction by making participants feel their contributions may not be at the standards of the group. WRONG!

Imants, you may be the greatest photographer in the whole world, but you are a BULLY!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some people no matter how talented are so small in so many ways that the only way they feel adequate is to be rude and condesending to others and mask it as constructive criticism. Anyone who shoots with a Leica should be able to post their pictures and receive helpful advice, not snide little remarks that add nothing . I've never read anywhere that you can't use a Leica to take pictures that you or your family can't enjoy .

Why is it that people get so worked up if someone posts negative comments about posted images?

Is this not what forums are for....sharing opinions and information?

If I post an image then I EXPECT criticism, that's why I post in the first place.There is no value for the photographer is he posts a mediocre image and just gets feedback like nice shot, great colors and good composition.

Sure everyone who gets a new toy likes to share his/her excitement but then others are invited to comment once images are posted, sort of normal I think.

Anyway bottom line...this is a forum for everyone so let everyone have their opinion instead of cultivating a false goody goody, kissy kissy,nicey nicey boring place.

Still haven't got an M8

Andy

It's easy to be a critic and hard to be a teacher. Shock-jock-style posts have the effect of getting attention and creating controversy, but unless they're framed in a way that promotes constructive discourse, they're a waste of time.

As stated in the forum rules, photos should be posted in the photo forum, but I also don't recall anything in the rules that prohibits vacation photos from being posted and allows only so-called fine-arts photography.

Larry

It's easy to be a critic and hard to be a teacher. Shock-jock-style posts have the effect of getting attention and creating controversy, but unless they're framed in a way that promotes constructive discourse, they're a waste of time.

As stated in the forum rules, photos should be posted in the photo forum, but I also don't recall anything in the rules that prohibits vacation photos from being posted and allows only so-called fine-arts photography.

Larry

There was no criticism of the photos in this thread, only criticism of where they were posted, and that there is no way to see that these were taken with M8 or 5D or whatever.

Look at the thread again. Imants only said: ".....once again no content with the images", which is true. They should have been posted in the photo forum. Some of you people need to get a grip.

P.S. I agree with Andy Middleton regarding criticism, even though that's not what this thread started out as...

Guilty again...Jono's big red stove thread started when I showed a picture of my camera bag with our red AGA oven in the background. I seem to have a way of stirring things up (law of unintended consequences?). Even though it's off topic, I think sometimes the most interesting threads are the ones that explore ideas other than the usual or expected. I personally have learned more by posting mediocre family travel pictures that mean something to me despite having no intrinsic photographic value to others than if I posted well composed pics that garnered some faint praise. And I have even been offered individual advice by PM.

I want to add that I love this Forum. Without it, I would have never had the courage to get the M8. I have learned about bags, lenses, software upgrades, bokeh, composition, Luigi- I could go on and on. It would be quite boring without Guy, Jono, Imants, Carsten, Parsens, Tim, et al. And I/we can continue to learn as we share comments, critical or otherwise. Thanks for the input.

Car

but what an enormous fridge! It belongs with the enormous red stove that Jono Slack was boasting about in an image a few weeks back. I think there is a food/camera connection in this forum, not to mention the amount of wine that shows up.

scott

There was no criticism of the photos in this thread, only criticism of where they were posted, and that there is no way to see that these were taken with M8 or 5D or whatever.

Look at the thread again. Imants only said: ".....once again no content with the images", which is true. They should have been posted in the photo forum. Some of you people need to get a grip.

David,

I don't believe I mentioned Imants, my post was meant as a broad comment on the tone of some threads and how misdirected and destructive they can become. (However, please note that I agree with Imants in regard to where photos should be posted.) Clearly, misinterpretation continues to be a problem.

Larry

David,

I don't believe I mentioned Imants, my post was meant as a broad comment on the tone of some threads and how misdirected and destructive they can become. (However, please note that I agree with Imants in regard to where photos should be posted.) Clearly, misinterpretation continues to be a problem.

Larry

I am with you Larry and thanks for the no nonsense rhetoric about the subject.

If you can you should read this month's Lenswork magazine editorial about photo critiques and criticisms by Brooks Jensen. This very thought provoking article really gets to the core of what fine art criticism is meant to discover, teach and provoke. I loved it but your mileage may vary.,

Woody Spedden

David,

Larry

Larry, I didn't really mean to direct my statement at you exclusively. Sorry it came out that way. I would agree with you regarding harsh criticism, I just don't see any here.

Larry, I didn't really mean to direct my statement at you exclusively. Sorry it came out that way. I would agree with you regarding harsh criticism, I just don't see any here.

David,

No harm done and no offense taken. I think everyone here is trying to do what they think is best. Compared with other forums, and what this one went through a few years ago, it's pretty civilized here.

Larry

Guest guy_mancuso
OUCH! I realize I'm not in the same league as most of the regulars on this forum but this attitude serves no real purpose other than to make me feel bad and stroke your ego. I wasn't looking for oohs and aahs just sharing my new found excitement for my new camera. I wasn't trying to make an artisitic statement either but collecting memories for my friends and family. And it is still smaller and more fun than my DSLR.

You remind me of Simon Cowel- critical and rude but sometimes right. I too have seen many M8 images and thought that they could have been taken with any camera and what was so special about them. Most forum members have the courtesy and respect to be a little more helpful and less critical than your approach. I'm signed up for the Leica workshop and enjoy what I've learned on this Forum. I will continue to learn and find the M8 a most enjoyable camera and wil not be discouraged by your "holier than thou" attitude. (It may be a while before I post other images though...)

You just keep posting pictures and have fun. Learning takes a lifetime and just enjoy it.

... and no comparison is made

.... same same again, a whole buch of images that say.... I got a m8, went on holidays, and it works see it was used to take photographs. Woopie

Post these in a canon forum

This is my first trip with the 5D. So big and so much fun compared to my M8....and nobody will be the wiser......

.....once again no content with the images

If this is what you need to do to enhance your pen1s size, then go for it.

Guest flatfour

stnami - What do you mean no comparison ? Carcam made a direct comparison with the 5D by saying the camera was small and handy and took pictures which were I assume just as good as the 5D as he didn't criticise them.

Guest stnami
Carcam made a direct comparison with the 5D by saying the camera was small and handy
you don't need photograps to support a statement that one camera is smaller than the other, unlees it was pictures of the cameras,,,,,,,sheeerkshk

I dont see why one would get grumpy about that?
never was grumpy seems to be a pet word for meaning something else.......... which I will leave to your imagination

If you guys want to download your SD cards here so be it...