Monochrom with Red/Orange/Yellow Filters

Manicouagan1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can any of those with the Monochrom report how the camera performs with color filters? Do the filters typically used to cut through haze perform as they do with panchromatic film? When taking pictures with large areas of blue sky using the stronger filters using 16-18-21-24mm focal lengths, is the sky evenly dark?

According to my information the yellow and green filters should have about the same effect as they have on normal panchromatic film. Red filters a bit less effective. If your main object is a darkening of the sky consider a polfilter as well.

I remember Sean Reid's writeup on the MM and his results using some filters. They were not as stark a difference from when I used them on B&W film. The red should have created a deeper sky to me. Thus, Jaap's comment may prove to be the way to go. Of course, after I hear many ordered various colored filters in anticipation of their MM arrival.

We will need to wait until the production cameras are available to see the final results. I will be duplicating my test done with color filters and the monochrome DSLR once my M9 monochrome arrives. The Red filter was weaker than with film, but this camera does not use a color balance filter over the detector.

That does not make much sense. Leica lenses are UV filtered by design, so adding an UV filter does not make any difference at all. Nor does an UV filter impact visible light.

Jaap, you got me to thinking about that so I dug out the box of filters I have. Of the clear filters, one is a "Leitz Wetzler Germany" and has "UVa" stamped on it. I don't believe I ever used it on a lens. The second is a B+W F-PRO Made in Germany "39 UV + Haze 1x". This the one I believe I used combined with a yellow filter. Frankly, I'm not sure how I ended up with the Leitz filter, but I question that if all Leica lenses are UV filtered why would they even bother to make an add-on UV filter? It's 39mm so is probably for an M lens, but even so I find it hard to believe Leica would make a filter for other manufacturer's lenses.

Perhaps Hoya will come out with versions of its filters designed for a digital sensor. Different intensity of color perhaps to make sensor respond as film
I am in the process of trying out a B&W 491 filter, which is basically a more precise version of the 1A, called Redhancer. It was alledgedly developed for digital.

Don't you have to use a filter with the M8 which blocks both IR and UV light? That would argue against Leica lenses being opaque to UV.

The M8 filter is dichroic, a 'cut' filter which blocks frequencies invisible to us, but still visible to the sensor.

A particular issue with haze where I live (on the Mississippi River) is the scattering of the visible color blue, so I tend to use an orange filter with long lenses.

The cover glass used over the M8 and M9 is an absorption filter. This is where most of the IR light is absorbed, and color correction is applied for the detector to have a response closer to film. The filter has a light green appearance. The IR cut filters used over the lens with the M8 and other digital cameras that used too weak of an absorption filter are Dichroic. This type of filter works by reflecting the undesired band of light away from the detector. This would make it undesirable for using on the detector of a camera such as the M8 and M9 with optics that are close to the film plane. A hot spot would be produced. First generation digital cameras and lower-end modern digital cameras use Dichroic filters over the sensor. Filters marked UV/IR for use over the lens are a hybrid: dichroic to reflect IR and absorbing to eliminate UV. Still home, getting over pneumonia, bored, thankyou all for putting up with my cyber-babbling.

Edited by brianv