21mm super angulon f3.4 hood ?????

mpmckenzie

I recall seeing them occasionally come up used, but the prices were outrageous, like $300 or more. But I recall from when I had that lens that like most hoods for ultrawide lenses it didn't really shade that much stray light. Which was a shame because the 21SA did have a much greater propensity to flare than the Elmarit pre-Asph I replaced it with. Keep your eyes peeled and you will locate a shade.

Hello mpmckenzie,

Welcome to the Forum. Even if you have been here for a while.

Don't forget: The primary job of a rigid lens hood is to protect against inadvertant impact & damage. Flare suppression is secondary.

Many users of wide angle lenses w/ & w/o lens hoods sometimes find it useful to try to shield their lens from exteraneous light w/ their bodies or w/ something or someone else because the wider angle of coverage means more potential for inadvertant light sources.

Best Regards,

Michael

Given that, as lct has shown, the 12501 isn't impossible to find, get one : I have it (indeed, as part of an Elmarit 28 - is the same hood and bears the 2 engravings) and is really an old style Leitz accessory : full metal, perfect finish, precise fitting : looks fine even if your Super Angulon is chrome (as mine)... :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Second hand original hoods: Leica 12501

New replacement ones: Keger for SA 21/3.4

Awesome! At least the prices have come down to a more sensible level.

Don't forget: The primary job of a rigid lens hood is to protect against inadvertant impact & damage. Flare suppression is secondary.

:confused::eek: First time I've heard that proclamation. But if it was true then lens designers need to go back and repeat mechanical physics 101,and this time try to stay awake, because a rigid hood transmits the shock of impact, whereas a deformable hood absorbs it.

is really an old style Leitz accessory : full metal, :)

Yours must be a really rare one! The one I had and every one I've ever seen has been of a hard plastic, except the round base and pushbuttons of course, that is metal.

Hello bocaburger,

A rigid metal lens hood absorbs a considerable portion of any impact/damage. It sometimes does so by crumpling.

A rigid plastic hood can absorb quite a bit of energy. Even while breaking

Both can absorb a significant ammount of energy being knocked off the lens.

Both deflect & absorb smaller impacts & minor potential damage.

If nothing else they are a barrier between the fragile glass & metal & trhe World around you.

Think of what that impact/energy would do to an unprotected lens.

Best Regards,

Michael

Luigi must refer to the 12511 hood i guess.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/12511

No, I mean the 12501 (I have no R devices at all :o)... my one is indeed full metal and does not bear the "12501" engraving but only the two lenses (21 & 28) specs : maybe is a not common variant... it was provided boxed with one of the very first Elmarit 28 (9 elements, Wetzlar, s/n 2.063.xxx)

Hi Luigi, interesting indeed. Was it the "12501M" hood perhaps?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yup, exactly as my 28... :) : Wetzlar - feet scale in red (item with yellow are even rarer, but exist...) - deep protruding back elements (meter fooled on M8... ;)). And also the rear cap is in metal , with a chrome "dot" for reference when mount - invisible in the above pic.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

So the rectangular part with the stepped baffles is metal on yours? I have never seen one where the entire hood was metal, only the circular part where it attaches to the lens. In fact I have never seen any rectangular clip-on or bayonet-on Leica hood, M or R, where the front (rectangular) part was metal (not speaking of the recent screw-on hoods). Always a very hard plastic. Yours has got to be amazingly rare. I've never seen it mentioned in any of the historical literature either.

The rectangular part of this 12501M does not look metal-made either.

So the rectangular part with the stepped baffles is metal on yours? I have never seen one where the entire hood was metal, only the circular part where it attaches to the lens. In fact I have never seen any rectangular clip-on or bayonet-on Leica hood, M or R, where the front (rectangular) part was metal (not speaking of the recent screw-on hoods). Always a very hard plastic. Yours has got to be amazingly rare. I've never seen it mentioned in any of the historical literature either.

Sorry, friends... :o : I finally took out my hood (I was at the sea - on vacation... ) and, I admit, I made a WRONG statement : the ring is metal but the rectangular "stepped" part is plastic... very solid, but plastic, definitely... sorry to have caused this rumor : ring is engraved "Leitz Wetzlar Germany" with 1 : 2.8 / 28 and 1: 3.4 / 21. The back cap, on the contrary, is really of metal.

Funny enough, the box of the Elmarit 28 1st bears an image of the lens that makes to think of a chrome one... :cool:

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Luigi- Good one as I never realized the feet scale had different colors for same lens, but then again I study lenses less than I use them. So mine has yellow feet. Is the quality just the same as the red feet models?

I think they are at all identical in quality : is it your one a Wetzlar or a Canada item ?

Same here. Not clear what difference there is between 12501 and 12501M hoods though.

• 6 years later...