I love my M4-2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry for the spam posting today, but this hood just arrived for my 35mm colour skopar f2.5, it's a shapeways 3D printed hood designed with a bayonet fit for this lens. I'm yet to shoot some frames with it but it is nice and compact and seems a very good finish. I've been wanting a compact hood for the 35mm since I bought it.

35skopHood_2.jpg

• Like 4

Sorry for the spam posting today, but this hood just arrived for my 35mm colour skopar f2.5, it's a shapeways 3D printed hood designed with a bayonet fit for this lens. I'm yet to shoot some frames with it but it is nice and compact and seems a very good finish. I've been wanting a compact hood for the 35mm since I bought it.

35skopHood_2.jpg

The original one I have is round

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I had CV CS 35 PII on my M4-2 prior to Leica lens. My copy was flaring bad without hood and it has to be bigger than cosmetical one.

Anywho. 

My M4-2 spend about ten months in service. It was released couple of days ago with the verdict "if it wasn't fixed, curtains has to be replaced."

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I checked the camera right away, it is OK for now. And took some low light pictures with Jupiter-3 and HP5+ @3200.

Printed on Ilford Ilfobrom:

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, welshtog

I really like your camera style. May I ask what tape do you use for covering the letters? They seem to match the black chrome very well.

Thanks

I just found this forum, I'm looking forward to joining in. I got my "new" M4-2 a few weeks ago. I bought a voigtlander 35mm 2.5 which is great, I also have a russian 3.5cm f3.5 and a jupiter 50mm f2, I'm hoping to replace the 50's with some old Leica 50mm glass soon, budget willing, it will probably be a summitar. I owned and used an M2 about 25 years ago with an Elmar 50mm f2.8 and elmarit 3.5cm f3.5 and the new camera has brought me back to my old images, projects that I shot during my college days. I'm looking in to having my old negs and slides scanned to preserve them.

myM42_06.jpg

• Like 2

Ah well, my beloved M4-2 has started playing up. I recovered it in a lovely CameraLeather and all it does in thanks is start screwing around with the slow speeds! Never mind a service is now booked and I have treated it to a nice new partner on its return, a 50mm Elmar-M  :D all ready for my next trip away.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is my first post on the forum, so I thought this would be a good thread in which to make my introduction. After resisting the temptation for years, I finally gave in and bought an M4-2. Being Canadian, (now living in Toronto just a couple of hours south of Midland), the ELC bodies and lenses have always been special to me. Initially I had just the CV 35mm f/1.4 Nokton, but I pretty quickly found a nice Summicron DR and eyes, and just recently added a CV 90mm f/3.5 APO-Lanthar. Here's "the family":

• Like 3

35skopHood_2.jpg

I bought a Shapeways 3D hood for my Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 lens, the ordering and delivery were quick and easy. They said that the bayonet cutouts in the hood might need cleaning out to fit it and they were not joking, it took a long time to clean out the slots enough to fit the hood and I got worried attempting to fit it that I might be twisting the front of the lens apart. It fits now. I wondered when I ordered it whether the 3D material would be very strong, it feels like metal and quite solid.

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping to replace the 50's with some old Leica 50mm glass soon, budget willing, it will probably be a summitar.

My Summitar pretty much lives on my M4-2. It makes a great blending of a basic Leica M body with a classic LTM lens. My Summitar is a coated very late-production example.

29619648317_08c44bace2_b.jpg

Here's an example of the M4-2/Summitar combo on Plus-X:

26193758506_165619a03b_b.jpg

Cheers, Allan

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

I don't understand why there isn't more love for it.. This is my "new" one. Feels and works as good as every other M! 

Michael 

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all.,

I am new to the forum and have recently come back to Leica rangefinders. Found this kit on the local Craigslist at a price I could not pass on. Added a 50mm Summicron to the kit and got the camera a CLA.

I am enjoying and learning much from the forum, but it does not help with the GAS.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

joining the group with my M4-2 . it is my number 14th M and is one of my favourite with the MA.  bought it from a professional photographer in Paris who use it . get the original strap wich is the best leica one.

I thing the M4-2 deserve the name of the best buy Leica and certainly the most collectable one as it save the brand , is the smallest serial, and was design for profesional photographers. I did a CLA and the viewfinder is as brigt as my new MA.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

the machine and the result.

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

My M4-2  gives light leaks, sometimes, fash terminal went out, but it is best film camera I used. I purchased it for 650$, it went for service three times. Still, I like it as camera which is just not obstructing me. I had M4-P and M3 as well, but 35 mm lens and flash combo works best with M4-2 for me.

I was trying to use Bessa R2M as spare, second one, but it just nowhere near M4-2 in handling. 

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if any of the M4-2 Leicas were actually manufactured in Wetzlar Germany? I have a weird one myself, very early M4-2 (apparently one of the first ones ever manufactured) and I just realized it has original plastic bag where the camera was stored in and the plastic bag has "Ernst Leitz GMBH, Leica, Made in Germany, Fabrique en allemagne" written on it. The camera also has "Leitz Wetzlar" written on top plate, in addition to having "Made in Canada" written on top plate. It also has black lugs, but no "Leitz" red dot.

Here's the camera

• Like 7