I love my M4-2

Does the shutter dial locks i clicks in each speed?
Yes it does, there's no movement of the shutter dial at each speed.

Hello, there is already a posting for the M4-2 lovers:

Oops, my apologies everyone! How did I miss that, I tried to check before I posted this.

Cheers, Allan

• Like 2

Here's my "new" M4-2 along with my "user" M6; a perfect pairing, I can use two different lenses with both cameras with the same film (or speed) simultaneously and use the M6 to meter for both!

10039756874_15925b9682_b.jpg

Cheers, Allan

• Like 4

350 Euros at a camera shop in Frankfurt, including winder (but w/o lens, of course). It's from the second production batch (S/N close to the one of the cobbu2). For the price of a used Bessa Rx, it's an incredibly smooth and sexy camera, only surpassed (and marginally at that) by my M2 and M3 (which have recently been CLA'd). Only thing I don't like, the RF patch is a bit more flare prone than that of my M2 or M3 in side-lit situations, it seems that this batch is already missing the "infamous" condensor part, same as the M4-P or M6. Greatest thing is ... it doesn't feature that bloody red dot :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by joeswe
  • Like 10

That's a very nice looking camera! What lens do you have on there?

Thanks and I was waiting for that question :D No, it's not a black paint 8 lens Summicron, most unfortunately, only a humble Voigtländer Color-Skopar 50mm in disguise. I hope I will be forgiven for putting the Leica cap on it to fool you a bit ... This lens is made from brass and quite hefty despite of its tiny size, which gives a nicely balanced combo with the M4-2.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

still loving this camera...

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I have it all together. :) After months of thinking, speculating, searching and waiting I am the proud owner of a serviced Leica M4-2 with a Canadian made 35mm Summicron (the only German made thing on the camera is the lens hood that came with the lens) . I loved this Summircon on my M8 so I am really intrigued to know what it can do on my M4-2. Ready and eager to go on this film journey!

Edited by Tom B.
  • Like 8

Hi

My new M4-2 has Wetzlar under the Leitz logo on the top plate, unlike all the others pictured on this thread. Mine is quite an early one. Why do some have Wetzlar on the top plate and some don't? Incidentally, I have Canada on the back, to the right of the sync socket.

Cheers, Julian

• Like 1

Julian, the M4-2 has been produced with various types of engraving. The very first ones also had a red Leitz disc on the front, which was soon abandoned. Laney describes five variations of the engraving, yours is his type 3. The types of engraving can't all be fixed to specific batches and years of production, several of the engraving types seem to have been used randomly. My M4-2 is from the second batch and was made in 1978, but it has the more common engraving of "Leitz" on the top and "Canada" on the back.

Lex

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My first Leica. Purchased in 1979 new. Still love the pure 50 and 90mm framelines and hot shoe.

• Like 5

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...