Haggling in Red Dot

olliegapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I'm going to be getting my first Leica (a used M6) from Red Dot cameras on wednesday and was wondering how likely I'd be able to haggle and how much I could. I don't want to seem rude or our of place by offering below asking but Im on such a tight budget, even after begging and borrowing.

Anyone had any experience?

Sorry if this has already been covered or if im in the wrong place, still feel very new to the forum.

No harm in trying your luck.

However, if the camera is described as "unused" when the frame counter clearly shows otherwise, your haggling may be a little more persuasive:

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=34_35&products_id=4542

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=34_35&products_id=4543

I can't believe you can't buy one cheaper on Ebay. PayPal and Ebay buyer protection is weighted in favour of the buyer, so just make sure it is working when it arrives and matches the description. I have only had a bad experience with Red Dot buying mail order, where I would have thought accurate description of the goods would be a prime concern for the seller. So whatever you do, make sure it matches the description of the camera (find it online and print it off before you go), and if/when you find it isn't mint/ex+ etc point to the blurb. It may on the other hand be great, in which case pay the going price and run home.

Steve

Hi, I'm going to be getting my first Leica (a used M6) from Red Dot cameras on wednesday and was wondering how likely I'd be able to haggle and how much I could. I don't want to seem rude or our of place by offering below asking but Im on such a tight budget, even after begging and borrowing.

Sorry if this has already been covered or if im in the wrong place, still feel very new to the forum.

If you're lucky, Ivor, the owner of Red Dot will respond to your question, as he's a forum member!

Are you buying just the camera or a lens as well? I usually try to negotiate the deal especially if I'm buying s/h but I wouldn't expect too much - Leica prices are fairly uniform.

If you're lucky, Ivor, the owner of Red Dot will respond to your question, as he's a forum member!

Are you buying just the camera or a lens as well? I usually try to negotiate the deal especially if I'm buying s/h but I wouldn't expect too much - Leica prices are fairly uniform.

Ill be getting a lens too, which is where I'd need/want to haggle a bit, so maybe as a package I'll have some luck.

I like having the 6 month warranty they offer which you dont get from eBay. I also intend to go in-store, sit down and take my time deciding on the specific camera and lens combo I want, inspecting each part and trying to get a good price. It'll be a great experience anyway, popped in to browse on the way to a hospital appointment before, such a fantastic shop.

Thanks for all the replies, I always get a bit nervous posting a thread to a forum I'm new to, but I like it here! :)

Guest Ming Rider

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all. First post on this section.

Having bought two M8's in the past from him, I can say with relative certainty that he won't haggle. Mind you that was before the economic downturn really took hold, so who knows ?

No harm in trying. Good luck.

Edited by Ming Rider

The first rule of haggleing is do it in private ( don't do it on a forum ) and don't discuss it on a forum.

BrianP:eek:

The first rule of haggleing is do it in private ( don't do it on a forum ) and don't discuss it on a forum.

BrianP:eek:

Starting to sound like fight club!

I wasn't after any specifics, just wanted to know I it was even possible as I don't want to offend anyone there and need to know what set I'll be able to acquire on my very limited budget.

Looking forward to shooting Leica! I love the Mamiya 7 so this should be a great investment.

Cheers

Ollie

Sorry, I should have added he's also a nice man, a very very nice man :)

In that case, he should not mind having his potentially misleading used stock descriptions pointed out to him in the course of any haggling, should he.

Even if you have to pay a little more at Red Dot, it's worth something to be able to hold it in you hands and check it out. Besides they're probably easier to deal with if it has to be returned for any reason.

If you have never owned a film Leica, they can show you how to load the film. You should be able to get an owners manual on the internet if they don't give you one at the store.

(I don't haggle at the supermarket though, or other places where one wouldn't 'normally' consider haggling, just for the avoidance of pedantry).

LOL :D

I just received, 4 hours ago, a used chrome MP from Red Dot Cameras.. and it is exactly as described and seems to work perfectly (need to test a bit more). And by the way.. what a beautiful camera!! The six months warranty also helped me to decide for this one instead of one from ebay.

Edited by uaqpau
  • Like 3

Guest Ming Rider
LOL :D

I just received, 4 hours ago, a used chrome MP from Red Dot Cameras.. and it is exactly as described and seems to work perfectly (need to test a bit more). And by the way.. what a beautiful camera!! The six months warranty also helped me to decide for this one instead of one from ebay.

That is a good point indeed. The six month warranty is worth more than money, like peace of mind.

And if the truth be told, I don't think they're more expensive than anyone else. If anything they work out cheaper.

Guest Ming Rider
Welcome to this section! :D

I stumbled over what to call it. I thought about Subdivision but worried that might attract the Rush fans. :)

Cheers, nice to be here.

Guest Ming Rider
. . . (I don't haggle at the supermarket though, or other places where one wouldn't 'normally' consider haggling, just for the avoidance of pedantry).

I highly recommend trying.

You'll often hear me in Tesco's shouting "what, 10 pence for 4 bananas you highway robber !" :D

Edited by Ming Rider
  • Like 1