Willing to buy new 24 or 28 lens.

jip

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can't choose between Elmar 24 3.8 or Elmarit 28mm 2.8

Who has used both and know what lens is better, I know this is a dull question since it depends on what I'll be doing with it... but just in regular which do you think is a better companion for my M8?

Jip,

One thing to consider is that with a 24mm lens on your M8 you'll probably need an external viewfinder but with a 28mm you won't. I say "probably" because the full viewfinder view on an M8 is roughly 24mm but you wouldn't get the prime Rangefinder viewfinder benefit of being able to see people etc before they enter the frame.

Pete.

• Like 1

The Leica M8's widest brightlines are 24mm, thats why I don't wanna go to 21mm! :)

You're right, Jip, I'd forgotten that my M8's viewfinder included the 24mm brightlines although they're right at the edges. (The frame lines are 50/75, 28.90, and 24/35.)

Pete.

I can't choose between Elmar 24 3.8 or Elmarit 28mm 2.8

but just in regular which do you think is a better companion for my M8?

Das Bessere ist der Feind des Guten: you'll be happy with the Biogon 25mm. Ask jaapv, wpalank and many others.

Hmm the Zeiss 25mm Didn't think of that one yet, does it call the 24mm framelines?

Then if we are calling up the CarlZeiss lenses anyway, what about their 28mm 2,8 lens? Should I take the 25mm or 28mm of CZ?

Edited by jip
adding a question

Jip, my friend Gary Tyson in Hong Kong shoots with the Zeiss 25 and it's a stunning lens. My advice is to plan your lenses around the full frame M9, because you know you're going to have one sooner or later. You can see some of Gary's shots from Cambodia with this lens here.

I prefer the 21mm focal length, and had the Zeiss 21/2.8 on my M8 (a fantastic combination) and now use the Leica 21SEM on the M9. Both are outstanding. I tend to shoot mainly with my 35, so when I want wide I want W I D E. The 28 just is too close to the 35 for me.

• Like 1

Thanks for the URL Stephen, I looked through the pictures, and they all look great!

What you said about aiming to think about using them on a M9 is indead in my mind, thats why I want to go as wide as 24mm... but when you are saying those CZ's are as good as I just saw they are I tend to buy Zeiss instead of Leica...

Hi jip, I owned and used both on my M8 and M9.

One is roughly a 36, the second a 32 equivalent.

None is a true wide on the M8, thus I suggest you to buy an Elmarit 28.

It's faster and a great performer and you buy a 35 equivalent for M8 that will be useful also on M9.

Later, if you need a wide, you could buy a 21, that will be a perfect wide also on M9 or film M cameras.

24 mm is nor a true wide neither on M9.

I eventually traded my 24, but I kept Elmarit 28.

Regards

Franco

I have both 24/3.8 and 28/2.8 asph lenses that i use on an M8.2. Those lenses match each other very well. Both are very sharp with high contrast and very little flare. Bokeh looks very close as well. The 24 is softer in the corners but it is not really disturbing on the M8. As long as you don't envision to use them on full frame, it boils down to choosing field of view and aperture IMHO. If your favorite focal length is 35 on full frame, you should like the Elmarit 28 better.

For me 28mm was the focal length for the M8. As said above the 24mm lines are right at the edge of the finder making them hard to see, and don't having the out of frame view.

The top 28mm is the 28 cron. Sure its a lot of money but after I bought it I never looked back. Now I have a m9 I will keep the 28mm cron instead of a 35mm cron because I like its rendering that much.

Also have had the 28/2.8 zeiss. It was an absolute great lens. Nice zeiss colours, great contrast and good sharp. In the reviews they find the 28 zeiss not to be on par with the 25 zeiss, but my version was absolute top notch. In sharpness and colors just as nice as my cron. Only missing the speed and cron's rendering.

The contrast with the zeiss is higher, more on par with the 28 elmarit asph.

Big plus for the 28 elmarit over the 28 biogon is the smaller size, and the focusknob.

So, reading that both are about the same in image quality I would take the 28 elmarit ASPH because of that handeling.

btw, on fotoapparatuur.nl there is an used 28 cron for sale for 2800 euro askingprice. ;)