Date and time not saving

jenxi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I just got my first Leica, a used M8. However, after I got home, I realised that the date and time refused to be set. I have changed them accordingly and saved them. The EXIF and menu page only show 01/01/1970 and 00:00. When I choose settings and go to the menu pages where I am supposed to set the date and time, the previously set times are there.

How can I deal with this issue? Is it a dying or dead internal battery that won't save the information? If so, how can I rectify it? Would I need to send it in for the battery to be replaced and what's the estimated cost of doing so?

First reset the camera by running down the battery as far as it will go ( Autoshutoff off). If that does not do the trick, try reloading the firmware. If it still has amnesia problems it is indeed a case for the friendly gnomes in Solms, or your local repair facility.

Thanks jaapv! The used dealer suggested that I update the firmware. It was 2.000 and I updated it to 2.014. The problem didn't go away. I'll try running the battery down to see if it helps.

Would it be a costly repair? The shop gave a three-month warranty but I'll have to check with them if covers such a repair.

It should cover this, otherwise what is a guaranty for? Otherwise just return the camera. It is not as if second-hand M8s are a rarity.

However it is quite possibe that the camera has been sitting unused without a battery for more than three months. In that case the internal battery will just have run down, it would take up to 48 hours to recharge.

Hey guys, the problem has been resolved. It took the camera some time time to recharge the internal battery.

In general, the clock (Real Time Clock =RTC) is usually designed in as

a separate IC drawing less than 1 uA which for it to work requires a battery for continuous operation, usually a small Li battery (3V).The cost of components in medium quantities ( 1000s) is less than $2.

The battery could also be replaced by a large capacitor holding the charge for several days to possibly weeks.

In battery case , using diodes (15c) the circuit is designed such that when the main battery is in, and charged, it supplies all the needed power to the the RTC so the backup battery has extended life.

In capacitor case the main battery keeps holding the capacitor at full charge.

When the main battery is removed, the cap. slowly discharges and after few days or weeks it can no longer supply enough power to the RTC to continue running.

I assume Leica took capacitor approach, Since the capacitor does not ever ( hopefully) need replacement, no repairs are needed.In worst case one has to put in the main battery and let it charge the capacitor, then reset the clock rather than sent the camera to Solms to replace 35c battery.

Jan

• 8 years later...
On 6/8/2012 at 1:14 AM, jenxi said:

Hey guys, the problem has been resolved. It took the camera some time time to recharge the internal battery.

Hi Jenxi, I got the same issue about my used Leica TL. The time and date will reset upon removing the battery. Could you please explain that how to recharge the internal battery? how many days did you take for recharging the internal battery? Waiting for your comments.

Edited by Jason.Liu

On 3/2/2021 at 3:43 PM, Jason.Liu said:

Hi Jenxi, I got the same issue about my used Leica TL. The time and date will reset upon removing the battery. Could you please explain that how to recharge the internal battery? how many days did you take for recharging the internal battery? Waiting for your comments.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, you've picked up a thread that's been dormant for nearly 9 years and you're addressing a forum member whose last visit here was 6 years ago.

Pete.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...